IGNORED

Non LBS Bike Repair

I've been fixing neighbors' bikes at my house. I keep it very unofficial as I am not insured as a business for my work. People pay me a nominal amount of cash or bring something yummy to drink. I usually don't want to risk taking business away from LBS but they seem to be swamped right now.

That's an invitation to the rest of you- I can probably diagnose and fix your bike if you don't want to wait forever for the shop. I have almost nothing by way of spare parts, so you'll have to supply those on your own, though.

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I've been fixing neighbors' bikes at my house. I keep it very unofficial as I am not insured as a business for my work. People pay me a nominal amount of cash or bring something yummy to drink. I usually don't want to risk taking business away from LBS but they seem to be swamped right now.

That's an invitation to the rest of you- I can probably diagnose and fix your bike if you don't want to wait forever for the shop. I have almost nothing by way of spare parts, so you'll have to supply those on your own, though.

I pretty much do the same thing. If I hit the lotto somehow, I'm pretty sure I would just become a bike mechanic and wrench all day.

My buddy used to exclusively use a mobile mechanic. He said the guy was cool, very professional, usually had the parts he needed in the van, convenient, and fairly priced. I want to say it was called something like "Dragon". I wonder what happened to him. 

Check out James at Velofix!  Great guy that used to own City Limit Cycles (another mobile repair) and is top notch! I'm told he wrenches for the Special Olympics all over the world. 

He was contact-less before it was cool.  Your bike gets fixed in a day without you having to lift a finger.  He gets my bike from the garage, takes to his van on the curb, fixes it, and puts it back.

He can do full suspension rebuilds (though parts may need to be ordered).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

Check out James at Velofix!  Great guy that used to own City Limit Cycles (another mobile repair) and is top notch! I'm told he wrenches for the Special Olympics all over the world. 

He was contact-less before it was cool.  Your bike gets fixed in a day without you having to lift a finger.  He gets my bike from the garage, takes to his van on the curb, fixes it, and puts it back.

He can do full suspension rebuilds (though parts may need to be ordered).

Plus he builds the best wheels in Austin. He's built 2 sets for me over the years (based on his recommendation from others) and they are the best wheels ever.

• Like 2