IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I found it humorous that school districts are having Zoom conference calls because they say it is too dangerous to have on-site meetings - to discuss sending kids back to school.

Last night I had a young woman walk up to my open garage (I live in an apartment complex) and ask, "What are youuuu dooiinnnggg?"

Really strange... Kind of creepy too... Seeing that it should have been obvious that I was working on a bicycle.

I responded with... "Why do you want to know?"

To which she thought for a moment and then said to herself... "Why do I want to know?"... "What are you doing... Why do I want to know?"

And then she just walked off.

Seriously... WTF is going on?

portable mortuaries coming to Texas: "The Federal Emergency Management Agency is sending 14 refrigerated trucks to the state next week — on top of the eight already sent — to serve as temporary mortuaries, while some funeral homes are reserving their own trucks from private companies."

supposedly, shortly before Heaven's Gate members took their own lives, they bought a $3,600 telescope to see the spaceship that was coming to take them away. they promptly returned the telescope and demanded a refund (like they needed the money) because it was defective. the "defect" was that no matter how carefully they trained it on the Hale-Bopp comet, the telescope could not see the spaceship that they knew was following it. stupid telescope!

cognitive dissonance can be quite strong with people who are highly motivated to pursue an ignorant path.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

portable mortuaries coming to Texas: "The Federal Emergency Management Agency is sending 14 refrigerated trucks to the state next week — on top of the eight already sent — to serve as temporary mortuaries, while some funeral homes are reserving their own trucks from private companies."

supposedly, shortly before Heaven's Gate members took their own lives, they bought a $3,600 telescope to see the spaceship that was coming to take them away. they promptly returned the telescope and demanded a refund (like they needed the money) because it was defective. the "defect" was that no matter how carefully they trained it on the Hale-Bopp comet, the telescope could not see the spaceship that they knew was following it. stupid telescope!

cognitive dissonance can be quite strong with people who are highly motivated to pursue an ignorant path.

So, what you're saying is that I should return this mask I bought because I can't see it stopping the COVID.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, quixoft said:

Maybe I'll try again. When I was swimming competitively in college it was very noticeable to me for about 2 weeks after giving blood. We tracked our VO2 max and it would be about 5-15% lower for a couple weeks after giving blood. I probably wouldn't feel it now though as even my hardest rides are cake and nothing compared to swim practice and water polo workouts.

By day 3 you've recovered quite a bit.  by day 14 your hematocrit is almost back to normal.  For me, working on hydrating after donating blood seems to make the biggest difference.  Here are the details (I've read this in multiple places btw):

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/should-endurance-athletes-donate-blood/

If you're competing though, even 2% decrease is significant.  I don't donate a month before a race.

1 hour ago, notyal said:

So, what you're saying is that I should return this mask I bought because I can't see it stopping the COVID.

I that might be  sarcasm, but in case anyone is still confused:

the mask is NOT FOR YOU IT IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Edited by mack_turtle

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

the mask is NOT FOR YOU IT IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

But I haven't seen a single COVID here, so...everyone else should wear a mask, not me. It's my hot body. I'll do what I want. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JMR said:

My son-in-law’s great uncle died this morning. He fell and hit his head at his nursing home. They ruled it a covid death.

Sorry to hear about that. We lost someone in the family yesterday as well, these are trying times.

I hope you are not implying that somehow covid deaths are being over-classified, it is more likely the opposite.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.27.12 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I hope you are not implying that somehow covid deaths are being over-classified, it is more likely the opposite.

It's really sad that people are still trying to minimize this pandemic. Regardless of arguments over the death counts, the stress this is starting to put on our healthcare system locally is not good at all, especially for those of us with loved ones on the front line. Flattening the curve has always meant preventing scenarios like what we saw in NYC, and while we aren't quite there yet, we will be if folks don't adhere to the advice of the real experts.  

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-texas-hospitals-icu-capacity-reddit-post-texas-nurse/269-dde18c27-42c5-4c3e-ae46-01f193017a72

• Like 2

We know of some people in neighborhood who's in their 70s heading down to the coast to vacation with another 3-4 couples and their families. Two the other couples children can't go because they are positive for the rona. I asked what her thought process was about going down there and she said she's in her early 70s with no heath issues, mom and sisters lived until 90s so she thinks she'll be able to just ride it out. I was dumbfounded.

Meanwhile, three of the wife's coworkers are heading down to fucking FLORIDA to vacation with their families next week. 

He was right. I am sick and tired of all this winning.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

My 16 yr old daughter and wife are supposed to be in Munich for the next couple weeks. Obviously not happening. Her camp she has attended since she was 4 yrs old every summer is of course a no go as well. No trip to Fla this year or hell, even the neighborhood pool is off the table. What sucks for her especially is that she gets to see some of her friends posting pics from Florida or some random beach and enjoying life and summertime on vacation. She gets why we arent caving in and letting her go out but still sucks when in her world it seems like "everyone" else is having fun except her. Welcome to Adulting love. Isnt it awesome?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JMR said:

My son-in-law’s great uncle died this morning. He fell and hit his head at his nursing home. They ruled it a covid death.

I’m not really sure where I stand on this since details are vague. However, there seems to be many people on this forum that are on one side of the fence, and not very many on my side. I’m not changing teams. But I appreciate everyone being so open to discussion. I believe covid is a very real thing. I believe SOME people are dying from it. But I also believe the numbers are skewed. I’ve tried to encourage folks to look at this from a different angle. But I keep getting “facts” from MSM thrown in my face, I’m told in various ways that I’m closed minded and a conspiracy theorist. True, I could just move on and let y’all pat each other on the backs and not be bothered with it. But I believe that everything needs checks and balances. There’s at least two sides to every story. I just tend to not follow the herd. The research I’ve done over the years leads me to believe that there are a lot of folks who think like me. Just not here.

rant over. y’all have a great day

• Like 3

There are a lot of bedside interviews of people who said they wished they took it more seriously.

The things we are being asked to do to try to make it safe for everyone are pretty minimal. Seriously.

I have a father who rails on the mainstream media, they never tell the truth. How can trump be losing in the polls when all of my friends think he is doing such a great job??

A lot of this gets tiring. When there were 1,000 cases and people said this is overblown, I got that. When there were 10,000 cases it started looking like maybe they were right. Now we’ve crossed 3,600,000 and we’re taking on more at a (un)healthy clip. At what point does this become real?

Feds are sending in mortuary trucks.

if this is not real enough for you I can’t think of anything else. 

You’ll come around eventually. I’m just tired of trying to convince people. The building is on fire, the ball is in your court, please, just listen to the experts and not the politicians.

• Like 1

Experts?

Experts told us that jet fuel melts steel beams. Experts told us that WTC 7 fell because of impact tremors? Experts told us that a plane flew into the pentagon. Experts told us that hydroxychloroquine wouldn’t work. Experts tell us that there are 3.6 million cases. Experts tell us we need more respirators. Experts “shove a swab into your brain” for a covid test when my cough will kill a family. Experts tell us that cops kill black people for no reason. Experts tell us the protests were peaceful. I’ve got more if you desire...

No one has said this isn’t real. Mortuary trucks? We had mobile hospitals built all over. Had two huge, white ships on each coast to help with the “overrunning the ICU”. Did any of that get used? No. They took down the mobile hospitals and headed home. Why aren’t they scrambling back to save space in the hospitals? 

As I read somewhere before, “it’s easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they’re being fooled. 

3 hours ago, JMR said:

That’s all you got from that?

AustinBike is a kind of I know stuff and you need to see it my way guy. It is what it is. Scripture tells us we know in part, and speak accordingly. There's hay, and then there's sticks... And we all eat a bit of both. I just give thanks that I believe there's a God... And that beyond that, it's a hit or miss kind of crap shoot trying to nail it all down.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:02 PM, JMR said:As I read somewhere before, “it’s easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they’re being fooled. 

... and you appear to be the perfect example. Congrats, I now have two fools on my ignore list.

• Albert locked this topic