IGNORED

Strava Changes...

Between recording (650 hours+) and just looking at my rides and other folks rides (guessing up to 3 hours a week), I'm using Strava for up to 800 hours per year. So yeah, it's time for those folks to get paid. And now for me it's only $0.075 per hour. 

• Like 3

They had a good marketing pitch “for the cost of a couple energy bars per month...”

However, I get 95% of what I need from garmin for free because I use a garmin, so if the free version ever goes away I would just stick with garmin. Don’t really care much about what people think of my riding, for me it is just a place to hold data.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Don’t really care much about what people think of my riding, for me it is just a place to hold data.

I don't care either, and I think for what like Strava (PRs on segments) it will not affect me. 

However, I wonder about the leaderboards.  I couldn't find the details.  Will non-subscribers go on the leaderboard, but not be able to see the leaderboard?  Or will only paid subscribers only go on the leaderboard?

I'm selfishly opposed. I do what I can to minimize subscriptions, especially to things I use sparingly. I avoid them even more when the slowly erode free features and constantly remind me I could pay to be annoyed less by their own ads. I created a new email account to take advantage of a 6-month free Spotify offer that was sent to me but was only for new users. 

Free Strava/ Free Fitbit aren't too bad yet. I think the features I'll miss on Strava Free are the the comparisons on matched runs and rides (new for rides). When prepping for my 1/2 marathon I really liked that feature and wanted it on rides. 

• Like 2

I'm selfishly opposed. I do what I can to minimize subscriptions, especially to things I use sparingly. I avoid them even more when the slowly erode free features and constantly remind me I could pay to be annoyed less by their own ads. I created a new email account to take advantage of a 6-month free Spotify offer that was sent to me but was only for new users. 
Free Strava/ Free Fitbit aren't too bad yet. I think the features I'll miss on Strava Free are the the comparisons on matched runs and rides (new for rides). When prepping for my 1/2 marathon I really liked that feature and wanted it on rides. 

I agree. Taking features away from the free app kinda pisses me off. I don’t want another subscription. I’d rather start seeing ads from Jenson and Shimano on my feed if they are looking to increase revenue.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, notyal said:

I’d rather start seeing ads from Jenson and Shimano on my feed if they are looking to increase revenue.

Actually yeah, that wouldn't be so bad and I'm usually opposed to targeted advertising but that seems better somehow.

Edited by RedRider3141

23 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

you mean I have to pay them to tell me how much I suck now? lame! I can get that info for free because it's obvious.

Yeah. Lots of people voluntarily tell me how much I suck and I don't pay them a penny.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:44 PM, Barry said:

Between recording (650 hours+) and just looking at my rides and other folks rides (guessing up to 3 hours a week), I'm using Strava for up to 800 hours per year. So yeah, it's time for those folks to get paid. And now for me it's only $0.075 per hour. 

This is how I feel. It's not expensive and if you like it and use it frequently,  is it really that big of a deal to compensate the people that are giving you something you enjoy?

Free stuff is great and all but in the end people have bills to pay and they cannot do that if they aren't compensated for their work. 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 4

To say they "aren't compensated" is the miscalculation of the month. 

They get your data.

They sell your data.

They make money off of every single person, regardless of their subscription.

The real question is whether your data = equal to free subscription. At this point my answer is yes. I would also be open to consider a model where I pay the $5 monthly fee and they keep my data private.

I just don't want a model where I pay per month AND they get to sell my data. Not enough transparency as to whether or not I am being taken advantage of. In all honesty I have my rides dumping into Strava, but they are all in Garmin. Since I don't really use all of the social stuff, if Strava went away I would not care much.

• Like 2

Decided to get membership.  Can confirm that I am paying Strava to tell me how much I suck.  It's super low key tho.  After a 3.5 hours trail ride that I was dead after, Strava was like, good job managing your efforts.   Today Strava recommended that I ride more than 13 hours this week.   

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Since I don't really use all of the social stuff, if Strava went away I would not care much.

If Strava went away - I would do a dance for joy. No longer having to defend people riding "unsanctioned" trails. No longer having to deal with people who lack the skills  finding and trying to ride trails they have no business on. Etc. Etc Etc.

I talked to the Strava folks  many years ago telling them they would get many of the best trails shut down. (The best trails are not public knowledge.) But since they were really a "road app", they didn't recognize what "unsanctioned trails" meant.

If you like Strava and use Strava - you should pay for Strava. And you should pay for the trails you ride too. Or stay on the road. After all, the roads you ride you paid for with taxes. The trails your ride? Somebody paid for those with labor and sweat. Maybe you should pay something too.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:03 AM, AustinBike said:

There is no need to do the trial. If all you are doing is tracking your total mileage you can continue to do that with the free account.

That's all I am doing now after the change. Previously I was gauging personal progress against my previous runs/bikes on specific segments. Now I can't without paying.