IGNORED

St. George, UT Riding - Seeking Recommendations

GreenMTBrider

Some good info in this thread to start:

How many days riding? It may be getting really hot, you may want to go further up in elevation (like Cedar City or so) unless you are specifically tied to St George. There is some excellent riding there though. Food/beverage options not so much.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GFisher said:

How many days riding? It may be getting really hot, you may want to go further up in elevation (like Cedar City or so) unless you are specifically tied to St George. There is some excellent riding there though. Food/beverage options not so much.

That's my old hood and can agree Cedar leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to food/entertainment. ST George isn't bad though. It gets hot AF when you're exposed and theres lots of exposure. Used to go to Moab in july and it was brutal. Been snowed on in may though😮

My buddy's video riding Salt on the rim in Virgin. Long and some cursing so you've been warned

7 hours ago, GFisher said:

I'll be there for 5 days. Nope, not specifically tied to St. George, so I may head to Cedar City as well  especially if it's hot in UT. 

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out the thread and the video posted by ATXZJ! 

Oh @Barry there was that pizza place.  That place was so nice and so chilly in January.

I imagine on a sunny day Gooseberry Mesa gets really hot with all of that Mesa thermal mass. 

Barry can prolly elaborate more, the drive through AZ was transcendent.    

On 5/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, GreenMTBrider said:

Has anyone on here hit any of the mtb trails in St. George? If so, what do you recommend? I'll be heading that way the last weekend of May. 

So I guess everyone is on their own for Brushy conditions???!!

The weather looks amazing this weekend...unfortunately it looks brutal next weeked, so keep that in mind. And yeah, Goosberry Mesa is the only place we've ridden, but it is absolutely spectacular. Think the best Reveille Peak has to offer, but even better. I've also heard amazing things about Hurricane Rim, but we only had one day so we didn't get there. Honestly I'm sure everything in the area is awesome. You can't go wrong just using ProjectMTB or Trailforks. 

Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the pizza joint!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jessica said:

Oh @Barry there was that pizza place.  That place was so nice and so chilly in January.

I imagine on a sunny day Gooseberry Mesa gets really hot with all of that Mesa thermal mass. 

Barry can prolly elaborate more, the drive through AZ was transcendent.    

Probably thinking of Pizza Factory? So this isn't my first rodeo in St. George. I've been there a couple of times, once for the Southern Utah Half Marathon and the other for a climbing trip. I just haven't had a chance to actually bring my bike along. 

My plan so far is to check out most of the major trails in the area (Bearclaw Poppy, Gooseberry, etc.) early in the morning when its in the 60s. I did a long motorcycle ride through Arizona last year when it was 100+. Crazy how fast I went through water. If all else fails I'll head to Cedar City. I'll let you guys know how it goes! 

Haha and yes you're on your own for Brushy conditions. Bunch of slackers! 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jessica said:

the drive through AZ was transcendent

Indeed. We drove to Cottonwood/Sedona the last day of Feb and returned a week later, taking the southern route on  I 10.    AZ is amazing with little mountain ranges everywhere. To live there would be to explore every weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...