IGNORED

27.5+ bikes in Austin

I would think, based on current circumstances a.) people are not really riding trails and b.) lots of people are out of jobs and looking to sell less critical things to stay alive.

I think 27.5 bikes have their place and most of the people I know that swapped to them are happy.

You can't eat a bike...

• Like 1

I am fully committed to running 27.5 x 2.6-2.8. It’s just my kind of setup. I’ve tried and failed going to 29ers. I’m not really good at this sport, so I need all the help I can get and I think the smaller wheels with 2.6-2.8s provides the best ride for what I like. I would run as big as 3.0s if I had adequate tire clearance. 

I've been riding a 27.5+ Stumpjumper for I'd say about 3 years now. I love this bike in a way I've never loved a bike before. Honestly, it has changed the way I look at bikes. At this point of any previous bike relationships, I'd be lusting for something new by now. If I could find a deal on a shiny garage queen in the exact same model, I'd seriously consider it. 

When the mid-fat first hit the scene, I could have sworn they were going to overtake the market. I think a few things got in the way. 

1. They somehow immediately got a "this would be great for a benninger" talking point around them. As if, somehow, only beginners can benefit from suppleness and incredible traction. 
  2. They are heavy. No getting around that.
  3. I feel like there is an upper weight and/or aggressiveness limit where you have to choose between optimal tire pressure and smashing your wheels. I run a hair under 15psi. Much more than that feels like I'm riding an over inflated basketball. Any less and the rim strikes come quick. I don't run CrushCore or anything mainly because I cringe at the thought of putting more rotational weight in there, but it could be key to anyone who is on this bubble. 
  4. They do feel different. Sort of like you are numbing the trail feedback or turning down the volume. 

Anyone running bigger tires on a 29er? I’ve been running 2.3s on 30mm rims but am curious about going up to a 2.5 or 2.6. I’m considering an Assegai up front to replace a worn DHF but don’t want to add too much rotational weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

I am selling my 27.5 here   but only because the space tolerance on my frame was not enough to accommodate them when I wanted to experiment. 

I also discovered I am big fan of Semi Slicks now and not knobby tires. 

I'd take them all from you, but I don't see myself getting up to your neck of the woods anytime soon. 

When I was replacing my last bike, I got into a long discussion with Dave Turner. His thought was if it rolled things easier and made riding even more fun, why not go bigger?

Well, I didn't listen to him. What does he know, he's just a frame builder😁

Went to Outerbike in Moab a year later and realized I needed bigger tires. So I have 2.6s on my 27.5.

27.5+ sure does roll up and down things easier.

25 minutes ago, notyal said:

I'd take them all from you, but I don't see myself getting up to your neck of the woods anytime soon. 

If you do, I promise I am in better shape to ride better this time..

I never go south of the river but lets see, or I can hold em

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

If you do, I promise I am in better shape to ride better this time..

I never go south of the river but lets see, or I can hold em

Ha! I'm probably not. I do want to get up there one day. There is a ton of new stuff at Brushy since last time I've been there. Don't hold them for me if someone else wants them, though. 

5 hours ago, Browndog said:

Anyone running bigger tires on a 29er? I’ve been running 2.3s on 30mm rims but am curious about going up to a 2.5 or 2.6. I’m considering an Assegai up front to replace a worn DHF but don’t want to add too much rotational weight.

Yes. Admittedly not a bike snob, and not all that weight conscious. But I ride hard and ride a lot, and love rolling 29+.

IMG_20200505_205334.thumb.jpg.892412c17c7cef2461a8ca6c98d95ccb.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schoolie said:

Yes. Admittedly not a bike snob, and not all that weight conscious. But I ride hard and ride a lot, and love rolling 29+.

IMG_20200505_205334.thumb.jpg.892412c17c7cef2461a8ca6c98d95ccb.jpg

I'll take the extra weight with stronger sidewalls since we're riding pretty rough terrain in Austin.   I also have 30mm rims and love my 2.5 rear and 2.6 up front.  Much improvement over my previous 2.3 setup.. I'd even go 2.6 in the rear if my frame would support it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Now i want to try it. might need to borrow a wheelset from someone some time to see what all the hype is. my bike is already heavy, so I might hate that.

My guess is that a lot also depends on the geometry of the frame. You can run 27.5" on any 29" bike, but to get the full benefit you probably need to have a 27.5" geometry frame as well. Otherwise you are only getting half of the experience in my mind. 

15 hours ago, Browndog said:

Running 2.5's on my 29 30mm wheels. DHF up front and Aggressor on back. I really like the Aggressor and would actually consider one on the front.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Browndog said:

FWIW, unless you live in desert west with gravity trails, I wouldn't run an assegai. The DHF rolls much faster and the speed & terrain you need for the assegai to shine is few and far between here.  We were just in NWA and watched that tire get pretty packed with just a little moisture compared to the DHF.

30mm is perfect for 2.5 tires. Im running 2.5 DHF WT on that width rim and it actually measures out to 2.5. The 2.3s also seem to run narrow. As others have said, the aggressor is a good choice for a rear tire and maxxis is just hard to beat overall.

27+

If you can get it to work for you, great. It didn't really take off because either the tires were too heavy and rolled slow, or they were lighter but got torn up too easily. Factor in the lower pressure needed to get the most out of them and the challenges that creates for suspension tuning and it was more trouble than it was worth for most. As i recall i saw around 5% of santa cruz bikes sold were plus optioned.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Browndog said:

I rented a stumpy last year w/ 29x2.6 tires and it felt like cheating.  It rolled over everything so easily.  Thinking about doing something similar with my next bike.  Running 27.5x2.6 now.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

FWIW, unless you live in desert west with gravity trails, I wouldn't run an assegai. The DHF rolls much faster and the speed & terrain you need for the assegai to shine is few and far between here.  We were just in NWA and watched that tire get pretty packed with just a little moisture compared to the DHF.

Good to know, getting a new front tire and was on the fence on the 2.5WT Assegai over the tried and true DHF.  Everyone seems to say the Assegai corners better. The DHF's side knobs dig in perfectly. I am sure the Assegai corners a little better with the transition knobs, but the speed to grip ratio of the DHF is hard to beat. Confirmation bias seals the deal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chief said:

Running 2.5's on my 29 30mm wheels. DHF up front and Aggressor on back. I really like the Aggressor and would actually consider one on the front.

I have the Aggressor up front on my 27.5 , Running RR out back. Great hook ups

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Have run the Minion SS on the back which is similar to the RR and love them. Super fast and fun to slide around. Semi slicks also grip on climbs better than you'd think. Aggressor is interesting, only hear really good reviews of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

Had a 27.5 x 2.5 minion SS on the back of my 180mm bike for one ride out at slaughter creek of all places. Surprised how well it rolled and climbed considering it was a micro-blocked, wire bead,  DH cased monstrosity. Switched to 2.6 DHR2 since I have no real plans on pedaling that pig much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockshins said:

Have run the Minion SS on the back which is similar to the RR and love them. Super fast and fun to slide around. Semi slicks also grip on climbs better than you'd think. Aggressor is interesting, only hear really good reviews of them.

I was curious about the Minion SS , Seems like the Rock Razor is pretty popular now and I am not dropping $90 on that