IGNORED

Bicycle Parent Bragging Thread

On 11/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, Teamsloan said:

I grew up on Santa Cruz, and spent countless hours between riding that park and the Quarries. That takes me back.

Nice, I am on Toledo Dr and been riding around the area and those parks a lot with my kid (5 year old).  Nice to have two good areas so close for him also as he gets older.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did 4.3 miles yesterday on Peddlers with my oldest. She wanted to do the "roller coaster section a 3rd time until I offered a bail out point near the parking lot and she realized how tired and sore she was. 😂 I was amazed she rode every single bridge and attempted the cedar A-frame twice! I can't wait to get her on the 24" Hotrock with a little travel and 7-gears.

IMG_20210124_130006.thumb.jpg.cc5136a8eae48fbc30356a1fdfa25afd.jpg20210123_160505.thumb.jpg.ffb9ab5faf83561abc4a87fcdce592bb.jpg

Edited by RedRider3141
  • Like 11

Saturday my ride plans were hijacked by my Son demanding to join me. So much for hitting big trails and miles. Instead we loaded up and went to Walnut. He did his own personal longest ride at 6.15 miles. Lots of sitting around to rest. But he had a great time. He's done Peddlers, but I think he liked .6 and some of the WC trails more. Will go back on a week day afternoon with less dog and foot traffic. He is super timid on going down stuff, but he has no problem climbing and picking solid lines going uphill. It was also a great opportunity for him to work on gear changes, so a win all around.

After a good ride I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the start of a legit wheelset for him - 24" Velocity Dyad rims on Sun Ringle disc hubs. Should shave a couple lbs and let us throw the 1x9 set up on the bike.

image.png.0aca439d9e68222eb37d15fa95f2da9b.png

Pic from peddlers last month.

PXL_20201227_174607263.MP.jpg

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Like 6

My son is the same. VERY timid on anything with a decent downhill slope. He walks down the dips on the outer log loop. If anyone knows how to get him over that, I’m all ears.

Great picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian - the best way to get him over fears like that is to let him ride with other kids his age (or slightly older). He will follow them over stuff that he would never follow an adult over. This can, of course, be used for good or evil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

This is true for adults as well.

First time I ever hit Jock Strap was in a line of other riders AT NIGHT on the BCGB back country trails.  I was prolly 2 bike lengths off the guy in front of me as we kept an aggressive pace.  I had no idea where we were and once we completed the feature I was SHOCKED.  Days later, my next 2-3 times to come up on that feature (and in the daylight) I could not bring myself to do it.  But following a wheel closely, at night even, and not having any time to process it....I was all-in! 😉   (the above story took place 12-13 yrs ago)

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

100% agreed. Peer pressure is a powerful thing. I took up skiing later in life thany friends and had to learn on the hard hills to stay with them. I got decent pretty quickly. Never got great but I could make it down anything my friends could. The worst was seeing a 7yo blitz a section that I was struggling through... 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Saturday my ride plans were hijacked by my Son demanding to join me. So much for hitting big trails and miles. Instead we loaded up and went to Walnut. He did his own personal longest ride at 6.15 miles. Lots of sitting around to rest. But he had a great time. He's done Peddlers, but I think he liked .6 and some of the WC trails more. Will go back on a week day afternoon with less dog and foot traffic. He is super timid on going down stuff, but he has no problem climbing and picking solid lines going uphill. It was also a great opportunity for him to work on gear changes, so a win all around.

After a good ride I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the start of a legit wheelset for him - 24" Velocity Dyad rims on Sun Ringle disc hubs. Should shave a couple lbs and let us throw the 1x9 set up on the bike.

image.png.0aca439d9e68222eb37d15fa95f2da9b.png

Pic from peddlers last month.

PXL_20201227_174607263.MP.jpg

My 8 year old has pretty much hijacked all my riding time. He can kind of do the full walnut route, but prefers to just cycle log loops, powerline, and close with bmx.

Then my oldest (13) started to join us. She cant quite hang with the 8 yo. And the 5 yo is now going as well which means  I get stuck doing .6 and log loops only.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, Teamsloan said:

My son is the same. VERY timid on anything with a decent downhill slope. He walks down the dips on the outer log loop. If anyone knows how to get him over that, I’m all ears.

Great picture!

you probably need to buy him a new bike...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

The worst was seeing a 7yo blitz a section that I was struggling through... 

Ok, to keep up the personal experience stories....

I've been riding a bit less lately through this winter.  I consider technical stuff my strength, but I've been a bit rusty lately and I'm finding my need to stay sharp less important. (all that is a disclaimer for what's next)  Back before Xmas I took my older and younger boys to ride Revelie Peak for the first time.  We had a good time and everyone enjoyed it.  We all sessions the jump & flow lines over on the west side of the property.  We then chose to ride to the top of decision point.  It was suggested to us to come back down Super D.  I was just in chill-mode coming down Super D and pulled up short towards the lower section on a techie narrow step down (followed shortly by a big roll-in).  We all stopped and looked at it and I said, "yeah, I could do it but I'm cool with walking it today"......my 11 yr old says, "I can do this, I'm gonna go back up and give it a go".  My initial thought was that he was going to eat $hit.  But I let him go (and learn) on his own.  As he comes into it he's all out of position and can't get to the line.  He bails.  (I thought that might be it)  Nope, he goes back up and tries again.  This time rocking the whole thing (albeit not too smoothly).  As we all promptly ride away together, he comments to me, "heck, I'm even on little wheels dad...".  I contemplate to myself going back and riding it so that I can save some face.  But I decided that he can have that little victory over his old-man.  And it truly was.  I'll forever, remember this day because I'm certain there will be many more to come.

IMG-0422.jpg

IMG-0426.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 4fun said:

Start them early😁this is my 3 year old. 

Yes!  Start them early and you'll see them progress in no time. (see my post above).  This is my then 10 yr old ripping at Angel Fire summer of 19'

IMG-1854.pngl

IMG-1828.png

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 5

you probably need to buy him a new bike...

He’s got a custom built 24” with a lowered Fox fork, discs and carbon bits. But I do like your suggestion.

He was pedaling a bike around 3-4, but for some reason his personality is extremely risk adverse. He’ll do a 10mile ride with me as long as it doesn’t involve “tricky, scary stuff”

Basically I’ve figured out he has to be in the right mood and he has to watch other people do something a bunch of times until he’s analyzed exactly how to do it. Then, when nobody is watching he’ll nail it like an expert the first try...and act like it was no big deal. :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crazyt said:

My 8 year old has pretty much hijacked all my riding time. He can kind of do the full walnut route, but prefers to just cycle log loops, powerline, and close with bmx.

Then my oldest (13) started to join us. She cant quite hang with the 8 yo. And the 5 yo is now going as well which means  I get stuck doing .6 and log loops only.

Dude...I have but one piece of advice for you and if you ever listen to anyone on the internet, listen to this:  Ride with your kids every chance you get. 

They are enjoying themselves, outside, exercising, and doing something that you can do with them.  There is no better way to spend your time.  If I could go back in time and relive all those rides with my kids, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Once they find hobbies that you only watch (rock climbing, gymnastics, parkour, ballet, etc....), you'll be on the sidelines wishing you were out riding log loops for the third time in a row while they pedaled in front of you dodging every root.  Good times.

• Like 6

On 1/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, Tree Magnet said:

Dude...I have but one piece of advice for you and if you ever listen to anyone on the internet, listen to this:  Ride with your kids every chance you get. 

This statement is wring loud in my mind as my oldest son is a Sr in HS and is about to head off for college.  He still is willing (and says he enjoys) riding with me (and his younger brother.

3 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Rode SN down to Brushy and back this afternoon. I was really surprised at how many dads and kids were out riding some legit trails with legit bikes with legit smiles. Making memories

I was out there with on of my boys this afternoon.  And since this is the parent bragging thread....

IMG-0657.jpg

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to get the kids out more on the smooth sections of the SATN. The Pay it Forward Epic I snagged from @Shinerider is also helping get the whole family out on the trails, which is great for me. We’re definitely adding excitement for anyone trying to share the same patch of trail as us.

683CFBBB-1041-41F2-9596-A71DE5C432B9.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Checked out the new Velosolutions pump track at McAllister Park in San Antonio yesterday.  Very nice facility, and really quiet on a Wednesday (during Spring Break).  Perfect for the kid to have a chance to explore it.  Will have to make a trip back, and plan to hit some trails as well.

mac.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...