IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

14 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Wait until the economic crisis starts to roll... Strange will take on a whole new look.

This∆

People aren't in the streets because life is good in the usa. Quite the opposite.

The rent/mortgage deferments end this month,  and from what I understand so does the disaster relief funding. Oh and there's the people & businesses like me who have to pay every tax year and that's comng up too.

And there's a pandemic burning out of control in my state. #winning

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

This∆

People aren't in the streets because life is good in the usa. Quite the opposite.

The rent/mortgage deferments end this month,  and from what I understand so does the disaster relief funding. Oh and there's the people & businesses like me who have to pay every tax year and that's comng up too.

And there's a pandemic burning out of control in my state. #winning

Sounds to me like the fits gonna hit the shan whether we have a virus or not. But keep your mask on. That'll help people feed their kids.

Edited by JMR
Just because

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

I think that we’re arguing precisely because the survival rate is ALMOST 100%. It’s that few percent that represent people that one side cares deeply enough about that they will sacrifice comfort and their good looks to protect. 

I agree with this but why do we all of sudden care just now? The flu survival rate is ALMOST 100% and tens of thousands die every year in the US from the flu but we've never taken these actions during flu seasons. Why didn't we shut down the economy or force masks when flu deaths hit 60,000 in a bad year like 2017-18? Surely we could have saved many of those loved ones if we forced stay at home orders and masks, right? All we had to do is sacrifice some comfort, good looks, and jobs. Why didn't we do it?

I've looked back through the threads and I've never seen any of you arguing for masks, distancing or saving others back in the 2017-18 flu where the CDC estimates 61,000 deaths. Was 60,000 deaths just not enough for y'all to care about or change your habits? Do we only care when deaths pass 100K?  

/sarcasm Personally, I'm fine with 37,873 deaths. But once we hit 37,874, I demand shut downs and masks. What are y'alls numbers? /sarcasm

Edited by quixoft

15 minutes ago, quixoft said:

I agree with this but why do we all of sudden care just now? The flu survival rate is ALMOST 100% and tens of thousands die every year in the US from the flu but we've never taken these actions during flu seasons. Why didn't we shut down the economy or force masks when flu deaths hit 60,000 in a bad year like 2017-18? Surely we could have saved many of those loved ones if we forced stay at home orders and masks, right? All we had to do is sacrifice some comfort, good looks, and jobs. Why didn't we do it?

I've looked back through the threads and I've never seen any of you arguing for masks, distancing or saving others back in the 2017-18 flu where the CDC estimates 61,000 deaths. Was 60,000 deaths just not enough for y'all to care about or change your habits? Do we only care when deaths pass 100K?  

/sarcasm Personally, I'm fine with 37,873 deaths. But once we hit 37,874, I demand shut downs and masks. What are y'alls numbers? /sarcasm

2017-18 are not election years. Well, 2018 was. But, not for President

Edited by JMR
Clarification
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JMR said:

To prevent a disease with an almost 100% survival rate.

Survive, sure, but with what long term effects? This seems to be different from other flues.

I was semi-okay with getting it because I was pretty sure I wouldn't die. But now I'm scared of getting it and never fully recovering to my previous health levels. 

• Like 1

Same tired arguments from the anti-makers. 

"Other things kill people, too"

"Other issues completely unrelated to Covid are happening, but mask don't help that"

Who gives a shit? That is complete smoke and mirror distraction bullshit you are falling for. 

The issue at hand: A thin piece of fabric worn in front of your mouth and nose can help reduce the spread of a very infectious disease that is affecting the entire world. It's just like washing your hands, coughing/sneezing into your sleeve, or not licking all the apples at HEB. Doing small things for the health of the entire community.

Edited by notyal
spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, notyal said:

The issue at hand: A thin piece of fabric worn in front of your mouth and nose can help reduce the spread of a very infectious disease that is affecting the entire world. It's just like washing your hands, coughing/sneezing into your sleeve, or not licking all the apples at HEB. Doing small things for the health of the entire community.

Completely agree with you and I wear my mask everywhere. I question why people are so up in arms about it now when it clearly works and could have saved many lives during regular flu seasons. My guess is that since a bad flu year ONLY kills 60,000, we didn't care because that's just not enough people dying to inconvenience us.

Edited by quixoft

Thought of an argument for the "liberty" anti-mask people. Even if they don't work, they create the illusion of working, which is important to the government decision makers.

"Looks like people are complying with the wear a mask edict.  Let's open more things and get the economy back to normal." 

Edited by The Tip
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, notyal said:

Same tired arguments from the anti-makers. 

"Other things kill people, too"

"Other issues completely unrelated to Covid are happening, but mask don't help that"

Who gives a shit? That is complete smoke and mirror distraction bullshit you are falling for. 

That's right. Stay in line. Focus on what's directly in front of you. Don't ask questions.

1 minute ago, quixoft said:

Completely agree with you and I wear my mask everywhere. I question why people are so up in arms about it now when it clearly works and could have saved many lives during regular flu seasons. My guess is that since a bad flu year ONLY kills 60,000, we didn't care because that's just not enough people dying to inconvenience us.

Probably because we are way more comfortable with the flu. We have treatments that are effective at shortening it. We have effective vaccines. We understand it.

Covid is much more of an unknown, and that's scary. We don't know the lasting effects. We don't understand why some people are asymptomatic and even whether or not those people can spread it without even knowing they have it. Other people spend months in the hospital. At this point, prevention is the most effective tool we've got. 

That's where (IMO) the push for masks is coming from. There are so many unknowns. It's like gambling with the health, not only of yourself but also your loved ones. We should be doing everything we can reasonably do to stack the odds in our favor. 

2 minutes ago, JMR said:

That's right. Stay in line. Focus on what's directly in front of you. Don't ask questions.

You're right. I've been concerned with personal hygiene my whole life like a fucking sheep. What a dumbass I've been. While I was washing my hands in public restrooms, I bet the man was plotting against me the whole time.

1 minute ago, The Tip said:

"Looks like people are complying with the wear a mask edict.  Let's open more things and get the economy back to normal." 

Or, it could be, "Looks like people are complying with the wear a mask edict. Let's make a COVID FREE CAMP."

A little extreme, I know. But, as long as you're focused on the magician's right hand, you won't notice him stealing your wallet with his left.

8 minutes ago, notyal said:

Probably because we are way more comfortable with the flu. We have treatments that are effective at shortening it. We have effective vaccines. We understand it.

Covid is much more of an unknown, and that's scary. We don't know the lasting effects. We don't understand why some people are asymptomatic and even whether or not those people can spread it without even knowing they have it. Other people spend months in the hospital. At this point, prevention is the most effective tool we've got. 

That's where (IMO) the push for masks is coming from. There are so many unknowns. It's like gambling with the health, not only of yourself but also your loved ones. We should be doing everything we can reasonably do to stack the odds in our favor. 

Oh I totally get it. I just find it sad we only tend to care about others when we ourselves are scared. No one is really scared of the flu so we don't even think twice about tens of thousands of people dying from it every year or what small steps we could easily take(masks) to possibly help those folks. It's only when an unknown could possibly adversely affect us or our loved ones that we suddenly "care" about others when in reality it's our own selfishness in trying to save ourselves and our loved oned by forcing others to comply.

When we get used to COVID it will go back to the same.

Edited by quixoft

2 minutes ago, notyal said:

You're right. I've been concerned with personal hygiene my whole life like a fucking sheep. What a dumbass I've been. While I was washing my hands in public restrooms, I bet the man was plotting against me the whole time.

My bad. The man is trustworthy. I'm sure he has your best interests in mind.

4 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Oh I totally get it. I just find it sad we only tend to care about others when we ourselves are scared. No one is really scared of the flu so we don't even think twice about tens of thousands of people dying from it every year. It's only when an unknown could possibly adversely affect us or our loved ones that we suddenly "care" about others.

I don't think it's that. I don't think twice about all the yearly traffic fatalities. I DO buckle my seat belt and don't drive the wrong way on one way streets though.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, notyal said:

While I was washing my hands in public restrooms, I bet the man was plotting against me the whole time.

I actually wash my hands BEFORE I use the restroom. I know where my pecker has been but my hands have touched all kinds of crap throughout the day and I ain't getting the clap because I shook hands with a meth head earlier and then touched my wang while peeing. 

Then I wash them again after even though the only thing I touched was my wang which is still clean because it's been my clean underwear since I showered in the morning.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I don't think it's that. I don't think twice about all the yearly traffic fatalities. I DO buckle my seat belt and don't drive the wrong way on one way streets though.

Would you be opposed to cutting all speed limits in half in order to reduce traffic deaths? Or do the advantages of high speed transport outweigh the cost of traffic deaths?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JMR said:

My bad. The man is trustworthy. I'm sure he has your best interests in mind.

The current "man" certainly does not. And coincidently (or not so much), he is the leader of the anti-masker movement. 

There are people on both sides that will be happy to take advantage of you or profit from a tragic event. So, weighing the BS handed to us from both sides, I think it's far more likely that someone not wearing a mask could spread Covid to me or someone I love vs. somehow by wearing a mask you are succumbing to some sort of government control. 

It reminds me of the underpants gnomes from Southpark. Step 1: make everyone wear a mask. Step 2: _____________ Step 3: Government control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

These are good points and it got me thinking.  Should we mask up when the flu is raging and people are getting sick?  Yes.  We probably should.   Is it okay to sneeze on someone if you think  you have a common cold that really isn't that big of a killer?  No, it's not.  For me, it's an obvious fact now that the flu or possible even the cold is not as prolific at spreading or as mysterious as to what it actually does to people.  I've had the flu a couple of times and it sucked but it was a known quantity.  I didn't get my kids or family sick when I had it and after a couple of miserable days, I was on the mend.  I also never worried that I was going to die or get someone else sick and they would die.  Should I have worried?  Maybe so but the medical community, my doctor, and my research told me that I just needed to use common sense and I wouldn't be a threat to society.

What's different now?  This is a global pandemic that is impacting everyone on this planet.  I don't know what this virus would do to my body and unless you've had it, you don't know what it would do to yours.  Odds are decent that we'd recover but odds are also good that we would spread it to at least one person.  They would then spread it and the cycle would continue.  We will eventually learn more about this virus and perhaps it will become synonymous with the flu or a cold.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, notyal said:

The current "man" certainly does not. And coincidently (or not so much), he is the leader of the anti-masker movement. 

There are people on both sides that will be happy to take advantage of you or profit from a tragic event. So, weighing the BS handed to us from both sides, I think it's far more likely that someone not wearing a mask could spread Covid to me or someone I love vs. somehow by wearing a mask you are succumbing to some sort of government control. 

It reminds me of the underpants gnomes from Southpark. Step 1: make everyone wear a mask. Step 2: _____________ Step 3: Government control.

Now we're getting somewhere. (I didn't watch your video BTW) Why doesn't he wear a mask? Is he trying to kill us all? Maybe he knows something we don't know? And, I've never shamed anyone for wearing a mask. Succumbing to gov't control? Well, yes. But I'm simply curious as to what's really going on. I'd like for everyone to be curious as well.

32 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Would you be opposed to cutting all speed limits in half in order to reduce traffic deaths? Or do the advantages of high speed transport outweigh the cost of traffic deaths?

Not a bad comeback. But I don't think halving the speed limit equates to wearing masks. Wearing masks=Wearing seat belts. Wearing a seat belt is no guaranty of saving your life but it definitely is going to help. Both things are a small price to pay.

But I think the more pertinent analogy is, cutting speed limits = closing the economy.  I'm against both and I'm okay with the cost of not doing either. So wear a seat belt at current speeds, and wear a mask and be smart about distancing in places it matters. 

It doesn't matter at the beach or on a tennis court. Dumb. This is what makes people resent the closures. Closing a tennis court, beach, or bike trail is not required. 

Is it the reopening of things that is causing the resurgence or is it the no mask wearing? For the sake of ALL the harm the closings have done I'm going with the no mask wearing in the reopened places.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Not a bad comeback. But I don't think halving the speed limit equates to wearing masks. Wearing masks=Wearing seat belts. Wearing a seat belt is no guaranty of saving your life but it definitely is going to help. Both things are a small price to pay.

I don't think that analogy works. wearing a mask and limiting time among crowds is about me not spreading the disease to others, not about me staying un-sick. the difference is subtle but it's a matter of perspective. wearing a seatbelt is about keeping oneself safe. by wearing a seatbelt, I am making zero contribution to the safety of others on the road, just keeping myself safe. wearing a mask does little to keep the wearer safe, but does quite a bit to keep other safe.

a better analogy would safe driving habits, especially around cyclists. I do these things because it's safer for me, but more so because it's safer for other road users. if I hit a cyclist with my car because I am driving on the wrong side of the road, going 60 mph though a neighborhood while drinking a growler of Thirsty Goat, LOLing something on Facebook with my headlights off in the middle of a Sharan dust cloud incident, I'll end up with a dent on my car. the cyclist will likely be dead. I am staying home as much as possible and wearing a mask in public when I go out for the same reasons I don't drive like a jerk: I care about the safety of others at least as much as I care about my own.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JMR said:

Now we're getting somewhere. (I didn't watch your video BTW) Why doesn't he wear a mask? Is he trying to kill us all? Maybe he knows something we don't know? And, I've never shamed anyone for wearing a mask. Succumbing to gov't control? Well, yes. But I'm simply curious as to what's really going on. I'd like for everyone to be curious as well.

You really should watch it. It's only 0:30. It's not about masks. (Although if the gnomes had been collecting underpants to make masks and sell them for profit, it all makes sense now.) Just reminded me of the "plan" to control people by asking them to wear mask.  Here's a 10s clip of just the "plan". 

It's good to ask questions. I'm asking all the fear monger YouTubers to explain Step 2 of the government mask control plot. 

On the other hand, I completely understand the mask wearing plan. Step 1: people wear masks in public places. Step 2: less of their spit and snot gets in the air and on surfaces in public places. Step 3: less people get sick and die.

• Albert locked this topic