IGNORED

What ya cookin'? Share your thoughts on food at home!

AustinBike

8 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm making Anthony Bourdain's Boef Bourguignon's recipe.  Has anyone else tried to make it?  I find it's taking way longer to cook than expected. It's OK though b/c as recommended the plan is to put it in the fridge when done and reheat tomorrow.

My wife makes a beef bourguignon pot pie that gives you a heart attack just looking at it. It's delicious but it takes her a good part of the day to make it. It's amazing how slow cooking can make a crappy piece of meat so tasty and tender.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Did not cook this at home but today is our last day in Santa Fe.

We went to the Brakeroom, which is a taproom for Santa Fe Brewing, right down the street from us.

Had several of the 7K IPAs and then went all in on the food truck. This is the Bite Burger and the Green Chile Cheese fries with Bacon.

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.4f20033444c0b86b2e9bf9af752d7db7.jpeg

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.e07f1080ed794ce1c92a812c707ba6cd.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Did not cook this at home but today is our last day in Santa Fe.

We went to the Brakeroom, which is a taproom for Santa Fe Brewing, right down the street from us.

Had several of the 7K IPAs and then went all in on the food truck. This is the Bite Burger and the Green Chile Cheese fries with Bacon.

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.4f20033444c0b86b2e9bf9af752d7db7.jpeg

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.e07f1080ed794ce1c92a812c707ba6cd.jpeg

That looks like a perfect way to celebrate your last day in New Mexico. Safe travels home, amigo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, AntonioGG said:

What's considered a Belgian waffle maker? Are those the ones with the very shallow pockets like for Stroopwafels?  I have one that's round with the big pockets.  Nothing like the old square traditional one.  My favorite batter is simple in ingredients but I beat the egg whites separately, mix the dry stuff, the wet stuff (other than the whites), then fold in the whites very carefully.

I've tried the chicken and waffles.  It's not my thing.  But I have made a ham and cheese sandwich out of waffles.

One thing I've always wanted to try to make is crepes.

I have a non stick crepe wand that you dip in a batter pan and it is super easy to make perfect crepes.

When I make a faster waffle I make it just like you do, lightening the batter with egg whites.  The overnight waffles that @Barryis referring to is yeast batter risen over night.  They are malty, light and crisp.  The waffle maker is a dual sided monster with deep pockets that a family of 4 needed to have a reasonable amount of waffles in short order. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They made squirrel gumbo or stew opening day of the hunting season at our hunting camp every year. They taste ok, just a PITA to clean and a lot of bone for the amount of meat you get from one. One of my dad's favorite things was squirrel brains.  🤢 Good to freak out the city relatives when they open the lid and see something staring back at them. 😉 

• Sad 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Chongo Loco said:

Go over to Stuffed on 620 and get some of their andouille. Whole pork smoked sausage vs the ground stuff at H-E-B makes a world of difference. You can also smoke the chicken, duck, whatever a bit before boiling. My fav is with a couple of swamp rabbits or wild duck  🐰🦆

I did it the easy way: packaged andouille sausage, a rotisserie chicken from the hot rack, and frozen, peeled shrimp. Fresh veggies, though, and handmade roux.  Used canola oil for the roux, but now want to try with butter and then again with bacon fat. Smoked chicken sounds good, though I'd have to find it somewhere cooked, as I have neither tools nor skills to do it myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Anyone watch Kitchen Queens New Orleans?  I just watched them make Creole gumbo and they added something I’d never heard of before:  filé.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filé_powder

File’ is usually included in most traditional rural gumbos. It’s more Cajun than Creole. Creoles (usually kitchen help in urban areas) use okra vs file’ as the thickening agent. The Cajuns learned about it from the Choctaw I think. It’s just dried and pulverized sassafras leaves. In my family it’s added to your bowl as you serve so the flavor is stronger. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I read that it is commonly used during okra off-season.  I need to try it.

Almost none of that wiki is correct. Roux is the base for ALL gumbo. Both okra and file’ are available year round since refrigeration so now it’s just a preference. My dad used both in his gumbo but I hate the slimy consistency of okra.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, AustinBike said:

Some times you have to just order out. Hadn't been to Mangia in years, since they canned the central location which was in my neighborhood.

Yeah, not true Chicago pizza but ~95% of the way there:

Now that Mangia is totally out of business, I need your opinion on Love 312. Is this the cornbread crust "pizza" casserole of your dreams? 

https://love312pizza.com/

• 6 months later...