IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

Surgery scheduled for 6/30. Watching the numbers go up. Abbott says if the numbers keep going up the first thing he’s gonna curb is elective surgeries. 

so I have to wait again because some of you fuckers had to go to Chuck E Cheese?

what the actual F.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Surgery scheduled for 6/30. Watching the numbers go up. Abbott says if the numbers keep going up the first thing he’s gonna curb is elective surgeries. 

so I have to wait again because some of you fuckers had to go to Chuck E Cheese?

what the actual F.....

That sucks. I hope you can get your surgery. 

• Like 1

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Study-100-face-mask-use-could-crush-second-15333170.php

“We show that, when face masks are used by the public all the time (not just from when symptoms first appear), the effective reproduction number, Re, can be decreased below 1, leading to the mitigation of epidemic spread,” the scientists wrote in the paper published Wednesday by the Proceedings of the Royal Society A.

The modeling indicated that when lockdown periods are combined with 100% face mask use, disease spread is vastly diminished, preventing resurgence for 18 months, the time frame that has frequently been cited for developing a vaccine. It also demonstrated that if people wear masks in public, it is twice as effective at reducing the R number than if face coverings are only worn after symptoms appear.

The masks don’t have to be top-of-the-line surgical or respirator masks. Homemade coverings that catch only 50 percent of exhaled droplets would provide a “population-level benefit,” they concluded.

As has been well-publicized, wearing a mask primarily protects others from yourself, rather than the other way around. It is not a sign that you consider others a danger.

I'm sorry for calling people names. that's not helpful and it was rude of me, especially to JMR. I appreciate your independent spirit and your skepticism. However, I am just at my wit's end with people who accept the obvious at this point. if people were questioning how useful all the masks, stay-at-home, social distancing, etc three months ago, I'd agree that there is good reason to be skeptical. at this point, however, the science is clear. it's not up for debate anymore. if you refuse to take simple measures to help slow the spread, you are part of the problem now. think of people like my friend's grandfather in NYC, who marched with Reverend King in the 1960s. He died last month from COVID-19. or people on this forum whose family members have compromised immune systems. every risk you take is a risk for them more than it is for you.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, notyal said:

If you really want a solution and not a political platform, the answer is to keep living your life as you feel appropriate, BUT with some concern as to what others feel is appropriate. It's called compromise and compassion. Realize that small businesses and the economy as a whole needs everybody to participate. As a small business owner in an industry that has been hit very hard by this, I know I'm going to do everything possible to make my customers feel safe. It's really a shame that everyone who wants the economy to get back on track does not share the same outlook and are unwilling to at least do the minimum. 

Only a selfish jackass of a human being would reject the above simply way of thinking/conduct.

This week I had to spend some time up in north Austin, in the Cedar Park area. I had to go into a couple stores and was amazed at how man people were not wearing masks... Even in stores that had signs up on their front door asking customers to wear masks. It was kind of revealing to me regarding how different elements of society think... I can honestly say that non-mask wearing seemed more prevalent there than in the SW where I live.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JMR said:

If I came to your place of business, and you required a mask while I was there, I'd wear one. If you came to my place, I wouldn't. This kind of compromise I understand.

Which would only expose your uncaring attitude towards customers... Who should simply turn around and walk out. How quickly your attitude would change.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JMR said:

If I came to your place of business, and you required a mask while I was there, I'd wear one. If you came to my place, I wouldn't. This kind of compromise I understand.

It's a "weakest link" problem. Not a "when in Rome" kinda thing. 

I'm usually pretty good about seeing both sides of an argument. Here's where I'm stuck on the non-mask wearing side. When I decide to put on a mask before entering a public place like a grocery store, I'm saying "I care more about the health and safety of my friends, neighbors, and family more than the slight inconvenience, discomfort, or silly appearance of a mask"

When someone decides not to wear a mask, what does that statement look like? Fill in the blank. "I care more about __________________ than the health and safety of my friends, neighbors, and family."

• Like 6

masks don't look silly. I already post a photo of Wesley from The Princess Bride. that mask makes women swoon decades later, but he was doing it wrong for this era. likewise, Batman is wrong.

Shredder_(James_Saito).jpg

mortal-kombat-legends-scorpions-revenge2

900?cb=20120511112335

023a0ed8567841bc487a116492f72efb.jpg

given the choice, I'd love to freak people out, swaggering around HEB dressed up as Immortan Joe.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Y'all, I've never wanted to be more wrong than now about all this, and for the doubters to be right.  

But it's not looking like that.  It looks like Houston is headed for major trouble, with the counties that make up the greater Houston area having hospitals getting toward max capacity, and they're looking to re-activate the stadium emergency hospital once again.

I asked before but I ether missed a reply  or nobody replied about this.  Read up on Pascal's wager:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager

If you are a skeptic and don't recognize all authority, you can classify the things you are skeptical in the same manner:  the premise is wrong, the premise is right, what happens if the premise is wrong but I act on it like the premise is right, what happens if the premise is right but I act on it like the premise is wrong.

• Like 2

To get this thread back on topic...  This morning while riding Brushy Creek Trail, I was heading back to the car on the concrete pathway.  A lady came towards me riding a basic lower-cost e-bike...no bike deal.  But as I glanced upwards to see her face, she was wearing a full face road bike motorcycle helmet!  Honestly, it wasn't THAT odd, just seemed a bit overkill for me.  But maybe she was using it as a form of a 'mask' as well as FULL ON helmet dome protection.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

My friend, a life long motorcycle rider that sold his last one a couple of years ago, said he was going to get an ebike. I said be sure and get a helmet. He said he would just wear one of his motorcycle helmets. I laughed out loud at the imagery and told him to spend an extra eighty bucks at the bike store for a bicycle style helmet. I convinced him thank heavens.

• Like 1

On the gravel section by Peddler's I saw a boy about 6-7 shredding along with the fork on backwards. I asked the man walking along behind if it was his son, he said yes but his English was not good enough to understand what I was trying to explain. I tried to use gestures but I'm not sure he got it. I'm sure that kid will think his bike handles a lot better if pops figures it out.

4 hours ago, GFisher said:

I have been tempted to stop by a head shop and look for one of those gas mask bong setups. 😎

mas-mask-bong02.jpg

And then you go to reach for something on the top shelf and suddenly...

Yeah, was just laughing with friends the other day about the time one of them used a public bong in Amsterdam. Can’t even fathom that now...

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Y'all, I've never wanted to be more wrong than now about all this, and for the doubters to be right.  

But it's not looking like that.  It looks like Houston is headed for major trouble, with the counties that make up the greater Houston area having hospitals getting toward max capacity, and they're looking to re-activate the stadium emergency hospital once again.

I asked before but I ether missed a reply  or nobody replied about this.  Read up on Pascal's wager:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager

If you are a skeptic and don't recognize all authority, you can classify the things you are skeptical in the same manner:  the premise is wrong, the premise is right, what happens if the premise is wrong but I act on it like the premise is right, what happens if the premise is right but I act on it like the premise is wrong.

It’s like what if global warming is a hoax and all we end up with is clean air?

• Like 3

Drove by St Elmo brewing and Still on the way home today and the parking lot was PACKED.  Probably half the people going in and out had masks on. The odd thing was all the cars with MTBs on the roofs and racks. Must've been a post-ride pitstop for a large group looking to spitswap. Meanwhile at Skull Mechanics Brewing, there were signs everywhere saying do not enter without a mask. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

Went to Spec's in RR yesterday 95% of people had masks, but I did see one guy that had his mask pulled down under his chin. Thought to myself why bother? On the other hand we've all seen the "No shirt, No shoes, No service signs" at restaurants particularly ones near beaches. Now are those signs a violation of our rights? We typically obey those. There are so many common rules that almost all of us adhere to that are not regulations or laws I don't understand the thinking behind this anti mask agenda. Most of us wouldn't walk around in public with our dicks hanging out, so what's the big deal with a silly paper mask? 

Then there's stupid propaganda like this with its click bait title "THEY WILL BAN THIS IMMEDIATELY!". Really? Some women was killed in a car accident because the mask she was wearing caused her to pass out (4:00 into video)? Calling BS on this. I wear a twin cartridge respirator for a great portion of the day due to work and have done so for over 25 years not once did I pass out. Just crazy. This is just another part of the problem with society.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, GFisher said:

On the gravel section by Peddler's I saw a boy about 6-7 shredding along with the fork on backwards. I asked the man walking along behind if it was his son, he said yes but his English was not good enough to understand what I was trying to explain. I tried to use gestures but I'm not sure he got it. I'm sure that kid will think his bike handles a lot better if pops figures it out.

Or maybe he'll end up famous for his own distinct riding style, like Albert King flipping a right-handed guitar upside down to play it left handed.  

Edited by throet

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Went to Spec's in RR yesterday 95% of people had masks, but I did see one guy that had his mask pulled down under his chin. Thought to myself why bother? On the other hand we've all seen the "No shirt, No shoes, No service signs" at restaurants particularly ones near beaches. Now are those signs a violation of our rights? We typically obey those. There are so many common rules that almost all of us adhere to that are not regulations or laws I don't understand the thinking behind this anti mask agenda. Most of us wouldn't walk around in public with our dicks hanging out, so what's the big deal with a silly paper mask? 

Then there's stupid propaganda like this with its click bait title "THEY WILL BAN THIS IMMEDIATELY!". Really? Some women was killed in a car accident because the mask she was wearing caused her to pass out (4:00 into video)? Calling BS on this. I wear a twin cartridge respirator for a great portion of the day due to work and have done so for over 25 years not once did I pass out. Just crazy. This is just another part of the problem with society.

His meatsword is swift and accurate.

Yes on a temp ordinance that states no mask no service. I cant roll in with my d*ck in my hand, which is arguably less offense than a maskless mouth breather doing the covid macarena behind me in line. 

"but it's too hot to wear a mask" 

How warm are those paint booths you're working in again?

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, Chief said:

At about 3:00, he actually makes a good scientific argument for wearing masks. It's such common sense, you can't even make a BS anti-mask propaganda video without making a good case for wearing a mask. 

20 minutes ago, TheX said:

I wear a mask if the store requires it, but no other time. I won't tell other people they shouldn't, it's a choice. 

Duck. You're about to get murdered for that thought process. 

Edited by quixoft

• Albert locked this topic