IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

I agree with this but why do we all of sudden care just now? The flu survival rate is ALMOST 100% and tens of thousands die every year in the US from the flu but we've never taken these actions during flu seasons. Why didn't we shut down the economy or force masks when flu deaths hit 60,000 in a bad year like 2017-18? Surely we could have saved many of those loved ones if we forced stay at home orders and masks, right? All we had to do is sacrifice some comfort, good looks, and jobs. Why didn't we do it?

If in any given year the Flu was projected to hospitalize 3 to 4 times what it normally does, then I suspect the reaction would be the same as it is now for COVID-19, including recommendations to wear masks. Flu illness and flu deaths are a constant that our health system is built to handle and even profit from, but when that model gets disrupted, all bets are off. If hospital beds fill up and folks are left untreated with either serious COVID-19 or Flu symptoms, then the death rates for both will go up. This has always been about flattening the curve to keep from overwhelming our health system, and masks are an important part of that now, like it or not.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, notyal said:

You really should watch it. It's only 0:30. It's not about masks. (Although if the gnomes had been collecting underpants to make masks and sell them for profit, it all makes sense now.) Just reminded me of the "plan" to control people by asking them to wear mask.  Here's a 10s clip of just the "plan". 

It's good to ask questions. I'm asking all the fear monger YouTubers to explain Step 2 of the government mask control plot. 

On the other hand, I completely understand the mask wearing plan. Step 1: people wear masks in public places. Step 2: less of their spit and snot gets in the air and on surfaces in public places. Step 3: less people get sick and die.

Fair enough. You are correct that there seems to be no solid Step 2. I'm just curious if the plan is Step 1: people wear masks in public places because of corona. Step 2: people focus and argue about Step 1 so they don't see what's going on behind the curtain. Step 3: ???

I know that 5 years ago, everyone would agree that the gov't isn't what they appear to be, and they shouldn't be trusted. These days, seems like the gov't from 5 years ago is Hellbent on getting rid of Trump. Like him or not, it seems odd. I'm asking why. Really has nothing to do with masks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quixoft said:

I agree with this but why do we all of sudden care just now? The flu survival rate is ALMOST 100% and tens of thousands die every year in the US from the flu but we've never taken these actions during flu seasons. Why didn't we shut down the economy or force masks when flu deaths hit 60,000 in a bad year like 2017-18? Surely we could have saved many of those loved ones if we forced stay at home orders and masks, right? All we had to do is sacrifice some comfort, good looks, and jobs. Why didn't we do it?

I've looked back through the threads and I've never seen any of you arguing for masks, distancing or saving others back in the 2017-18 flu where the CDC estimates 61,000 deaths. Was 60,000 deaths just not enough for y'all to care about or change your habits? Do we only care when deaths pass 100K?  

/sarcasm Personally, I'm fine with 37,873 deaths. But once we hit 37,874, I demand shut downs and masks. What are y'alls numbers? /sarcasm

This is completely worthless argument. Humans have been living with the the flu for a LONG TIME...we've built up immunities, our bodies know how to fight it, we have fucking vaccines for it. There is a reason it's called NOVEL coronavirus...because it's fucking NEW. Our bodies have no defense against it, we don't have vaccines for it. Fucking hell the ignorance displayed in this thread all because of MUH FREEEDOMS1111!!!

1 hour ago, notyal said:

It's good to ask questions. I'm asking all the fear monger YouTubers to explain Step 2 of the government mask control plot. 

Honestly I don't think it's about the masks when it comes to the whole goverment plot conspiracy theories. I think it's more a "you give them an inch they take a mile" type deal that people are afraid of and if you're any sort of student of history, you'll know that government overreach is far from the exception, it's the norm when left unchecked. People don't trust government and in my opinion they shouldn't. We should always be aware of and examine what our lawmakers and government are up to because it's very possible that one day you'll look up and realize many of your freedoms are gone and you'll wonder when that happened. No one thinks our government is going to up and turn into a Stalin-esque dictatorship overnight. People are more worried about the death of liberty and freedom from a 1000 paper cuts. 

Sure, forcing masks is something very tiny that everyone should be fine with. But if we're okay with having masks force upon us, then what's next? How far can we be pushed?
Let's try forcing everyone regardless of age to wear a helmet on bikes no matter what. No big deal, right? It's for your own safety.
Hey we already took away your 30 round magazines in many states, you don't need that. But now that you're used to that, let's remove all semi autos and only allow bolt action or single shot rifles. It's for your own safety.
Let's stop allowing liquor companies to make liquor over 80 proof or ban liquor outright. No one really needs alcohol that strong. It's for your own safety.
Now that we banned liquor and saw a huge decrease in alcohol health related issues and drunk driving, let's get rid of wine too. It's too strong and it's for your own safety.
Let's put cameras in everyone's house like China so when you call 911 they can see and assess the situation. No one will abuse that and it's for your own safety.
We've seen an increase in injuries related to mountain biking that increases medical costs and takes away medical resources from other people practicing safer forms of exercise. People don't really need to be riding through rugged terrain with obstacles/jumps/drops so let's ban offroad biking. It's for your own safety.

Yes, I'm just making this shit up as I go and it sounds ridiculous but if you don't think there are people in government who would like to limit our freedoms by a substantial amount, then I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona. It goes for both sides as well. Gun control for the left and abortion for the right are two excellent instances where goverment wants to limit personal freedom in the guise of saving lives.

The best way to counteract these people is to be aware of what your reps are doing, be knowledgable and vote their ass out of office when they fuck around.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

This is completely worthless argument. Humans have been living with the the flu for a LONG TIME...we've built up immunities, our bodies know how to fight it, we have fucking vaccines for it. There is a reason it's called NOVEL coronavirus...because it's fucking NEW. Our bodies have no defense against it, we don't have vaccines for it. Fucking hell the ignorance displayed in this thread all because of MUH FREEEDOMS1111!!!

200.gif

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

When people disagree with you, do you always immediately treat them like shit with cussing and name calling? Your response is part of the problem as people tend to get defensive when they get called fucking ignorant and instead of changing their minds, your attacks just make them dig in their heels even more. From your post, you strike me as a person that cannot have a civil conversation with anyone who might disagree with your views. Perhaps I'm wrong but I only have that post to go on.

Instead of attacking, why not try to actually understand WHY people disagree with you? Don't you think it would be easier to change someone's opinion if you understood their point of view? Also, not attacking with vitriol and hate would probably help as well. Empathy goes a long way in life even if you completely disagree with a person's perspective. 

I'm all for mask wearing and helping prevent spread. But I also understand why others don't want to and I don't hate them for it or feel the need to call them fucking ignorant. It just isn't necessary and is not helpful one iota. But these are the days of social media where it's evidently acceptable to be a complete asshole to strangers and treat them like shit. Getting rid of my facebook and twitter account were two of my better decisions in life a couple years ago.

9 minutes ago, TheX said:

Worldometer for the US as of right now. Darn those pesky facts.

cases.png.c01634fe5dc9c8a6ffda30680b77076f.png

deaths.png.f2d466ced3086fe4f18c48063399b8c2.png

So, you're not concerned that the spike at the end of the first chart isn't going to start showing up a while later on the second chart? The trends in the lines seem to be pretty similar. There is the initial spike, then a downward trend in both. Now, currently seeing a big spike in cases over the past 2 weeks. It takes a while to die.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JMR said:

Just read how Round Rock is going to make masks mandatory for people 10 and older starting July 1st. For 60 days. 10 and older. Any guesses why 9 yrs and below are exempted?

It's because 9 and younger are easy to brainwash with or without a mask.

20 minutes ago, JMR said:

Just read how Round Rock is going to make masks mandatory for people 10 and older starting July 1st. For 60 days. 10 and older. Any guesses why 9 yrs and below are exempted?

To me this is insulting because:

A. It implies that parents are not able to control their kids (not true)

B. That somehow kids are not susceptible (not true)

C. That if a kid gets it they cannot later spread it to a parent at home when the masks are off (not true)

People keep dancing around the facts and that is what landed us in the situation we are in. 60 days from now we'll see the people in RR saying the mask rule did not work because of all of the cases that they still have. This is like deciding to eat healthy well balanced dinners every night but eating 2 big bowls of Fruit Loops every morning and wondering why you haven't lost weight.

Edit - my wife just told me this is the Austin rule too, so it is stupid for both of them. They should go for 100% masks and assume there is some fallout. When you start exempting a large chunk of the audience, it makes it easier for others to ignore.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JMR said:

My guess would be it is due to the size of the typical mask and not wanting to get into situations of folks being forced to retrofit them for smaller faces - but just a guess. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, notyal said:

So, you're not concerned that the spike at the end of the first chart isn't going to start showing up a while later on the second chart? The trends in the lines seem to be pretty similar. There is the initial spike, then a downward trend in both. Now, currently seeing a big spike in cases over the past 2 weeks. It takes a while to die.

Yep! This is the graph that concerns me the most as it is right here in Williamson County, you know, the place where certain folks are thrilled to be able to romp around uninhibited with no mask. 

image.thumb.png.12f84083f5250bc50fcec64cf666c653.png

• Like 2

My bad. The man is trustworthy. I'm sure he has your best interests in mind.
I know the man does not have my best interests in mind.

However, isnt more of the medical and scientific community that are suggesting the masks? Not just here but across the world.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

When people disagree with you, do you always immediately treat them like shit with cussing and name calling? Your response is part of the problem as people tend to get defensive when they get called fucking ignorant and instead of changing their minds, your attacks just make them dig in their heels even more. From your post, you strike me as a person that cannot have a civil conversation with anyone who might disagree with your views. Perhaps I'm wrong but I only have that post to go on.

Instead of attacking, why not try to actually understand WHY people disagree with you? Don't you think it would be easier to change someone's opinion if you understood their point of view? Also, not attacking with vitriol and hate would probably help as well. Empathy goes a long way in life even if you completely disagree with a person's perspective. 

I'm all for mask wearing and helping prevent spread. But I also understand why others don't want to and I don't hate them for it or feel the need to call them fucking ignorant. It just isn't necessary and is not helpful one iota. But these are the days of social media where it's evidently acceptable to be a complete asshole to strangers and treat them like shit. Getting rid of my facebook and twitter account were two of my better decisions in life a couple years ago.

No, just when people continuously, without change, show that they do not care about other people at all.

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

No, just when people continuously, without change, show that they do not care about other people at all.

I’m just guessing...but the way you piss and moan about people who don’t agree with you, might suggest that you don’t care about other people at all as well. 

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

I know the man does not have my best interests in mind.

However, isnt more of the medical and scientific community that are suggesting the masks? Not just here but across the world.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I tend to think of it as a medical and scientific corporation. Rather than a community. 

48 minutes ago, JMR said:

I’m just guessing...but the way you piss and moan about people who don’t agree with you, might suggest that you don’t care about other people at all as well. 

This right here shows you have no understanding at all,.  I'm not pissing and moaning about being disagreed with. At all. But seems you really can't understand that.

36 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

This right here shows you have no understanding at all,.  I'm not pissing and moaning about being disagreed with. At all. But seems you really can't understand that.

No. I understand completely. I refuse to wear a mask. You assume I’m out to kill your whole family. It’s over dramatic. You fly off the handle and call people names because we don’t bury our heads in the sand like you do. Good luck with that bud. Get back in line. Do as you’re told. 

5 minutes ago, JMR said:

No. I understand completely. I refuse to wear a mask. You assume I’m out to kill your whole family. It’s over dramatic. You fly off the handle and call people names because we don’t bury our heads in the sand like you do. Good luck with that bud. Get back in line. Do as you’re told. 

No. I assume you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Killing others is just unfortunately going to be the result. Maybe not for you. Even likely not you. But someone like you. As I've said: petulant, self-centered, selfish.

Not doing "what I'm told"...doing what is "right" but not for me. For everyone else, including you.  

4 hours ago, TheX said:

Worldometer for the US as of right now. Darn those pesky facts.

cases.png.c01634fe5dc9c8a6ffda30680b77076f.png

deaths.png.f2d466ced3086fe4f18c48063399b8c2.png

Guess what precedes a wave of deaths. That's right, confirmed cases. Or unconfirmed cases. People are not dropping dead (after miserable weeks on a respirator) from nothing in these rates.

47 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

No. I assume you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Killing others is just unfortunately going to be the result. Maybe not for you. Even likely not you. But someone like you. As I've said: petulant, self-centered, selfish.

Not doing "what I'm told"...doing what is "right" but not for me. For everyone else, including you.  

You clearly haven’t read anything that I’ve said lately. I am WAY more concerned about us as Americans than I am about a mask. Self centered? Look in the mirror bro. 

Do what you gotta do. Wear your mask. Obey. I realize it’s easier for you to feel like you’re doing your part and saving society one mask at a time. It’s hard to be the one who doubts. People think you’re crazy. They say you’re selfish. People have been conditioned for this. 

Edited by JMR
Thought of this later.

4 hours ago, quixoft said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201811/why-certain-people-will-never-admit-they-were-wrong

I don't care if someone has a difference of opinion. That's fine. I have a problem with those that are too selfish and self-centered to care about anyone else. Arguing with them will not ever change their mind, simply because they are incapable of change. Their world-view consists of "ME and ONLY ME" and they are NEVER wrong. They believe the earth is flat in spite of overwhelming evidence it is not. They believe astronauts did not land on the moon, in spite of evidence they did and that with a big enough telescope you can see the marks on the moon where they landed. They believe the entirety of the world is conspiring and making up a chinese flu that isn't any different than any other disease in spite of the fact there are over half a million dead from it. They believe that wearing a mask is indicative of being a "sheep" when it is simply a self-less act of trying to prevent it's spread. The only thing, if that is even possible in some cases, that would change the minds of people like this is experience. In this specific case, that would mean the death of someone they care about due to their own actions which could have been prevented by simple preventative measures, like wearing a mask. 

• Albert locked this topic