IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

14 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Hold the phone! Beans or no beans? Be careful with your choice because this will determine if we will be best friends or mortal enemies.

I'm insulted by the question.  Does that answer it clearly enough?

• Like 1

I find it interesting that so many people think they can hide from the virus. It's here to stay. It's also nowhere near as bad as the fear mongers want you to believe. Let's look at the *official* numbers for Texas. This is for over 29,000,000 people that are out in public with no masks and certainly very little social distancing. This is as of right now.

austinmtb.png.6c7b3985c87136c9deecaf600438b137.png

Hardly the *oh my god, millions are dying* that the MSM wants us to believe. When do you decide it's OK to unmask? 3 months, 6 months, a year? 

The virus will be waiting for you. Wear your mask, stay home. Most of us are back living life, and not dying. The hospitals are empty. My wife's doctors and nurses say they have nothing to do, so they are out as well. You can live in fear, but let the rest of us get back to work.

• Like 1

I wear a mask in public just as much to protect other people as I do to protect myself.  I also don't rip giant farts in crowded elevators.  Not because it feels good to hold it in but because it's called being aware that I'm not the only person in the damn elevator and those other people don't have the ability to just 'not breath'.  Sure, they could take the stairs but so could I.

My brother told me about his mask-wearing sister-in-law getting yelled at by some dude in a parking lot.  He shouted "...why are you wearing that mask?  You think that is going to protect you?"  She said "It helps me mind my own business.  Maybe you should try one?"  

I think wearing a mask sucks.  I hate it but I do it because it's a very small price to pay to provide my fellow citizens some peace of mind that I'm not going to sneeze on them if they walk past me.  I know I appreciate it when they do the same.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

My brother told me about his mask-wearing sister-in-law getting yelled at by some dude in a parking lot.  He shouted "...why are you wearing that mask?  You think that is going to protect you?" 

I totally don't get this. Why in the world would you resent someone for wearing a mask? It has zero impact on you. This represents the depths of stupidity to me.

Is it a political thing? That is the only explanation I can think of.

What makes way more sense is for her to yell at him for NOT wearing a mask. "You are trying to kill me" is something people could get very upset about.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheX said:

The hospitals are empty. My wife's doctors and nurses say they have nothing to do, so they are out as well. 

I'm sure that none of the distancing, shelter at home, and those of us who wear masks have nothing to do with the hospitals not being full.  It's not like there were actual places where the hospitals were beyond full and people died because not everyone could get treated.  smh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

My brother told me about his mask-wearing sister-in-law getting yelled at by some dude in a parking lot.  He shouted "...why are you wearing that mask?  You think that is going to protect you?"  She said "It helps me mind my own business.  Maybe you should try one?"  

The opposite is also true. I've been yelled at while riding at Brushy Creek for not wearing one. Sorry, I'm not going to wear one outside while riding in 95 degree heat and humidity when I don't get closer than 30 feet to anyone.

Some people are just jerks and feel the need to call out anyone that might disagree with them.

Edited by quixoft

2 hours ago, TheX said:

You can live in fear, but let the rest of us get back to work.

I don't live in fear, but I also REALLY don't want to catch this thing. It's still out there, and if wearing a mask in a grocery store and steering clear of pubs and restaurants means I won't catch it, then that's exactly what I'll do. We're fortunate, we have a decent size house and back yard, and everything we need, so life is not hard -- just different.

Now, I'm off to clean my guns in case the anti-maskers attack ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

I totally don't get this. Why in the world would you resent someone for wearing a mask? It has zero impact on you. This represents the depths of stupidity to me.

I think that there is some political aspect to it but there is also some psychology going on here.  When you see someone taking a different course of action than what you're choosing, internally you are telling yourself that you're right and they're wrong.  However, there is a tiny bit of you that might say "...what if she's right?" and that's scary.  So, you try and get them to follow your choice because then you're all in it together even if it is the wrong course of action.  I'm not a psychologist but I did take a class in college because I thought it would have hot girls.  It did but they were all nuts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TAF said:

We're fortunate, we have a decent size house and back yard, and everything we need, so life is not hard -- just different.

How is the MTB track coming along?  I've got to post a video of what I've done.  I still have some more changes since I've turned the pumptrack (dirt pumptrack on sloping terrain = too much maintenance) into a badminton court.

4 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

How is the MTB track coming along?  I've got to post a video of what I've done.  I still have some more changes since I've turned the pumptrack (dirt pumptrack on sloping terrain = too much maintenance) into a badminton court.

Kinda slowly, mainly due to the heat. I do have everything I need to build several ramps and skinnies, just need to get my shit together and do it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Let's just say that we don't talk about freshman year for a reason.  Some lessons are best learned when there is runway to recover.

That reminds me of Lesson #1 of flying RC airplanes:  Fly 3 mistakes high. LOL!

20 hours ago, TheX said:

Hardly the *oh my god, millions are dying* that the MSM wants us to believe. When do you decide it's OK to unmask? 3 months, 6 months, a year? 

The virus will be waiting for you. Wear your mask, stay home. Most of us are back living life, and not dying. The hospitals are empty. My wife's doctors and nurses say they have nothing to do, so they are out as well. You can live in fear, but let the rest of us get back to work.

Based on the current trend I think it is safe to say that COVID-19 will end the year as the third biggest killer in the U.S. behind Heart Disease and Cancer. For something to come out of nowhere and catapult itself up the death chart like that is newsworthy for sure. I haven't ruled out this thing taking a turn for the worse, but like you I am anxious for things to get back to normal. My wife and I have been going out to eat 2-3 times per week at our 2 local spots in support of the owners we want to see stay in business - and no we don't wear masks while eating. We've resumed going to doctor / dental appointments as well. Took advantage of the crisis deals and bought a new car, whilst wearing our masks. Continue to wear masks at stores and likely will until there is some evidence of widespread immunity. Absolutely don't wear a mask riding my bike though, and don't plan to.    

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, throet said:

My wife and I have been going out to eat 2-3 times per week at our 2 local spots in support of the owners we want to see stay in business - and no we don't wear masks while eating. We've resumed going to doctor / dental appointments as well. Took advantage of the crisis deals and bought a new car, whilst wearing our masks. Continue to wear masks at stores and likely will until there is some evidence of widespread immunity. Absolutely don't wear a mask riding my bike though, and don't plan to.    

Sounds to me like you and your wife are doing what most are doing voluntarily, and that’s great to hear. 

IMO the majority of the divide on this particular topic isn’t about mask wearing at all, it’s about ones right to do what they think is right for them and the precedent the government can set with a bit of overreach. 

I personally support anyone’s right to wear or not to wear a mask. I also support businesses working if they feel they can, and I support small government making their own decisions, as what is right for Glasscock county may not be the same for Travis county. 

That’s what this divide is about. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

IMO the majority of the divide on this particular topic isn’t about mask wearing at all, it’s about ones right to do what they think is right for them and the precedent the government can set with a bit of overreach. 

I personally support anyone’s right to wear or not to wear a mask. I also support businesses working if they feel they can, and I support small government making their own decisions, as what is right for Glasscock county may not be the same for Travis county. 

That’s what this divide is about. 

Pretty much what I'm hearing as well. Most Americans(at least the people in my circle) don't like government telling us what we can and can't do. It might look like the most common sense law to pass to require masks but many people are of the belief that "if you give them an inch, they take a mile" when it comes to the government trying to "protect" us. They'd rather risk a disease than even the slightest possibility of government overreach. Many people are talking about how well China has done controlling the spread. Well yeah, it's easy when your government doesn't care about human rights, suppresses anyone that doesn't toe the line, and keeps the population living in fear with big brother constantly watching. CCP does all of that in name of "protecting" their populace. Not that I think America is anywhere near that but over the course of history, people in power generally haven't done a very good job of limiting power of governments.

I have friends at both extremes and everything in between. Democrats, Republicans, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, mask wearers, non mask wearers, gun lovers, gun haters, rich friends, poor friends, you name it. Somehow we're all still great friends though despite our differences. There's nothing better than arguing and fighting with friends over shit like this and knowing the next day we'll still end up having beers together and be just fine.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

I don't get why this is so hard to understand for thick-skulled morons in this country: wearing a mask is not to protect YOU. it's to protect OTHERS from the germs you might already have. it's so you can keep your germs to yourself. it's not that hard.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't get why this is so hard to understand for thick-skulled morons in this country: wearing a mask is not to protect YOU. it's to protect OTHERS from the germs you might already have. it's so you can keep your germs to yourself. it's not that hard.

Yeah, I will never get the anti-mask argument. They scream about their "rights" to choose to not wear a mask, but they are really depriving others of their rights to feel safe. No one has "the right" to deliberately harm others, and that's exactly what you are doing if you choose not to follow basic health safety precautions. If you choose not to wear a mask, you are deliberately increasing the risk to others around you.

It's not politics. It's basic science and common sense. A major way the virus spreads is through particulate in the air from coughing, sneezing, or just breathing. Masks reduce the amount of particulate in the air. They aren't perfect, but they help. 

If you could potentially save 1 single life by wearing a mask in public, why wouldn't you? The only answer I can think of is that you are a selfish asshole. 

• Like 3

• Albert locked this topic