IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

I think whats really depressing is the reality that lies beyond COVID. Regardless where you fall on the issue of masks or COVID, the right cannot deny that the economy is in a freefall  that will easily surpass depression level poverty and disparity. The left has to acknowledge that poverty and the virus is spreading like wildfire and their proclaimed leaders have done little more than virtue signal. It's a sad reality that we as a country have allowed ourselves to fail each other. We have managed to not only crash the economy, but also explode the virus as well. I used to quote a friend who said  "only the russians could fuck something up this much" and now I feel like it's our turn to be the great disappointment. There are more than a few parallels to be found in the collapse of empires and it's not encouraging.

To nobodies surprise, the one thing we have achieved during this crisis, is a massive redistribution of wealth upward without any accountability. That was the first priority, not people. Now we as people sit and argue semantics while rome burns. That is the cruelty that we seem to refuse to acknowledge. 

To me, this is the strangest thing and why I have hostility.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

I think whats really depressing is the reality that lies beyond COVID. Regardless where you fall on the issue of masks or COVID, the right cannot deny that the economy is in a freefall  that will easily surpass depression level poverty and disparity. The left has to acknowledge that poverty and the virus is spreading like wildfire and their proclaimed leaders have done little more than virtue signal. It's a sad reality that we as a country have allowed ourselves to fail each other. We have managed to not only crash the economy, but also explode the virus as well. I used to quote a friend who said  "only the russians could fuck something up this much" and now I feel like it's our turn to be the great disappointment. There are more than a few parallels to be found in the collapse of empires and it's not encouraging.

To nobodies surprise, the one thing we have achieved during this crisis, is a massive redistribution of wealth upward without any accountability. That was the first priority, not people. Now we as people sit and argue semantics while rome burns. That is the cruelty that we seem to refuse to acknowledge. 

The biggest issue that I see is that Democrats and Republicans are simply two sides of the same coin and that coin is controlled by Wall Street and corporate lobbyists. In general, both parties are only worried about keeping the super rich happy and above everything.  While we get hostile with each other in discussions about the party differences like gun control, abortion, immigration, etc, both parties continue to further expand the division of wealth.

Nothing will change until people start voting out BOTH parties to enact change. But that won't happen because most people choose a hill to die on whether that's abortion or gun control. If I'm pro abortion, I'm going to vote a straight blue ticket. If I like guns, I'm going to vote a straight red ticket. Forget everything else, those are my hills and I'm either winning or going down in a blaze of glory.

People are too damn lazy to actually research the entire platforms of the people for whom they are voting. My election ballot every election cycle consists of some red, some blue, some libertarian, and even some green every so often! I vote for the person and their ideas, not their party. But I always spend a weekend or two researching every single candidate, especially the local elections. I still can't fathom why people don't vote locally. Your local folks have much more impact on your life and situation than say the president. But people just don't care and that is why we in the state we are in. 

So until people get their heads out of the sand and actually start exercising their rights, we'll continue down the path we are. Getting hostile doesn't work. People need to research and vote these assholes out of office and that means both Democrats and Republicans. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are some good folks on both sides but I think there are far more that are just in it to win it for themselves and their corporate handlers.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I hear you ATXZJ but I don't have such a pessimistic view of the future.  Sure, things suck now and they're going to suck more tomorrow but what about the day after that?  Do you REALLY believe that this left/right battle is the end of everything we know?  Even the big corporate machine out there needs people to spend money so they can make money.  Even corrupt politicians have to live in the world they create and their kids and grandkids will someday inherit.  I don't see civilization augering into the ground.  Maybe I'm just putting on blinders but I know that there are some things I can influence and some things that I cannot.  Focusing on the negative will pull me down emotionally and that isn't healthy or helpful to anyone trying to solve these problems.  If we all believe that we can't solve these problems and there is no point in trying, guess what?  There is no point in trying.  However, I think that we can solve them and I'm not going to succumb to the negative hype out there.  It's just as bad as the 'life will go back to normal' hype. 

If there is a massive asteroid heading towards the planet, looking up at it and cussing about how everything sucks is not how I would want to spend my last breath.  I'd rather be working on the spaceship to Mars or riding my bike on some sweet single track.  Either of those options are productive and I wouldn't want that time back.  That's just me I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

Nothing will change until people start voting out BOTH parties to enact change. But that won't happen because most people choose a hill to die on whether that's abortion or gun control. If I'm pro abortion, I'm going to vote a straight blue ticket. If I like guns, I'm going to vote a straight red ticket. Forget everything else, those are my hills and I'm either winning or going down in a blaze of glory.

The only thing worse than a single issue voter is someone who can’t fathom a person voting on both sides of different issues. If I’m a gun advocate the left thinks I’m a soon to be serial killer, if I’m pro choice the right thinks I want all babies to die. 

The informed independent voter will always be scrutinized by whoever their audience of the moment is. This is 2020. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

The only thing worse than a single issue voter is someone who can’t fathom a person voting on both sides of different issues. If I’m a gun advocate the left thinks I’m a soon to be serial killer, if I’m pro choice the right thinks I want all babies to die. 

The informed independent voter will always be scrutinized by whoever their audience of the moment is. This is 2020. 

Haha, yep! It's extremely rare that I talk politics(or religion) with anyone outside my wife, sister, or parents and a few very close friends. Mostly because of exactly what you said above.

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

If we all believe that we can't solve these problems and there is no point in trying, guess what?  There is no point in trying.  However, I think that we can solve them and I'm not going to succumb to the negative hype out there.  It's just as bad as the 'life will go back to normal' hype. 

Well said.

Agree with a lot of what  @Tree Magnet and @quixoft have to say. It really does come down to a system that refuses to change and how long one is willing to wait for it if so. Take universal healthcare for example. It was first floated in 1944 by Roosevelt, then Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Carter Clinton, Obama and to even an extent Trump. Anyone who heard that speech in 1944 most likely died waiting for universal healthcare to materialize. It's 2020 and we can't even agree to wear a mask or not, but we're gonna reform major issues within the system? With big money and interest involved? Forgive my pessimism. You also have to understand that half the population was living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't afford a $400 dollar emergency before Covid. Those people are not stoked to go ride their bikes or work on rockets. They are currently facing eviction and worse. Has the GOVT floated a Jobs plan? Nope. UBI? Nope For that matter, any plan whatsoever? Nope. Just more money for the ruling class and business as usual. This past decade alone we were having these same discussions regarding 911,  Katrina and then following that, the great recession.  

I've lived and traveled all over the USA and when a particular state was no longer viable, we moved on. I see no difference with countries and no reason to hitch my wagon to any particular place or belief. I don't let any of this negativity get to me because of this philosophy. 

As far as my economic and political information. It comes mostly from people like Chomsky, Wolff, Hedges, West,  Ratigan and various other independent thinkers. Take that for what you will.

P.S. Tried to schedule an appointment with my kids orthodontist today. The practice is closed indefinitely as the entire staff now has COVID.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, notyal said:

What happens at a Vanilla Ice concert after he plays Ice Ice Baby?

Go home?

Wait! First you wake everybody up and tell them the concerts over. Then go home.

Edited by JMR
Reasonable thought
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JMR said:

Go home?

Wait! First you wake everybody up and tell them the concerts over. Then go home.

So before he plays it, every yells " PLAY ICE ICE BABY!", then he does and you wake up and go home. Seems like money well spent.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, JMR said:

Again with the name calling..... ouch bro. You got me. Pretty clever. Maybe someday I’ll be like you. 

I was really trying to keep quiet today. 

Sorry... It was a jackass comment and I called it as I saw it.

As for being like me someday... You'd need to have my genes... And that's just not possible anymore. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/internal-messages-reveal-crisis-houston-hospitals-coronavirus-cases-surge-n1232640

Sick people are sick. Dead is the last stop in this chain of events for some, and one that we all would like to avoid. Wonder if governor flippy feet will take any responsibility for this.........

yeah right

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

someone pointed out to me today that hospitals are not "the front line" of defense against the pandemic. they are the last line, the last resort, the last hope. the front lines are people going about their daily lives and fighting the virus mostly by passive means: staying home as much as they can, wearing a mask in public, social distancing, yadda yadda yadda.

• Like 3

Finally

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/required-all-texans-must-wear-face-coverings-gov-greg-abbott-orders/

“COVID-19 is not going away. In fact, it’s getting worse.”

wonder why that is?

This will be interesting

"Restrictions on outdoor gatherings are also included in the order. Gatherings can no longer be over 10 people and, with certain exceptions, groups over 10 must maintain six feet of social distancing."

• Like 1

• Albert locked this topic