IGNORED

Oval Chain Rings

12 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Make sure you guys name drop my name with AB so I can get my discount. 

Can you name drop for me, get them to swap out this 30 tooth for a 32? Turns out the "fits any 104 BCD crank", that's not actually true. Multiple conversations with them today,  they told me I had to turn it to the inside/middle ring position but then it offsets such that it hits my frame so then I have to add a bottom bracket spacer so it doesn't. I don't really want to run a 32, but I guess I have no choice.

It's been spun in the stand but not ridden. but clearly shows signs of being installed and uninstalled and reinstalled. Don't feel like dropping that mess on the lbs when it was AB who clearly said it fits 104 cranks.

7 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

...they told me I had to turn it to the inside/middle ring position but then it offsets such that it hits my frame so then I have to add a bottom bracket spacer so it doesn't.

I don't think you want to add and spacers to your BB. What's the current arrangement of spacers, if any? Can you move one from the left to the right?

Alternative is to file some notches off your spider, if that's the offending part that is contacting the chain, or add some thin spacers to the chainring.

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't think you want to add and spacers to your BB. What's the current arrangement of spacers, if any? Can you move one from the left to the right?

Alternative is to file some notches off your spider, if that's the offending part that is contacting the chain, or add some thin spacers to the chainring.

Nothing to file. I've got a 73mm shell, so single drive side spacer. They suggested using a second. That gives it clearance, but binds up the crank set when tightened.

received_2662392760720051.jpeg

If they won't let you return/exchange it, I may be interested in purchasing if I can get it to work. I have a 32T AB on my Shimano M8000 cranks but a cheap eBay Deckas Oval on my 104BCD cranks that isn't as effective. I was debating between a 30-32 AB Oval. I've also ran a 30T round on them so I don't know why it wouldn't work on my cranks. 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:18 AM, RedRider3141 said:

If they won't let you return/exchange it, I may be interested in purchasing if I can get it to work. I have a 32T AB on my Shimano M8000 cranks but a cheap eBay Deckas Oval on my 104BCD cranks that isn't as effective. I was debating between a 30-32 AB Oval. I've also ran a 30T round on them so I don't know why it wouldn't work on my cranks. 

I'm sure I could get them to do an exchange, but after they got hit over the weekend, I am not going to mess with it. If these will work for you, we can work something out. The issue I have is with a 73mm BB, my chainstays then come out so much so quick that 30t hits the chainstay. When mounted on my M770 cranks, the 30t lines up almost dead center between where the middle and inside ring would be. Since the inside could normally only take a 26t, the oval 30T is just a touch to big. If this was a 68mm BB I could move spacers as everything clears with 2 spacers on the drive side, but the BB binds up. 

I'm around all week to meet and hand off the ring for you to try.

Well, I got the 30t Oval to work on my SS. It's a strange bike and I was able to adjust the BB shell over a tiny bit, plus found a half thickness BB spacer in the tool box. 

I also moved the ebay rainbow 32t ring to a different crankset and in doing so noticed it already has some pretty significant wear marks from just one ride. So lesson learned, these cheap rings cannot handle the torque of SS riding. I'll start looking for a good deal on a 104BCD 32T AB ring. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Well, I got the 30t Oval to work on my SS. It's a strange bike and I was able to adjust the BB shell over a tiny bit, plus found a half thickness BB spacer in the tool box. 

I also moved the ebay rainbow 32t ring to a different crankset and in doing so noticed it already has some pretty significant wear marks from just one ride. So lesson learned, these cheap rings cannot handle the torque of SS riding. I'll start looking for a good deal on a 104BCD 32T AB ring. 

I'd look into a Wolftooth. More durable than an AB. I know because I wore out an AB in one season. JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the exception of spectacular performance, I'm otherwise pretty annoyed at AB. They've been promising a GRX compatible ring for over a year now. I've harassed them pretty extensively over email and on social media. They keep over promising and not at all delivering. "It's coming soon!," they keep saying.  Both Gabaruk (damn that looks fragile!) and WT have one, so I need to just get one of those. 

Just now, Shinerider said:

I have a cheap amazon oval on the SS gravel bike.  Can't tell the difference between that and a round ring.  Strange.

I just moved my cheap eBay ring to a crank set with a power meter. Will see if there is much difference on some of the hills on my ride to the ride route. Will report back.

The feeling is subtle though, I had it initially clocked wrong my 90* and I could certainly tell then.

Just now, Mattlikesbikes said:

I just moved my cheap eBay ring to a crank set with a power meter. Will see if there is much difference on some of the hills on my ride to the ride route. Will report back.

The feeling is subtle though, I had it initially clocked wrong my 90* and I could certainly tell then.

Might have to check my clocking.  This one doesn't have the dimple to show where to put it relative to the crank arm.

21 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

if you put down any kinda power/torque, stay away from absolute black rings. ive folded about 5 of them over the years.

wolftooth is a great brand and their drop stop NW teeth works very well in my experiences. 

Weird.  I put a lot of torque (chain breaking maniac and two free hubs in a year) but my AB oval still going strong. 

• Like 1