IGNORED

what trails are good for kids?

So one great thing about the quarantine is my 4 yo learned to ride a balance bike and a pedal bike in the span of 4 days. The older two are more cautious and I have to constantly push them out of their comfort zone. The 4 yo though is a kamikaze and I have to tell her to slow down, be more careful etc. Still it has been fun to be home to watch the progression. Im amazed every day how they are pre-programmed differently out of the box.

My 7 yo has started to ride trails and we have been riding in the mornings before online school starts. It has been great. We have done point 6/outer log, peddlers, and  ankle biter/los pescadores (?). What other trails are good for kids? I was thinking SATN but Im not sure where to put in. I know bull creek isnt too bad, but there is hardly any mileage on the flat part.

Im bummed because my parents are moving this weekend from lisi anne drive where there is great access to trails to leander where there is none.

Bef

46 minutes ago, crazyt said:

Im amazed every day how they are pre-programmed differently out of the box.

It is amazing. Before I had kids I believed "you are a product of your environment." But after raising two totally DIFFERENT boys, in the same environment, I now will argue until I'm blue in the face that "you are genetically predisposed" to be a certain way.

For your SATN adventure I would put in behind ATX Bikes. The almost five miles of trail between Mopac and Escarpment is pretty mild. Two short rock gardens. We do the Take a Kid Mountain Biking events there. Some of those little kids are on striders. 

When you need more mileage search on Strava for House Fire and 45 XL. That's eight miles worth of smooth, twisty, flowing fun. Again, with a few short rock gardens. 

• Like 1

ATX bike lot is probably your best bet with easy trails all around that area. We start at the trails behind the veloway. Park across from the wildflower center and there is a trail right at the end of the road. Mostly mellow stuff all along the creek and easy access to the VCT. Dick Nichols Park is another option for parking. Paved 2 mile loop, an inner dirt loop that is very mellow and more VCT connections to stuff north south and more trails to the west.

Source: 8 yo and 6 yo daughters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

ATX bike lot is probably your best bet with easy trails all around that area. We start at the trails behind the veloway. Park across from the wildflower center and there is a trail right at the end of the road. Mostly mellow stuff all along the creek and easy access to the VCT. Dick Nichols Park is another option for parking. Paved 2 mile loop, an inner dirt loop that is very mellow and more VCT connections to stuff north south and more trails to the west.

Source: 8 yo and 6 yo daughters.

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

Bef

It is amazing. Before I had kids I believed "you are a product of your environment." But after raising two totally DIFFERENT boys, in the same environment, I now will argue until I'm blue in the face that "you are genetically predisposed" to be a certain way.

For your SATN adventure I would put in behind ATX Bikes. The almost five miles of trail between Mopac and Escarpment is pretty mild. Two short rock gardens. We do the Take a Kid Mountain Biking events there. Some of those little kids are on striders. 

When you need more mileage search on Strava for House Fire and 45 XL. That's eight miles worth of smooth, twisty, flowing fun. Again, with a few short rock gardens. 

2 hours ago, crazyt said:

So one great thing about the quarantine is my 4 yo learned to ride a balance bike and a pedal bike in the span of 4 days. The older two are more cautious and I have to constantly push them out of their comfort zone. The 4 yo though is a kamikaze and I have to tell her to slow down, be more careful etc. Still it has been fun to be home to watch the progression. Im amazed every day how they are pre-programmed differently out of the box.

My 7 yo has started to ride trails and we have been riding in the mornings before online school starts. It has been great. We have done point 6/outer log, peddlers, and  ankle biter/los pescadores (?). What other trails are good for kids? I was thinking SATN but Im not sure where to put in. I know bull creek isnt too bad, but there is hardly any mileage on the flat part.

Im bummed because my parents are moving this weekend from lisi anne drive where there is great access to trails to leander where there is none.

Been down this path with kids on bikes. Agree on dropping in behind ATX bikes and exploring from there. Searight is pretty basic choice too and if you're in the mood for a little drive, the one in dripping springs is nice as well. 

Up north try Walnut Creek Point 6 and Inner Log Loops (not Outer Log Loops).

Peddlers Pass was built to allow Honey Badger's kids to ride it. It has picked up some slightly more difficult areas but they can walk those short sections.

Slaughter Creek is a good option b/c it's

• One direction for bikes, the other for hikers & horses
  • A loop with an optional offshoot to lengthen it for a total of three miles
  • No dogs
  • Minimally rocky

It does stay closed longer than other trails when it's wet b/c its watershed protection land.

took my kids on suburban ninja this morning, ended up at christ church. Suburban ninja is great for kids. Lots of fun things for them to ride. Very few people compared to peddlers which is a zoo.

Was able to do about 7 miles which was great.