IGNORED

Bicycle Parent Bragging Thread

I know that we as parents can get proud of what our kids accomplish.  After all, its pretty cool to see them take some "firsts" in the bike world or accomplish stuff that's new or cool to them (and us).  There have been a few times were I sorta wanted to post up these things from my kids, but I just couldn't figure out a format that didn't seem....well...braggadocios.  But after having a few off-topic discussions over in the PIF thread, I realized that others may be feeling the same way as me.  Combine that with the fact I love to see other kids doing cool stuff and I decided to start this thread.  Feel free to post up some cool $hit your kid has done.  I'd love to check it out!

To pick up where the comments in the PIF thread left off...  

I'll go first...

On 5/29/2020 at 5:14 PM, horncpa said:

Absolutely plus one on both.   LOL.  Glad I wasn't the only one.   My son was riding his bike at a ridiculously young age.  Everyone at the park would start asking how in the world I taught him so young.   Find a nice grassy slope and let him go!

Right on!  Here is a photo of my youngest son Levi on the day he learned to ride his bike.  He was 2 yrs and 11.5 mos old.  He was my most advanced rider out of all 3 of my boys and my goal was to have him pedaling on his own before he was 3 yrs old.

IMG-0207.jpgarchaeology professor salary

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 10

A couple quick ones that I’ll have to post pictures of later…

Both boys started on strider bikes and were pedaling by 3.5-4yrs old.

Boys along with neighbor kid built their own plywood ramps to jump (1’ wedge ramp, not a kicker)

In the last couple of months we’ve started riding from the house to get in a lap at walnut and ride back. Granted it’s not a full traditional lap, but the whole distance is close to 9 miles.

They’re 8 & 6. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Both of my kids learned to ride in our rough rocky yard.  The family joke was, “Who put that tree there?”   When they were little it helped diffuse the fear and anger about wrecking by making a joke about it and they still use that line today in their 20s.  It has been a huge joy to ride bikes with them as they grew up.  We were all in Bentonville riding together when the lockdown started and we have all been sheltering in place until recently which gave us a time to do a lot of time for family rides.  

D9A125AC-FFEA-4101-8CFA-6FFEDB624ED2.jpeg.a8eab904d28c298cb3d4d7f8a843e94c.jpeg

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Not sure if the video is showing up, but this is my 5 y.o., 6y.o., and 2yrs 8 Month old. It's the 2y.o. first trail ride.

Love it!  Those pink tassels on the 6 yo's bike!  And your little dude is rocking it for sub-3 yo!  Here is your future with that dude---> My youngest at 7 yrs riding Endo Valley

• Like 4

Love it!  Those pink tassels on the 6 yo's bike!  And your little dude is rocking it for sub-3 yo!  Here is your future with that dude---> My youngest at 7 yrs riding Endo Valley

I’ll be showing this to my boys. They’re still balking at the prospect of riding all of the outer log loop. [emoji1]

…and even I get a little apprehensive when I point my bars toward Endo Valley. Mostly be cause I’ve endo’ed there.

Set a new distance record this evening. 9.5mi ride with the boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

My 7 yo started pedaling right at 2. My oldest (12) was pedaling at 4 with a lot of yelling by me. My youngest is 4 and taught herself about 2 weeks ago.  

I saw a strava post about 3 weeks ago where my friend took his 8 yo daughter on log loops so I took my son to walnut, rode point 6, and he loved it.  Since then we have done outer log as well. We have been riding about once a week, though he would like to ride more.  With the 7 year on endo video Im pretty much going to have to force him to do it LOL

We did suburban ninja this weekend and it was great for mileage. So far it is my favorite trail for the kids and christ church will have really nice features if he gets good enough.

I think woom has geared bikes that will fit a 7 YO. I built my sons bike for my oldest on a specialized hotrock base.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

Great thread!!  I always felt the same way (bragging) about posting stuff about my awesome kids 🙂 As a father of 7 girls, (and a couple boys) I have tons of the cutest biking pictures and videos.  I'll just put this one up for now...

(also - I know she doesn't have a helmet or shoes on for that matter, but this is in the yard and we are pretty strict about that stuff when we go on pavement or trails)

• Like 3

I can't imagine 9 kids.  One boy is enough to wear us out at times.  I have always been into biking, so would have been disappointed if my kid didn't show interest.  It was a surprise hearing from coming across so many parents that said their kid never wanted to bike until later in life.  Glad I didn't waste money on the first bike I bought.  Turned out the first balance bike I picked up (just after he was born) had a higher stand-over height than a Strider, so we borrowed a pink Strider from a friend as my son's first bike.  He was obsessed with it before he could walk, and is now on his 4th bike.  He is putting to use the old XTR v-brakes I had been hanging onto from my past, and so much fun to go on rides with.

• Like 6

On 5/31/2020 at 10:44 PM, CBaron said:

Awesome! I like the miniature Hammerhead jersey! Too bad he doesn't have a miniature Camelback! 😁

46 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Awesome! I like the miniature Hammerhead jersey! Too bad he doesn't have a miniature Camelback! 😁

We just donated two old-school camelbacks to Goodwill.  The bladders were old but the pack itself was in good shape.  I'm talking OG Camelback with the small bladder opening.

2 hours ago, GFisher said:

LOL, FULL back protection!  

His bike didn't have bottle mount so that was my improvisation.  He's moved on to bigger and better bikes and has proper hydration systems.

-CJB

Ha! This is a great idea for a thread. My 16yr old son is an absolute natural on the bike but just doesn’t love it. I remember several times at Walnut as a 7 year old I wouldn’t be able to finish saying, “maybe you shouldn’t....oooook” and he’s already down it. I just ordered and received for  my 12y.o. daughter a decent Raleigh 27.5” bike off bikesdirect. I did my normal ride the other day and then rode an additional 20mi with her hike n bike, peddlers, picnic, picnic x and she just sat in and didn’t complain or anything. I kept looking back and checking on her, but there she was, just keeping up. About mile 15 she was commenting how it didn’t feel like we had been riding for 1.5hr or so, and I responded that riding bikes is something she needs to do then when it doesn’t feel like work. Love teaching her shifting, obstacles, etc plus just all the wildlife we see. My son will ride if forced but he’s a pure tennis head. 

3420D2BD-A6E8-4659-A0C8-0D6FD75BA4DE.thumb.jpeg.2c68df801b011c59e5a6c1e545e7f4a6.jpeg

Edited by Morealice
Pic uploading amateur
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, Morealice said:

My son will ride if forced but....

Thats my oldest son too.  He's 17.5 yrs and will ride when I TELL him we are going to go.  But if I ask him if he wants to go, he always says "next time".  Thats why I've learned to just tell him to get his gear on.  Problem right now is that he's outgrown his MTB and all we've got (for him) is a road bike.  My youngest one, (in photos above) is the only one of my kids to actively "ask me" to go ride.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

The 4 of my kids (18, 16, 14, 12) that raced NICA this year have completely lost interest in riding when the season was cancelled.  The next 2 younger ones (7 & 10 girls) are chomping at the bit and ask to go on rides often.   So that's who I ride with now 🙂  I always try to encourage the older ones to come and invite them every time we ride but no such luck these days.   The warmer weather is not helping much either.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, mtb_jeremy said:

I can't imagine 9 kids.  One boy is enough to wear us out at times.  I have always been into biking, so would have been disappointed if my kid didn't show interest.  It was a surprise hearing from coming across so many parents that said their kid never wanted to bike until later in life.  Glad I didn't waste money on the first bike I bought.  Turned out the first balance bike I picked up (just after he was born) had a higher stand-over height than a Strider, so we borrowed a pink Strider from a friend as my son's first bike.  He was obsessed with it before he could walk, and is now on his 4th bike.  He is putting to use the old XTR v-brakes I had been hanging onto from my past, and so much fun to go on rides with.

If I was filming that I would have run into the back of a parked car...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, PA810 said:

The 4 of my kids (18, 16, 14, 12) that raced NICA this year have completely lost interest in riding when the season was cancelled.  The next 2 younger ones (7 & 10 girls) are chomping at the bit and ask to go on rides often.   So that's who I ride with now 🙂  I always try to encourage the older ones to come and invite them every time we ride but no such luck these days.   The warmer weather is not helping much either.

What NICA team were they riding for?

-CJB

Edited by CBaron

On 6/4/2020 at 2:57 PM, CBaron said:

What NICA team were they riding for?

-CJB

My 18yo daughter raced for Lake Travis,  the other 3 for Steiner Ranch (I coach with them as well).  The reason they were on separate teams was just due to logistics and when they started (The Steiner team didn't exist when the oldest started).  

• Like 4