IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

When we lived in NM, we discoved these quotes from former govenor Lew Wallace. This paragraph sums up our experiences trying to make change in a society that resists it at all costs to themselves.

After the past year, we share the same sentiment with the US. 

He wrote his wife on April 29, 1881, that “All calculations based on our experiences elsewhere fail in New Mexico.” Wallace predicted that Sheldon would follow in his footsteps: “Of course, he will do just as I did, have the same ideas, make the same attempts, and with the same heartiness of effort, soon cool in zeal, then finally say, ‘All right, let her drift.’”

Edited by ATXZJ

Oh, and if you are wondering what a COVID test is like, it is a simple 10 second procedure where they swab both nostrils.

The first one took about 2 seconds and I thought, wow, this whole thing was a lot easier than I anticipated it would OH MY GOD THAT THING IS IN MY BRAIN!!!!!!

At least it is over with and I'll be cleared for surgery this afternoon when the results come back.

• Like 3

From st. David's today.

After reviewing the order and the implications to our patients, it is important to know that at this time our hospitals have the bed capacity, supplies and equipment we need to continue serving patients, meeting the requirements under Governor Abbott’s executive order. Beyond our hospitals, we also have alternate settings for surgeries, including surgery centers and specialty hospitals, which also factor into our decision to schedule a surgery.

Just talked to my across the street neighbor, he's a director at St. David's. 

Below expected utilization. So, I get my info directly from.

Hospital management/admins

Nurses

Doctors

Official county websites

Official hospital info

Yeah, I'm full of shit. I'm sure your MSM is WAY better.

10 minutes ago, TheX said:

From st. David's today.

After reviewing the order and the implications to our patients, it is important to know that at this time our hospitals have the bed capacity, supplies and equipment we need to continue serving patients, meeting the requirements under Governor Abbott’s executive order. Beyond our hospitals, we also have alternate settings for surgeries, including surgery centers and specialty hospitals, which also factor into our decision to schedule a surgery.

No, this is a direct result of Abbott taking action without having the appropriate constituents dialed in and on the same page, it is a failure of leadership.

Basically he came out and said "no more elective surgeries" and totally blindsided the medical field. Remember they rely on surgeries to keep the lights on and this proclamation killed many of them last time around. 

So there was a scramble, suddenly, within 3 hours of the edict they came back with outpatient surgeries are ok (this is what mine is). I literally went from "oh fuck" to "awesome" in a very short period of time. That never should have happened. If the facilities were on board all of that would have been hashed out.

The facilities all basically said that yes, they were at capacity, but that they could make accommodations for COVID (i.e. doubling up, etc) to keep things going so that they could still do surgeries and still stay in business.

It was foolish of Abbott to unilaterally take that step yesterday without having them on board. More importantly, when they said no more surgeries (which do not lead to infections) but bars can stay open, you can go tubing and hang out at Schlitterbahn, I'd sure the medical field hit the roof. Abbott was basically making the hospitals bear the brunt of the problem while giving the bars a free ride. Which is why they were shut down this morning.

This whole thing screams of Abbott not having a plan and not understanding what is going on. Zero leadership.

Having the bars shut down is the first thing to really signal the seriousness of the situation. Give it about 2 more weeks and we'll see mask requirements. You can't bully the virus, they're starting to slowly understand that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheX said:

I guess the hospital is full of shit too.

It shouldn't have to reach crisis level before we take minor precautions to prevent it from reaching that crisis level.

Where is St. David's statement does it say "don't wear a mask"? 

Hospitals are businesses run like corporations. (They shouldn't be, but that's another discussion.) This is just a statement saying that they still have the capacity to do more business. A hospital saying that they're not turning away patients yet is not exactly an "all clear". 

My wife works at Seton. She said they are having to transfer patient's to clear up beds for Covid patients. So, our anecdotal stories of hospital cases don't exactly match up. 

13 hours ago, notyal said:

I've asked this several times now in several ways and have never gotten a clear answer. Anti-maskers, what do you have to gain by not wearing one? Why fight it so hard? Is it purely a politically fueled show of defiance? Are you afraid your fellow anti-maskers will see you and make fun of you?

Again, I can’t answer for everybody. But, I live and work in a rural part of Williamson county. I spend a majority of my time in my office with minimal contact with people. My wife has similar contact at her work. I’m what you would classify an anti-social person. I don’t like hanging with drama and putting up with their BS. I don’t go tubing or frequent bars. I order HEB online and a masked person drops my stuff in the back of my car. My day to day activities are now labeled “social distancing”. Therefore, I don’t feel I need to wear a mask. So I’m not going to. 

Plus, there’s political movement behind the smokescreen. I’m more concerned with that than I am with a cough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

No, this is a direct result of Abbott taking action without having the appropriate constituents dialed in and on the same page, it is a failure of leadership.

This whole thing screams of Abbott not having a plan and not understanding what is going on. Zero leadership.

Something i've been banging on about for months. But hey, with a team of insiders like this heading up the covid task force, is it any surprise why things are so f@cked? 

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/21/texas-reopening-task-force/

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Having the bars shut down is the first thing to really signal the seriousness of the situation. Give it about 2 more weeks and we'll see mask requirements. You can't bully the virus, they're starting to slowly understand that.

If only the military could have invaded and bombed covid 19. America would have cured the pandemic in march.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JMR said:

Again, I can’t answer for everybody. But, I live and work in a rural part of Williamson county. I spend a majority of my time in my office with minimal contact with people. My wife has similar contact at her work. I’m what you would classify an anti-social person. I don’t like hanging with drama and putting up with their BS. I don’t go tubing or frequent bars. I order HEB online and a masked person drops my stuff in the back of my car. My day to day activities are now labeled “social distancing”. Therefore, I don’t feel I need to wear a mask. So I’m not going to. 

I wish you had mentioned that a long time ago. In that case, there are few, if any, reasons for you to wear a mask. no reasonable person would ask you to wear a mask while you sit alone in your own office, car, or home. for the rest of us who have to, and occasionally chose to, go out among the general public to work, buy groceries, and take care of general daily business, it's imperative that we start with face coverings as a bare minimum. I don't know what your tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracies are comprised of otherwise, but if that's what your day is like, you're not a treat to others nor are others a threat to you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JMR said:

Plus, there’s political movement behind the smokescreen. I’m more concerned with that than I am with a cough. 

I appreciate the answer. Honestly, I'm in a very similar situation. Working from home and live in a small rural community in Hays county. I didn't go out to many bars or movies and such before. I do put on my mask when I go to the store or something, but I don't have to wear it all that much. So, it's easy for me to practice what I preach. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Hmmm, pretty much ever other report shows that the protests were not the cause of the spike because a.) they were outside and b.) most people were wearing masks. 

Oh come on! Every part of society has played a part in this spike, absolutely 100% including the protests. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Oh come on! Every part of society has played a part in this spike, absolutely 100% including the protests. 

Not according to Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-protesters-few-coronavirus-positives

Or Austin: https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd-mike-ramos-protests/austin-public-health-no-cases-of-covid-19-linked-to-protests-so-far/

If you listen to the real health experts, you see that they shy away from trying to say that protests drove this. As a matter of fact, even Abbott failed to bring that up. Clearly he was anti-protest and if there were even a shred of evidence he'd be all over it. Not a peep.

I think there has been some inconsistency in how the media has portrayed protesters. Depending on the network, one side is going to expose everyone to covid and the others are freedom fighters.  

Depending on your take, thats the biggest issue with this pandemic. It's exposed how flawed and corrupt our systems are and people just don't trust or believe what they see or hear anymore. To some its an awakening 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Not according to Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-protesters-few-coronavirus-positives

Or Austin: https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd-mike-ramos-protests/austin-public-health-no-cases-of-covid-19-linked-to-protests-so-far/

If you listen to the real health experts, you see that they shy away from trying to say that protests drove this. As a matter of fact, even Abbott failed to bring that up. Clearly he was anti-protest and if there were even a shred of evidence he'd be all over it. Not a peep.

I don’t watch or care about any of the media. I simply see hundreds and hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people with and without masks gathering to protest. The only fact here is that not every protestor has a mask on. 

Nobody is going to tell me the same ratio of masks to no masks at some other type of gathering is causing more harm than these protests. Period. And honestly, there are some people are trying to push this agenda. 

It is mind boggling how cripple our society is right now in a blame game. From the highest to the lowest level. 

15 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Nobody is going to tell me the same ratio of masks to no masks at some other type of gathering is causing more harm than these protests.

Probably neither gun toting incels protesting outside 6-8 weeks ago, nor BLM folks protesting outside recently did much to the number of cases. Hell, T&A hour at Walnut Creek and HOL dam gatherings in the thick of the shut-down probably didn't do much either. More and more these outside activities look to be non-contagion events. The problem really looks to be close quarter inside situations. This jives with the Kinsa data as well, where they show the numbers plummeting when bars originally closed. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

TL;DR: dozens of Lakeway teenagers all exposed to Covid-19 because they wanted to party.

I couldn't find out in any of the 5 articles I searched for it, but according to Reddit the party was outside and so far it looks like 8 of 300 are testing positive. 

19 minutes ago, Barry said:

Probably neither gun toting incels protesting outside 6-8 weeks ago, nor BLM folks protesting outside recently did much to the number of cases. Hell, T&A hour at Walnut Creek and HOL dam gatherings in the thick of the shut-down probably didn't do much either. More and more these outside activities look to be non-contagion events. The problem really looks to be close quarter inside situations. This jives with the Kinsa data as well, where they show the numbers plummeting when bars originally closed. 

I’m all in on comparing indoor vs outdoor events. 

Saying Idaho Coeur d’Alene AR15 owners in outdoors crowds with masks on standing in front of their businesses are putting the population at risk of getting the virus, but in the same city the protestors are “doing things the right way” is a comparison that is not in good faith. 

That is what I’m tired of. 

• Like 2

• Albert locked this topic