IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

Ventured to HEB in CP at Parmer and 1431. I was surprised how many folks had masks and gloves. No way to quantify in any ways but took notice that large majority of the few who arent wearing masks there were young 20/ 30s. Then I noticed none had wedding rings on. For whatever use that observation is. I know, so scientific.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another thing, I don't get the gloves. You don't get it through your hands.  I think wearing gloves is liable to make people more relaxed.  If you touch an infected surface with gloves, then touch your mouth/nose/eyes, you'll still get it.

The people that are using them at stores or wherever, unless they're changing gloves between customers or after each order, it's a waste of gloves.

58 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Another thing, I don't get the gloves. You don't get it through your hands.  I think wearing gloves is liable to make people more relaxed.  If you touch an infected surface with gloves, then touch your mouth/nose/eyes, you'll still get it.

The people that are using them at stores or wherever, unless they're changing gloves between customers or after each order, it's a waste of gloves.

My guess is it creates a deterrent or reminder not to touch your face? Or once you leave and get in your car, your hands are clean?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

That and if you're gonna be finger f@cking all the produce, put some gloves on for christs sake.

Unless you picked your nose with the gloves. 

I used A glove once to pump gas.  That was convenient. 

with bare hands, I just pretend my TP broke and I got the stink finger so I’m very conscious of what I touch.

• Haha 2

One of the few times I have gone to HEB, some tool sat at the oranges for probably 5 minutes fondling them looking for the perfect one while he caught up with an old friend on his cell phone. No mask of course. I gave him some dirty looks but really wanted to tell him to pick out his chit and GTF out. Pretty much everyone else was being diligent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Then I noticed none had wedding rings on. For whatever use that observation is. I know, so scientific.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think this is actually a very interesting observation and I would posit the following:

1. Single people are more apt in my opinion to engage in risky behavior. Younger ones are probably in the dating world so they are already in a "risk" mode. Older people are probably divorced so there is nobody to bring the disease home to, or maybe they left a relationship that was "too controlling" and now they have their freedom so they aren't gonna let anyone tell them what to do.

2. Some people that are married and do not wear rings (based on my friends) tend to be more "free spirited", i.e. "I'm not following the norms of society."

3. People with wedding rings are more inclined to also have children (probably 90% or more) so they would probably be more of a nurturer than an adventurer.

But, hey, I'm an economist, not a social scientist so what do I know.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

signal-2020-05-28-212858.jpeg

This is really good advice. After seeing this I changed my behavior and I can say that after a few days I find it WAY more comfortable to wear underwear. Far less junk chafing. Where was this graphic when I was growing up?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, quixoft said:

There are lots of studies popping up(including the isolated cruise ship) showing that up to 80% of people infected are asymptomatic.

Most people that don't feel sick don't feel the need to wear a mask, right or wrong. 

This is why we are doomed as a society.

You have to believe a good percentage of asymptomatic carriers that are shedding virus.  It is why this is not going away soon.

what I cannot wrap my head around are those that want things to go back to normal.  If you advocate for opening businesses back up, you should advocate for masks, especially if you believe that there is a significant percentage of asymptomatic carriers that are contagious.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

what I cannot wrap my head around are those that want things to go back to normal.  If you advocate for opening businesses back up, you should advocate for masks, especially if you believe that there is a significant percentage of asymptomatic carriers that are contagious.

Everyone needs to get their head around things will never be normal again.

Those demanding businesses open up were doing so because the closed businesses were inconveniencing them. Do you honestly believe that the person who is demanding a barber reopen because they need a haircut is going to also be considerate enough to wear a mask?

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

You have to believe a good percentage of asymptomatic carriers that are shedding virus.  It is why this is not going away soon.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Everyone needs to get their head around things will never be normal again.

Those demanding businesses open up were doing so because the closed businesses were inconveniencing them. Do you honestly believe that the person who is demanding a barber reopen because they need a haircut is going to also be considerate enough to wear a mask?

Yep. These two quotes are exactly why it cannot be controlled. But telling people they are wrong and calling them idiots for their decisions will never get them to change their mind. I learned a long time ago that I cannot control what other people choose to do(or not do) and there is no sense in stressing myself out and getting upset over it. They aren't going to change. Life's too short to worry about what you cannot control

The best you can do is to take actions to protect yourself against the actions of others and that doesn't just apply to COVID. Treat it sort of like defensive driving. You know there are plenty of bad drivers on the road that could easily get you killed, so you just have to pay attention and do your best to avoid them.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting article on why people refuse to change their minds. I know I'm guilty of it. It's difficult for people to be truly open minded to different beliefs. Just take a look at the course of history and you instances of it. Sometimes it involves tens of millions of people dying from wars due to differences in political/religious/whatever beliefs.

“Once something is added to your collection of beliefs, you protect it from harm. You do this instinctively and unconsciously when confronted with attitude-inconsistent information. Just as confirmation bias shields you when you actively seek information, the backfire effect defends you when the information seeks you, when it blindsides you. Coming or going, you stick to your beliefs instead of questioning them. When someone tries to correct you, tries to dilute your misconceptions, it backfires and strengthens those misconceptions instead. Over time, the backfire effect makes you less skeptical of those things that allow you to continue seeing your beliefs and attitudes as true and proper.”

“McRaney points out that the backfire effect is due in large part to our cognitive laziness — our minds simply prefer explanations that take less effort to process, and consolidating conflicting facts with our existing beliefs is enormously straining:

The more difficult it becomes to process a series of statements, the less credit you give them overall. During metacognition, the process of thinking about your own thinking, if you take a step back and notice that one way of looking at an argument is much easier than another, you will tend to prefer the easier way to process information and then leap to the conclusion that it is also more likely to be correct. In experiments where two facts were placed side by side, subjects tended to rate statements as more likely to be true when those statements were presented in simple, legible type than when printed in a weird font with a difficult-to-read color pattern. Similarly, a barrage of counterarguments taking up a full page seems to be less persuasive to a naysayer than a single, simple, powerful statement.”

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/05/13/backfire-effect-mcraney/

Edited by quixoft

We can basically thank the tobacco industry and the petroleum industry for this mess. They have been spending billions to convince us that scientists are dumb and we should “trust our gut” instead of facts. Look at the top countries being impacted today and you see a trend - “strong” authoritarian leaders who tell you facts don’t matter. 

This is why we can’t have nice things. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, quixoft said:

Yep. These two quotes are exactly why it cannot be controlled. But telling people they are wrong and calling them idiots for their decisions will never get them to change their mind. I learned a long time ago that I cannot control what other people choose to do(or not do) and there is no sense in stressing myself out and getting upset over it. They aren't going to change. Life's too short to worry about what you cannot control

The best you can do is to take actions to protect yourself against the actions of others and that doesn't just apply to COVID. Treat it sort of like defensive driving. You know there are plenty of bad drivers on the road that could easily get you killed, so you just have to pay attention and do your best to avoid them.

That’s the problem I have though.  With Covid-19 I wear my mask to protect you and you wear your mask to protect me.  Short of a full respirator to go shopping (I have seen people walking the street with a dual cartridge gas mask) you can’t protect yourself with 100% or even 99% effectiveness. 

when we go shopping and bring in our groceries and have to wipe everything down because I can’t trust my fellow citizens to do the right thing, I curse them.

Maybe idiots is the wrong term.  How about 3 terms instead?  Close-minded, selfish, and apathetic.  Basically they are acting like 13 year olds except they are grown men and women.  Anyone with a 13 year old will recognize this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

when we go shopping and bring in our groceries and have to wipe everything down 

Damn, you do way more than me. Then again I will eat stuff I drop on the floor(even in restaurants) and pull food out of the trash to eat when my wife throws it away because it's a week past expiration. I tell her those dates are just guidelines and she tells me I'm disgusting when I eat it anyway. But she's the one that always gets sick, not me! Must have been all that dirt and rolly pollies I ate as a kid that gave me a strong immune system. 🙂

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

I was trying to NOT get angry at HEB today at Slaughter and Escarpment. 92% of the people had masks on. The non-mask wearers just don't understand that they are putting ME at risk. They should not have the right to put others at risk. Mandating masks is not an affront to my freedoms. And I am very much a personal freedom/rights kind of guy.

They already tell us to wear seat belts under penalty of law. And that's to protect the individuals, not others. Maybe a better example would be they make us get our car inspected to make us safer, but also to make it safe for other drivers. Nobody protests those mandates.

But, we can't do this shut down forever. Business has to open. The purpose of the shut down, as stated numerous times by numerous officials, was to "flatten the curve" not wait for a cure. People are still going to get sick. Now hopefully they (me too!) can be adequately cared for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Short of a full respirator to go shopping (I have seen people walking the street with a dual cartridge gas mask) you can’t protect yourself with 100% or even 99% effectiveness. 

Did the full N95 dual respirator at the home despot today. Usually hit curbside at the one on slaughter/35 but had to go south to kyle today to get what i needed. The difference between austin and kyle was staggering. NONE of the employees working the garden center and curbside had masks. About 50% of the customers had some sort of half assed mask. In austin it was at least 90% of customers and 100% of staff. 

whut a mess

Edited by ATXZJ

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

Damn, you do way more than me. Then again I will eat stuff I drop on the floor(even in restaurants) and pull food out of the trash to eat when my wife throws it away because it's a week past expiration. I tell her those dates are just guidelines and she tells me I'm disgusting when I eat it anyway. But she's the one that always gets sick, not me! Must have been all that dirt and rolly pollies I ate as a kid that gave me a strong immune system. 🙂

Yeah I've eaten leftover chilli that was way past its prime and paid the price for it.  I'll do 5 second rule for some stuff...but like if I drop a slice of ham on the floor, I'll rinse it out.  I was never the kid that ate flies, or dirt, or dirt, watermelon seed, and dirt (to see if he could grow a plant).  There was always the bugger eater too.  I'm the oldest of my siblings, I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.  I would theorize that there is something to do with it.

Expiration dates are for the sellers/makers not necessarily for the customers.  I have a really good sense of smell so I can tell when stuff turns (apparently except chilli) so I'm comfortable going past the expiration date.  OTOH I've had cans of evaporated milk that get plump close to the expiration date (like months, not days).

This reminds me, in Sienna I went into a restaurant that cooked medieval/renaissance period dishes.  I had some of the meat, it was so overwhelmingly strong with spices.  I remember learning that's one reason for the spice trade back in the day...so you could eat spoiled meat.

But for me, it's apples and oranges.  2 days with the runs or maybe a night of vomiting if it's a bad case is not like 1-2 weeks bed-ridden (if lucky) or worse having to go to the hospital.  We all pick and chose what jumps or drops we are comfortable with.  This is no different to me.

I'll admit though, there is more evidence that transmission by packages or on groceries has not been confirmed.  A recent article I read talked about ingesting is different than breathing it in which makes sense.   My wipedowns are a bit more quick than they used to.  Some stuff we just let sit 2-3 days if we don't need it for a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

We can basically thank the tobacco industry and the petroleum industry for this mess. They have been spending billions to convince us that scientists are dumb and we should “trust our gut” instead of facts. 

Speaking of the gut, you forgot sugar, sweet sugar.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

• Like 3

• Albert locked this topic