IGNORED

Stubby front fenders

I'm the last guy you will see riding in the mud but they still seem like a good idea for the occasional puddle/creek crossing, etc.

Any recommendations? pretty much one size fits all? Not sure I have seen them locally, not that I have been inside a shop in the last few months.

I'm considering something very minimal like the Mucky Nutz. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-racks-fenders-locks/bike-fenders-accessories/bike-fenders/mucky-nutz-face-front-fender/p/24845/

Do these even do enough to make it worth it?

Edited by GFisher

I doubt there is a ton of difference between all the models. It would not be difficult to fabricate a DIY. I have Mucky Nuts one on my bike. I think it's the same as the one in your link. I just strap it on and forget it. It's been on my bike for a few years.

Even without mud, I think these are a terrific idea to keep some of the crud off your suspension.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

I got the mucky nuts for the epic mudfests Dirty Dozen and the RHR24 I think in 2018.  They did not block all the splashes but they definitely helped.  BSS carries them in several colors.

I would not leave them on permanently though. The muck and the zip ties on the fork will grind on (especially rocky hill dirt).

• Like 1

Definitely get the synchros one then. I wish there was one for my my fork (cane creek helm).

I have one not for mud but to keep dirt and rocks from getting kicked up and scratching my stanchions. They also help to keep the seals just a little cleaner.

I hate having to use zip ties though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/6/2020 at 4:41 PM, rockshins said:

Love having a fender as well and if you have a newer fox fork you can grab a bolt on fender for a clean setup.

https://www.syncros.com/us/en/product/syncros-trail-fender

I have this one, came with bike.  I left it off for a few rides then thought WTH surely doesnt hurt and installed it.  Does keep some mud and water off

Mine seems to catch a lot of loose, flying rocks. I can often hear them bouncing off. Especially with new tires. After catching a flying rock to the top lip I think it’s worth it to have one even with very rarely riding through mud and water.

7 minutes ago, Browndog said:

Mine seems to catch a lot of loose, flying rocks. I can often hear them bouncing off. Especially with new tires. After catching a flying rock to the top lip I think it’s worth it to have one even with very rarely riding through mud and water.

The moment I was sold was like this. I wasn't "riding muddy trails", but there was an unexpected patch of mud that caked my tires. (It was a connector trail behind some houses. Someone must have over watered the yard or something.) Then immediately after, I rode through some pea gravel. I flinched expecting small rocks to be hurled at my face, but to my delight, I just heard them hitting the fender.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

It's us closet Taco Fanatics you really need to worry about. 

There is nothing to be scared about. There has never been a better time to come out of the closet and proudly announce to the would that you are a Taco Fanatic. 

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, taco_junkie said:

....and to a lesser degree the fork stanchions from dirt and debris.

Seemed kind of odd when bikes and motorcycles went away from fork boots. My first fork (Mag 21) had the accordion boots and later Lizard Skin covers, The upside down forks seemed like a step further in the wrong direction. I suppose the materials/coatings have hardened to the point it is not a major concern. Still seems kind of risky.

Edited by GFisher