IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

17 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201811/why-certain-people-will-never-admit-they-were-wrong

I don't care if someone has a difference of opinion. That's fine. I have a problem with those that are too selfish and self-centered to care about anyone else. Arguing with them will not ever change their mind, simply because they are incapable of change. Their world-view consists of "ME and ONLY ME" and they are NEVER wrong. They believe the earth is flat in spite of overwhelming evidence it is not. They believe astronauts did not land on the moon, in spite of evidence they did and that with a big enough telescope you can see the marks on the moon where they landed. They believe the entirety of the world is conspiring and making up a chinese flu that isn't any different than any other disease in spite of the fact there are over half a million dead from it. They believe that wearing a mask is indicative of being a "sheep" when it is simply a self-less act of trying to prevent it's spread. The only thing, if that is even possible in some cases, that would change the minds of people like this is experience. In this specific case, that would mean the death of someone they care about due to their own actions which could have been prevented by simple preventative measures, like wearing a mask. 

I don't disagree with any of that. There are quite a few of those people around and I vehemently disagree with them. But I try my best to do it respectfully and nicely even if they are attacking me with hate and name calling. I used to get angry and make hateful posts but I decided many years ago that I didn't like being angry as it was exhausting and it didn't accomplish a damn thing. Not once.

So I try my best to be kind to everyone and that includes those who treat me like shit. I don't want to be the asshole who intentionally tries to hurt people(I was that guy at one time) even though I know for a fact they are flat out wrong. I'm not always successful but I've found it feels much better to be nice.

I have zero issue with anything you've said outside of the name calling and anger toward others. Honestly, I'm willing to bet quite a bit that you're a good person and that you don't intentionally try to hurt people with words. I know all too well how easy it is to attack folks over the interwebz. It felt good and righteous when I used to do it but it feels much better now when I try to be nice. 

I hope you have a good night my friend.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheX said:

A bit out of date. This information is a bit more relevant: 

"Now that serology tests are available, which test for antibodies, the estimates we have right now show about 10 times more people have antibodies in the jurisdictions tested than had documented infections."

https://time.com/5859790/cdc-coronavirus-estimates/

14 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

"Now that serology tests are available, which test for antibodies, the estimates we have right now show about 10 times more people have antibodies in the jurisdictions tested than had documented infections."

I read this today as well. 

17 hours ago, quixoft said:

Getting rid of my facebook and twitter account were two of my better decisions in life a couple years ago.

Ditto! I really do appreciate your neutral, peacekeeping approach on this thread, helping others see opposing points of view. Like you, I wear a mask when I'm in a public place, not because I had to (until now anyway), but because I want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Like you, I don't harbor ill will towards those who choose not to wear a mask, but I do nod my head in wonderment. If bombs were dropping around us and civic leaders insisted that we take shelter, we wouldn't argue that our freedoms were being stripped from us. This is no different. There is simply no arguing that this pandemic is not real. We can certainly debate whether the cure is worse than the disease, but by wearing masks, we have the best chance of keeping at least some businesses open.

If there's any argument against wearing masks, I think it should be simply over whether or not we as a society are OK culling our population. Instead, certain people want to hide behind a position of this being a media frenzy that is blown out of proportion or a world-wide plot to oust Trump. Seriously I would be much more accepting of somebody just stepping up and saying overpopulation is a problem, spending the majority of our healthcare dollars on old people and people with chronic health conditions is a problem, and this pandemic is the solution to those problems so let it run its course, i.e. "Survival of the Fittest". Even if I didn't agree with that position, I would be more accepting of it than the lame excuses that have been thrown around on this thread. It's easier though for folks to just politicize it. 

It's become personal for me now with several family members in Houston having fallen victim to COVID-19, including my favorite Aunt whom I adore. Rest assured though I won't be looking for individuals to blame no matter how bad things get. Like so many other issues across our society, I'll just hope for and vote for progressive change in the future.  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, quixoft said:

Getting rid of my facebook and twitter account were two of my better decisions in life a couple years ago.

100-f@cking-percent

I've only had an Instagram acct, and that was to keep up with bikes, bands and booze but after coronageddon I had enough of the doom. Wife deleted twitter shortly after. The lack of noise is good.

We don't watch network news either.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

The story that involved Pam LeBlanc was all over the media yesterday and I found it quite interesting. And Sad. 

In a nutshell herself and companion go for a Covid test, Same location, Same company. One used insurance and one paid cash

Then hilarity ensued,,, Good times <sarcasm>

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/upshot/coronavirus-tests-unpredictable-prices.html

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

The story that involved Pam LeBlanc was all over the media yesterday and I found it quite interesting. And Sad. 

In a nutshell herself and companion go for a Covid test, Same location, Same company. One used insurance and one paid cash

Then hilarity ensued,,, Good times <sarcasm>

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/upshot/coronavirus-tests-unpredictable-prices.html

Saw that. Insane

Best for profit healthcare system in the world <uber sarcasm>

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Saw that. Insane

Best for profit healthcare system in the world <uber sarcasm>

Haha don't get me started! What tore me up more than anything working for large health systems was how wealthy board members got flagged as VIPs with balances due on their accounts getting comped, while the lowest wage earners in the company were offered payment plans through payroll deduction to take care of their balances. Nowhere but America buddy!  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JMR said:

No. I understand completely. I refuse to wear a mask. You assume I’m out to kill your whole family. It’s over dramatic. You fly off the handle and call people names because we don’t bury our heads in the sand like you do. Good luck with that bud. Get back in line. Do as you’re told. 

LOL...

What a hypocrite jackass comment.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I've been stuck down the Jocko rabbit hole lately and this one always stood out to me. Never forget, we are all people.

Should someone ever need a kidney... Watch how fast their prejudice gets set aside.

Well... If they're not just totally stupid. And unfortunately there are a few of those around.

On 6/29/2020 at 12:35 PM, notyal said:

You really should watch it. It's only 0:30. It's not about masks. (Although if the gnomes had been collecting underpants to make masks and sell them for profit, it all makes sense now.) Just reminded me of the "plan" to control people by asking them to wear mask.  Here's a 10s clip of just the "plan". 

It's good to ask questions. I'm asking all the fear monger YouTubers to explain Step 2 of the government mask control plot. 

On the other hand, I completely understand the mask wearing plan. Step 1: people wear masks in public places. Step 2: less of their spit and snot gets in the air and on surfaces in public places. Step 3: less people get sick and die.

It's all about finding a way to allow Stan to call Cartman a fat ass.

for the 500th time, no one is saying that a mask will protect the wearer from contracting the virus. the mask helps prevent the wearer from spreading it through spitting, coughing, sneezing, touching the nose/mouth, etc. the more people wear masks in public, the less likely it will get spread from one person to another. also, if everyone wears a mask, it looks and feels less weird.

at this point I feel like anyone who does not understand that has a head full of bricks or is just making bad-faith arguments for the sake of trolling.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TheX said:

Ooops, how dare they!!!

mask.thumb.png.3408b414fb2656b949e5de8abb33095f.png

I do believe that is  the exact point guys have trying to make - Thanks for illustrating 

It does not prevent the wearer from getting but helps the wearer from potentially spreading to others

7 hours ago, throet said:

If there's any argument against wearing masks, I think it should be simply over whether or not we as a society are OK culling our population. Instead, certain people want to hide behind a position of this being a media frenzy that is blown out of proportion or a world-wide plot to oust Trump. Seriously I would be much more accepting of somebody just stepping up and saying overpopulation is a problem, spending the majority of our healthcare dollars on old people and people with chronic health conditions is a problem, and this pandemic is the solution to those problems so let it run its course, i.e. "Survival of the Fittest". Even if I didn't agree with that position, I would be more accepting of it than the lame excuses that have been thrown around on this thread. It's easier though for folks to just politicize it. 

This is actually a topic that I'm very interested in. Unfortunately it's one that is difficult to discuss because many people are unable to step back from their emotions and treat the subject as a scientific study. If you mention Darwinism or "survival of the fittest" to improve the herd survivability as a whole, you will get absolutely destroyed in most cases because people think you just want to murder the old and sick or are into eugenics a la Brave New World. In reality, it's just a thought exercise for most.

It's an interesting discussion. We use our definition of being a "civilized" species with compassion as the main reason for trying to save everyone when nature would have killed off millions if not billions over the years had we not intervened with medical technology. I've always wondered, are we actually inhibiting our own evolution by doing our best to help and save those who nature would normally eliminate? My logical brain says yes we are inhibiting our evolution as a species but my emotional brain says fuck nature, let's save whomever we can!

Viruses do a couple things in nature to improve species in general. They make a species more robust and hardy by eliminating those who can't withstand their attack. They also evolve us via genetic mutation, some good which survive and reproduce and some bad which generally die off. At least for non humans that's the case. This article claims that 30% of our genetic mutations since our divergence from chimpanzees are a result of viruses modifying or mutating our genetic code. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160713100911.htm

I'm always both amazed and horrified by the pride we take in trying to tame nature and that includes our efforts to actively prevent natural selection.

It's a really cool topic to study but as I said, a lot of folks can't handle the subject.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

If that holds true, then the death rate is an entire order of magnitude lower than the data show. I'm of the opinion that it's most likely true.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

for the 500th time, no one is saying that a mask will protect the wearer from contracting the virus.

Actually, i have one that filters/seals well enough that covid droplets can go f@ck themselves. However, wearing and cleaning that bastard and then also trying to protect myself from other possible risks of covid infection becomes overwhelming and will make you crazy. I just ended up boosting my immune system as much as possible, stay the f@ck home and wear the paper N95 when I have to go inside somewhere. I can basically count the times ive had to do that on one hand.

Like the rest of us, fingers crossed

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

• Albert locked this topic