IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

All right, I'll admit my post was a bit too harsh, and I know better than to call folks stupid. I'm well aware that smart people can believe dumb things. So for that, I apologize to @El Gringo.  My breaking point was seeing this post with the previous 5G post still in recent memory.  And you know dude, I think we've met a couple of times while you were doing good work out at Christ Church. But I suppose I wasn't making any sense to you there either. 😉

• Like 1

Carl Sagan’s thoughts on critical thinking:

1. Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the “facts.”

2. Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

3. Arguments from authority carry little weight — “authorities” have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.

4. Spin more than one hypothesis. If there’s something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained. Then think of tests by which you might systematically disprove each of the alternatives. What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian selection among “multiple working hypotheses,” has a much better chance of being the right answer than if you had simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy.

5. Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it’s yours. It’s only a way station in the pursuit of knowledge. Ask yourself why you like the idea. Compare it fairly with the alternatives. See if you can find reasons for rejecting it. If you don’t, others will.

6. Quantify. If whatever it is you’re explaining has some measure, some numerical quantity attached to it, you’ll be much better able to discriminate among competing hypotheses. What is vague and qualitative is open to many explanations. Of course there are truths to be sought in the many qualitative issues we are obliged to confront, but finding them is more challenging.

7. If there’s a chain of argument, every link in the chain must work (including the premise) — not just most of them.

8. Occam’s Razor. This convenient rule-of-thumb urges us when faced with two hypotheses that explain the data equally well to choose the simpler.

9. Always ask whether the hypothesis can be, at least in principle, falsified. Propositions that are untestable, unfalsifiable are not worth much. Consider the grand idea that our Universe and everything in it is just an elementary particle — an electron, say — in a much bigger Cosmos. But if we can never acquire information from outside our Universe, is not the idea incapable of disproof? You must be able to check assertions out. Inveterate skeptics must be given the chance to follow your reasoning, to duplicate your experiments and see if they get the same result.

I know some of you will probably pick and choose from the above to prove your point.  Save it.  You don’t get it.  

Regarding Galileo and other ancient scientists, yes.  Also we had basically a theocracy in Europe and not everyone had access to information as we do today.

The H. Pylori science is more applicable.  So what happened there?  It’s not only accepted now but I know they are still tweaking and understanding things regarding our intestinal biome.  Just curious?  Was it lay guys on YouTube that convinced doctors and microbiologists on the validity of that hypothesis?  Or was it fellow scientists working on the basis of the scientific method to reproduce the results and get that peer reviewed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strange thing about this leaked audio is how little it's being reported on. Is it really a surprise at all?  When ironsides sent his fluffer out to tell us "there's more important things than living" they showed their hand weeks ago.

We just had our highest rate of infections but today summer school is cleared to start 6/1 as well as daycare centers. This is provided they practice safe distancing. There is ZERO possibility of keeping safe distancing practices in place when it comes to kids.  Other than keeping them home, or making school year round and taking more breaks when there is an outbreak, they are going to get covid and spread it to family, friends and staff. 

Many TX government meetings/training is suspended until december and will remain virtual until then. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

As much as I am not a fan of Abbott, almost half of the cases are from meat packing plants, nursings homes and prisons. Which, if you read between the lines, says "hey, you're probably gonna be ok..."

But how do you get that message out? It is an interesting tightrope and, quite frankly, Patrick was so quick to offer up others to get his barber opened, why can't we get him on "the list"?

Basically a large part of this mismanagement is the lack of transparency around risks and factors.

• Like 1

Problem is, "only the old, poor and incarcerated will get it" attitude from state and federal governments is overlooking one crucial detail. Children.

The people infected have children, which will go to school, maybe your kid's school, and spread the virus to students, parents, faculty or other staff members, who also have families. The state leaders are aware that places like elementary schools are one of the largest vectors of virus transmission, but are marching forward with business as usual plans even though they were advised to do otherwise. Schools are the daycares of the working class, and they have to get kids butts in seats in order to get the cash rolling again (which it wont). 

Just wait till' suburban taylor or tyler or sklyer and kyler gets covid. These attitudes will change real fast.

Totally agree on the mismanagement and misinformation. It's certainly been amateur hour at best

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Problem is, "only the old, poor and incarcerated will get it" attitude from state and federal governments is overlooking one crucial detail. Children.

The people infected have children, which will go to school, maybe your kid's school, and spread the virus to students, parents, faculty or other staff members, who also have families. The state leaders are aware that places like elementary schools are one of the largest vectors of virus transmission, but are marching forward with business as usual plans even though they were advised to do otherwise. Schools are the daycares of the working class, and they have to get kids butts in seats in order to get the cash rolling again (which it wont). 

Just wait till' suburban taylor or tyler or sklyer and kyler gets covid. These attitudes will change real fast.

Totally agree on the mismanagement and misinformation. It's certainly been amateur hour at best

I agree it is odd that they have really only broadcasted about nursing home deaths. If they're releasing prisoners, are there actually prisons elsewhere that are packed with people with covid? Why don't we ever hear about children coming down with it?

• Like 2

Got an email from Lifetime Fitness earlier this week... Said based on the results of the survey then sent out about a two week ago they have decided to open the gym near me... And will be conducting vigorous environment cleaning...

My response... Sorry... Nope.

Here's the email...

I hope you and your family have remained safe and healthy during this time away.

Based on encouraging member feedback, we are pleased to announce Life Time Austin South will reopen on Thursday, May 21 at 5am. To give you an opportunity to experience the changes we’ve made as outlined below, we are providing you complimentary access to the club May 21 through May 24.  On May 25, 2020, we will charge pro-rated dues for the remainder of May.  If you still have a dues credit on your membership account for the period from March 17 to March 31, 2020, we will apply that credit toward your pro-rated May dues payment and a portion of your June dues payment as applicable.

Your health and safety is our highest priority, and we have taken extensive safety measures including: 
  • ENHANCED CLEANING
    • Team members equipped with disinfectant spray bottles and towels for regular cleaning of all high-touch surfaces with hospital grade disinfectant.
    • Comprehensive deep cleaning and disinfecting processes in the club each evening.
    • Hand sanitizing and cleaning stations throughout the club that provide disinfecting products for members to apply before and after using equipment.
  • SOCIAL DISTANCING:
    • Signage facilitating increased spacing between fitness floor equipment, in locker rooms, and throughout various areas of the club.
    • Requiring reservations for group fitness classes to regulate class sizes, and schedules adjusted to allow for thorough cleaning between classes.
    • Reservations required for all ages in the child center/Kids Academy (where available) to help kids practice social distancing and allow for additional cleaning; dedicating other areas of the club for smaller group sizes.
  • ADDITIONAL PRECAUTIONS:
    • Masks and temperature checks for all team members.
    • Guidance for members to adhere to health and social distancing requirements.
    • Initially limiting some amenities and services to promote safety. In accordance with governmental orders, showers will be temporarily unavailable.
For more information regarding our cleaning and safety protocols watch this video or visit https://mylt.life/safety.

With everyone’s health and safety in mind, please  uphold the following prior to visiting the club:
  • Stay home if you’re feeling ill.
  • Bring your own water as refill stations may be unavailable at this time for safety.
  • Bring and wear a mask if you choose. Masks also will be available to members for a nominal fee.
  • Reserve your studio, yoga or cycle class, as all classes will be reservation-only via the website or app so we can ensure ample space.
  • Reserve your kids for Kids Academy classes where available – all ages are now required to ensure safety and small groups. 
  • If you wish to schedule other services, visit the website for available services and amenities.
  • Limit your visit to just those on your membership as no guests will initially be allowed.
Please let me know if you have any questions about our opening plans or preparations. 

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JMR said:

I agree it is odd that they have really only broadcasted about nursing home deaths. If they're releasing prisoners, are there actually prisons elsewhere that are packed with people with covid? Why don't we ever hear about children coming down with it?

Nursing homes gets clicks & views because we all love our grandma & grandpa and can also be dismissive and say.....well they were old. We also have family in assisted/hospice and thats a total mess right now.  Agree on the prison situation. Was there testing prior to release? A place for them to go for quarantine and beyond?

As the parent of a teenager with a heart condition, I can say we are pretty tuned into news/data regarding kids and covid. Can easily get really scary and just have to step away. I have friends & family that work in education from campus to state governance levels, and all are very concerned about the upcoming school year. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

What's strange are people who are pretending that anything will go back to the way it was pre-covid. What we saw this weekend is the tip of the iceberg, and will only get much, much worse when the eviction/foreclosure protection runs out. Scary stuff.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

One might think that covid is yesterdays news. People are getting back to work. They're not getting sick, despite what the news is trying to make you believe. It's time to move on to the next distraction. What was once fear has been replaced by violence.

• Albert locked this topic