IGNORED

Ripmo, ripley, or offering?

I sold my tallboy LTc so now im looking for a new bike. I mainly ride my turner czar and the 100mm bottoms out a lot. I feel like 120mm is perfect, but might be too close to the czar.

I love dw-link as i hate pedal bob when climbing. I dont enjoy downhills as much as I enjoy a tough climb. The tallboy was great as I was bombing sketchy greenbelt downhills right away. I rarely bottomed out the 135mm, but I also dont do large drops.  It was also at 28 pounds even with a 2x in front. I was prepping to take the front derailleur off which would have made it 27.

I think Im sticking to dw inspired suspensions as whenever someone says such and such a platform is great (eg fsr, vpp, vpp2) they always have too much pedal bob for me. Giant maestro (copied dw-link) is also good.

I mainly ride four corners, cat (but not the big drops), and sometimes brushy.

Im going to rent the ripley first, then the ripmo.  I think the evil is prob out as Ive read the suspension isnt as firm as the ripley/ripmo.

I have ridden pivots before and for some reason I always feel like Im slogging through mud while riding them, so they are out even though they technically should be a good fit.

if you're planning on keeping the czar, go with the ripmo, that way you have a big bike and an xc bike. pretty awesome combo.

i have never ridden an evil, so i can't help on that front. for some reason i didn't love the 429 trail (i was expecting to). but the mach 5.5 is a super fun bike (not 29er)

20 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

if you're planning on keeping the czar, go with the ripmo, that way you have a big bike and an xc bike. pretty awesome combo.

i have never ridden an evil, so i can't help on that front. for some reason i didn't love the 429 trail (i was expecting to). but the mach 5.5 is a super fun bike (not 29er)

I ended up getting the ripmo. Cycle progression didnt have any rentals so Im just going to wing it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyt said:

I ended up getting the ripmo. Cycle progression didnt have any rentals so Im just going to wing it.

I love mine. I got the v1. It climbs so freaking well for a 145mm bike, it makes it kind of fun. Now they squeezed 2 more mm out of the rear end without sacrificing the climability. Also, they fixed the one complaint I had with the v1. The routing for the dropper cable house now is completely internal, on mine it exits the frame on the downtube and re-enters the seat tube. The frame has internal cable tunnels so it shouldn't make it any harder to route. Building this frame up was wonderful. BSA BB shell, ZS headset, and simple cable routing. You're gonna love it.

I've ridden 4C a few times on it now and I am definitely the weak link in the equation. The bike wants to get to the top and then blazes down too quickly for my reflexes on the way down. I have to reign her in, but that's because of me. BCGB is this bikes happy place though. Which is good because it's my happy place too. My first demo was bombing the HOL which was awesome, but it sold me when I turned around and climbed back up in to Ed's Bowl.

Are you building up the bike, or did you go with a pre-built? Either way it's definitely a rainmaker...so thanks for that.

FYI...I demoed an Evil Following at Outerbike Bentonville and it changed the way I looked at Evil Bikes. I always thought they were kind of an enduro-bro, park oriented brand. While the Following didn't climb as well as the Ripmo or Revel Rascal, I was impressed with how well it rode. It definitely favors going down more than up though.

I pretty much always build up my bikes. Cant stand to pay 6-7K for a bike (or 4K for lower spec parts). Im currently working on an I9 wheelset w/chinese carbon hoops. Have a 1x11 drivetrain ready to go and internal dropper post. I ended up buying a used lyrik for $350.

Also going to put a works 1 degree angleset on. People say that is close to the geo of the V2. 

I definitely want total confidence climbing and am willing to give up plushness on the downs. The ripmo is supposed to be a better climber than the evil. 

Went to rent a ripley from cycle progression, but they were all rented out, then saw the deal on the V1 ripmo so pulled the trigger.

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you pulled the trigger on a v2. A lot of people have apparently liked the result of the angle set. I didn’t go that route with mine and I think it’s fine.

My build list is linked in my sigline, but I’m loving the i9 hubs. I have considered getting them relaced to some Chinese carbon hoops. I’ll have to edit my parts list as things change.

The reviews I read describe the ripmo out climbing the ripely on techy climbs, while the Ripely shines on long fire road type ascents. I’m really interested to see how much lighter the bike can get and how much lightweight wheels will help it. Mine’s right around 30lbs. Either way, I really think you’ll be pleased.

Post up pics when you can. I haven’t seen very many others around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1