IGNORED

Magura 2-Piston Rear 4-Piston Front Combination

Does anyone use the Magura mt trail brakes with a 2-piston rear and 4-piston front caliper, and if so, do you like them?

I just ordered a set of the carbon version online but I’m thinking of cancelling, as after making a rash purchase decision based on sale price, it looks like the lever might be a little flimsy/plastic feeling, and they might be a pain to set-up well?

To help with my decision making crisis, do I stick with the order or get a set of Hope E4s instead?

If it matters, I tend to be in the 200lb-215lb range, and the brakes would be going on a 150/160mm travel bike I’m building to start riding more of the local trails I have been avoiding on my old 100mm travel xc bike.

I almost bought a set when they went on sale but heard they were a pain in the ass to bleed. 

I've seen a few people buying xt 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears. If you run brakes with different pistons, make sure to keep same size rotors front and rear.

FWIW, of all the brakes I've owned , and I've owned a lot. The Shimano Zee have been my favorites.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Thanks 1

I run Shimano XT brakes with a 4 piston front caliper and a 2 piston rear caliper and really like it. I am a bigger guy and they offer plenty of braking power, 203mm rotors for the win. 

+1 on the Shimano Zee's, huge power at a good price, some people think they are too powerful, but not for larger riders. My last bike had them, would easily go back to them.

Having ridden Maguras, they are great brakes with plenty of power, bleed process looks a lot tougher than Shimanos though, if that is something you are concerned about.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! The brake bleeding/ set up did put me off and I cancelled. There are some decent sales on Zees at the moment, or there would be if they were in stock. I am fairly biased towards Hope though- my current bike has a set of M4s I’ve had since 2005 and I like the look of the E4s- guess I’ll see what I can find the best deal on.

8 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

Thanks guys! The brake bleeding/ set up did put me off and I cancelled. There are some decent sales on Zees at the moment, or there would be if they were in stock. I am fairly biased towards Hope though- my current bike has a set of M4s I’ve had since 2005 and I like the look of the E4s- guess I’ll see what I can find the best deal on.

Yep, the bleeding thing was  dealbreaker for me. I've had so many shimano brakes and have all the tools/fluids/parts, i just refuse to change brands at this point. Same with rockshox forks and shocks.

My 2c would be to try and find a good deal on some M7000 SLX brakes and run them with shimano 203mm F&R and metallic pads. Those and the zee, were the only ones that were more like the old school shimano 785s and 675s that were so reliable. Zee is good if youre planning on doing extended descents (not here), otherwise the 7000s will be more than enough for CTX, especially with 203s and they have good feedback/modulation to boot. FWIW, I'm 200# kitted and ride like im falling down stairs.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/shimano-slx-m7100-front-and-rear-disc-brake-set-179619.html

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

HHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😛

Sorry, I'm a hope fan. Tech X2's on my previous bike, and Tech3 E4's on my Ripmo (180 floating rotors)

Plenty of power, but it's all about modulation. Easy to set up, easy to bleed, easy to completely strip down to the bare parts if you so desire. Broke something and need a spare part? I can still order ANY part of my Tech levers or X2 calipers. I bought the X2's back in 2009? They still perform flawlessly and are only on their second set of pads. Their pads last FOREVER. The finish quality is superb, they are like pieces of jewelry. The lever feel is perfect. The pad contact point is ALWAYS the same. I can dial in both levers to have the same feel and they stay that way. There's no mushiness, no mystery about the engagement point, no "grabby" feeling like Shimano's. The power builds smoothly and consistently, and they're so easy to feather and trim only as much speed as you need. I LOVE them. <insert Ferris Bueller "choice" quote>

...that is all.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

HHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, you're not wrong with ANY of your description.  The only downside is possibly the price.  I'm running a set on my bike that are from 2011 and have been through 513 miles of CO Trail Race.  They are only on their 3rd set of pads (changed this summer) and have never needed a bleed.  Hope FTW.

PS- and I've owned and run Shimano also.  I regularly refer riders to Shimano due to overall value and quality.  They are a quality brake for sure...especially when compared to the rest of the crap thats out there (looking at you, ALL of SRAM!).  But the Shimano's had no where near the modulation that Hope has, its not even close.

Later,
CJB

PSS- queue @AntonioGG  the Hope mafia has revealed itself, your up. 😉 

Edited by CBaron

Im a big fan of Magura. I had the fancy SL's on my Scott Spark I recently sold. Kickass brake feel and I never had any bleed issues. My new Giant Trance has Sram which I cant get used to, so I'll be swapping soon.

I am a huge fan of Shimano and have them on all of my bikes. The fact that the bleed is so brain dead easy was the biggest winner for me. Saying that any shop can easily do it is not a benefit because that means I need to take it to the shop. My Shimanos have been rock solid, and on the few times that I take a bike off the wall for a ride and find a squishy brake, I can take care of it right there on the spot and still make it to the trailhead on time for the ride. This is a convenience that cannot be overstated in my mind.

• Like 1

I run Magura brakes on all but one of my bikes (Mach 429 bought long ago with Hope brakes). I have been very happy with my Magura brakes - MT-2, MT-4, MT-5 and MT-7. great feel, power and modulation.

I have had about the same amount of trouble with all of the Magura as I have had with the one set of Hopes (seal failures). My only complaint about the Magura is you cannot get parts to rebuild them. I guess they don't want anybody going into their hydraulics to replace seals / O-rings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CBaron said:

Yep, you're not wrong with ANY of your description.  The only downside is possibly the price.  I'm running a set on my bike that are from 2011 and have been through 513 miles of CO Trail Race.  They are only on their 3rd set of pads (changed this summer) and have never needed a bleed.  Hope FTW.

PS- and I've owned and run Shimano also.  I regularly refer riders to Shimano due to overall value and quality.  They are a quality brake for sure...especially when compared to the rest of the crap thats out there (looking at you, ALL of SRAM!).  But the Shimano's had no where near the modulation that Hope has, its not even close.

Later,
CJB

PSS- queue @AntonioGG  the Hope mafia has revealed itself, your up. 😉 

Yep, Hopes rule.  I ride XC Hope brakes since 2010.  I have them on 2 bikes. I never have to touch them.  The only time I had to do a brake bleed was when I had to replace a cable, and that is way easier than Shimano (and definitely way better than the SRAM level bleed).  There are no special tools needed.  Sure, you need the DOT5.1 fluid but I haven't found that to be a problem for me.

The Hope peer pressure group has me pretty close to caving in. Brakes will be paired with Hope Pro 4 hubs too, so it would all be very matchy matchy (yes, Teamsloan gets to reference Ferris Bueller, and I reference Peter f*cking Rabbit, which should give everyone a glimpse into what my life has become). Might still be swayed by Zees though if they come back in stock at the best sale price I can see.

For anyone who has ordered online from the UK, have you had any customs fees for deliveries? A couple of sites have a warning for international deliveries.

• Like 1

I usually don't push 'my setup' much on people.  Most of the time you'd have to ASK ME what I think.  There's just too many opinions, reviews and personal-tastes for me to feel like I need to cloud the waters further with my view(s).  But I will say that when I owned the shop, we put more Hope brakes on bikes that any other shop in TX.  It was the one product that I actually pushed onto people a little bit (see Teamsloan and AnotnioGG).  Out of literally hundreds of installs we only really had a handful (1/2 dozen?) of issues.  I think CXAgent may have been one of them with his seals remark....I know George Dawkins had the same thing at one time too.  But I can almost recall from memory the few times they weren't near perfect.  Go back and read the description from @Teamsloan he's very accurate with it.  As for myself, the biggest thing that I noticed when I first ran them was modulation.  They're not a brake to STOP you....they are a device for CONTROLLING wheel rotation.  Thus when applying brake pressure you can easily adjust to the point of max braking without skidding (or endo) in our tech riding environments.  It also means that you don't have to over-size your rotors (which negates ease of modulation).  It was the first time I truly understood the old adage of "good brakes make you go faster".  Now FWIW, this was almost 10 yrs ago now and I'm still riding models from 2011.  

Later,
CJB

PS-  oh and the only other brand/product that I would push onto people where Swiftwick socks.  They. Are. The. Best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

For anyone who has ordered online from the UK, have you had any customs fees for deliveries? A couple of sites have a warning for international deliveries.

Order from the UK all the time, never had a single customs fee or issue. Just give yourself an extra week on what they tell you just to set the right expectation. Especially these days.

8 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

The Hope peer pressure group has me pretty close to caving in. Brakes will be paired with Hope Pro 4 hubs too, so it would all be very matchy matchy (yes, Teamsloan gets to reference Ferris Bueller, and I reference Peter f*cking Rabbit, which should give everyone a glimpse into what my life has become). Might still be swayed by Zees though if they come back in stock at the best sale price I can see.

I buy regularly from chain reaction and have never had any extra fees.

9 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I did pay $160 to customs for my commencal frame from canada. was not pleased

Yeah that would be pretty upsetting as a surprise fee- sorry. Still, assuming that’s the same commencal I think you’ve posted on here a while back- looks like a nice bike!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input everyone- I went with Hope Tech 3 E4s in the end. Partly because I’m a disgusting Brit and I like supporting English companies when they make decent stuff.

Sounds like hidden fees are unlikely, plus the brakes will come set up moto style/front right rear left, like they should be, straight out of the box. Guessing I’ll probably have to alter the hose length anyway, but if there’s a chance it’ll save me any effort, I’ll take it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cxagent said:

I thought I was the only person who runs their brakes "moto style". 

I rented a bike in India that came moto style.  I rode it on the road so it wasn't hard to get used to it, but I wondered about how hard it would be if I went off-roading like that.