IGNORED

What ya cookin'? Share your thoughts on food at home!

AustinBike

8 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

So my 16 y/o decides she wants to impress me by making ratatouille for meatless Monday. 

Mission accomplished 😎

IMG_20200803_175833866.jpg

That IS impressive.  I can't even imagine cutting all those vegetables that thin and then trying to keep the pattern when putting together.  "Red pepper, zucchini, green pepper, potato, squash, red pepper, zucchini, potato, green pepper.....DAMN!  Start over!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

That IS impressive.  I can't even imagine cutting all those vegetables that thin and then trying to keep the pattern when putting together.  "Red pepper, zucchini, green pepper, potato, squash, red pepper, zucchini, potato, green pepper.....DAMN!  Start over!"

Thanks man! She's a bit ambitious but also a good kid. TBH, she had a slicer but she also managed to take the very tip of her thumb off in the process😬.

A little liquid bandage and encouragement and she was G2G.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I forgot who on here sparked the idea but last weekend we did our third family cook day. Idea is that each of us draws for a meal. BF. Lunch. Dinner and desert.
The kids both have really stepped up. They have to find what they want to cook. How it might be done. Obtain ingredients (us) And then cook it. Serve it and clean the mess up. My wife has Celiac disease so of course everything has to fit her needs.
We are only allowed to advise and not help them.
Been fun and a lot of laughs and learning. They have always cooked but this is above the normal stuff.

My girl did from scratch Ravioli
And also did a CreamPuff pastry with a cinnamon custard with fruit.

a5df6e4e78a3f7103c71c0fb67ea238f.jpg10aa8cf9c1797fee32eb6700710f1edc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I forgot who on here sparked the idea but last weekend we did our third family cook day. Idea is that each of us draws for a meal. BF. Lunch. Dinner and desert.
The kids both have really stepped up. They have to find what they want to cook. How it might be done. Obtain ingredients (us) And then cook it. Serve it and clean the mess up. My wife has Celiac disease so of course everything has to fit her needs.
We are only allowed to advise and not help them.
Been fun and a lot of laughs and learning. They have always cooked but this is above the normal stuff.

My girl did from scratch Ravioli
And also did a CreamPuff pastry with a cinnamon custard with fruit.

a5df6e4e78a3f7103c71c0fb67ea238f.jpg10aa8cf9c1797fee32eb6700710f1edc.jpg

This is awesome!

You can't go wrong when you teach your kids to cook at an early age. It's been a big help to get our youngest out of her pattern of not wanting to eat or try anything "different" or "weird". Now she cooks stuff that pushers her comfort zone. Keep em' coming.

7 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

This is awesome!

You can't go wrong when you teach your kids to cook at an early age. It's been a big help to get our youngest out of her pattern of not wanting to eat or try anything "different" or "weird". Now she cooks stuff that pushers her comfort zone. Keep em' coming.

Kids excel when they have awesome people for parents!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

What exactly is the marinade?

i do alot of skirt steaks and bounce between 3 different ones , Open to more

It was cherry juice, EVOO, fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper just before it goes on a screaming hot grill. It's pretty sweet, but not too much for the rich, fatty skirt. Caramelizes up nicely too. 

We do a ton of skirt and flank steaks too. Anything that slices up like that i've been preferring over the old hunk of ribeye/ny strip/etc. What are your favorite recipes?

Edited by notyal
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, notyal said:

It was cherry juice, EVOO, fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper just before it goes on a screaming hot grill. It's pretty sweet, but not too much for the rich, fatty skirt. Caramelizes up nicely too. 

We do a ton of skirt and flank steaks too. Anything that slices up like that i've been preferring over the old hunk of ribeye/ny strip/etc. What are your favorite recipes?

I was eating some pretty damn good chicken fajitas while reading this and suddenly they didn't seem nearly as good. 😞

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll try some variation of that.
I have 2 goto wet marinades.
One I use mainly on chicken or pork but does work on flank..
it is Goya MOJO. I don't do anything but soak for days. Yes its store bought and looks like sewage but holy shit its good after a wicked long soak.

The other wet is one that I do some variation of.
But Soy Sauce, marin if I have. Splash of Worcheschire. Brown Sugar. Cayenne. Cumin. Garlic.
Sometimes l add ginger, fresh and grated. Ill soak the meat for about 24 to 48 hours. Flipping around.

My dry is sea salt and pepper. Cumin. Garlic. Brown sugar. Cayenne. Smoked paprika.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Cafeend said:

How was it? Not the food but the process. In my head it is a line of cars.

Order on the website, they give you a time slot. I believe you must have an order online, you can't just pull up.

Pulled up, there was a pop up awning with a masked girl and a walkie talkie. She took my ticket # and told me which spot to sit in with my trunk open. It took longer than most places but a guy dropped BBQ in my trunk and then I left. Basically ~15-18 minutes total time, way better than the old lines.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, AustinBike said:

Some times you have to just order out. Hadn't been to Mangia in years, since they canned the central location which was in my neighborhood.

Yeah, not true Chicago pizza but ~95% of the way there:

Not one of their deep dish pies, but The Green Pig is pretty dang good:

image.png.8c041761d1d460c59fb99fa83d4117fc.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...