IGNORED

But it came with the bike!

TheX

I've got a fox transfer that I really like. I did have a warranty fix on mine though and bought a second one to ride while it was at Fox. I now have the fixed post back from Fox so I've got 2. If anybody needs a 31.6/175mm post (non-kashima version), I'll make you a good deal. 

On 6/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, Chief said:

Get this. A reverb is just a regular dropper post that's actuated by hydraulic which seems pretty unnecessary. Once this is installed it's now a regular dropper post. No more bleeding and leaking.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/remote-sustain-for-rockshox-reverb?_pos=1&_sid=e5402081e&_ss=r

I get it, but a MOD to a hydraulic dropper that is ~1/3 to 1/2 cost of a brand new dropper  - I don't get it.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, Chief said:

Get this. A reverb is just a regular dropper post that's actuated by hydraulic which seems pretty unnecessary. Once this is installed it's now a regular dropper post. No more bleeding and leaking.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/remote-sustain-for-rockshox-reverb?_pos=1&_sid=e5402081e&_ss=r

I get it, but a MOD to a hydraulic dropper that is ~1/3 to 1/2 cost of a brand new dropper  - I don't get it.

Double post weirdness.  Sad to hear about the REVERB.  I have one "that came on the bike" and it would suck to have to change it out.

Edited by Shinerider

2 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Thanks for reminding me that I am so happy I dont like droppers and swapped back to a normal seat post. I just dont get it. Or need the hassle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I love it and absolute necessity when out at spider mtn or dropping big things.  The ability to get the seat out of your balls and make sure you are centered over the bike is awesome

• Like 1

I've been riding over 30 years and just dont need it. I guess my balls are small cuz it just isnt an issue. I make do on what ever just fine. But I'll do me and you just get frustrated over things that dont work that you paid alot of money for. To each their own I reckon.

Been using E13 (oem 2018 YT Jeffsy) for a couple years. No experience with anything else, but it seems "ok"...been wanting to replace and thinking PNW would be the winner, but they have so many different models, not sure what is different about all of them. Some are internal, some external. Some shorter, some longer. E13 still works, so until it doesn't, I'll keep PNW back of mind. 

15 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Thanks for reminding me that I am so happy I dont like droppers and swapped back to a normal seat post. I just dont get it. Or need the hassle.

where are you mostly riding? If you have your seat up at optimal height for pedaling, it def isnt at a good height for descending. Without a dropper I keep my seat in a middle position, not perfect for pedaling, but also not perfect for descending.

Lots of trails dont need a dropper as you arent going to hammer out miles at a high cadence and arent dropping steeps drops.

Edited by crazyt

I don't need a dropper for 99% of the stuff I ride, but it sure does make some things more fun. I rode BMX (street, park, flatland, not racing or jumping) from age 13 well into my 30s. bunnyhopping, nose-bonking, manualing, and trials-type shenanigans are part of every ride that keeps things fun. I don't care about going fast in the end. the dropper post makes my bike feel like a big BMX bike again. if you're more of a "dirt roadie" I would not expect that to make much sense. then again, some people just have sufficient skill and flexibility that it's a non-issue, and I am jealous of that kind of skill.

The market is flooded with dropper posts that are cheap, easy to service, and work consistently. I don't know why the Reverb exists at all. I avoided the KS models because I thought the "non-serviceable cartridge" seemed wasteful. OneUp and PNW are apparently serviceable, although I've done nothing but wipe the dirt off my PNW for over a year and top off the air on two occasions.

17 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I know that

I was a pretty late to the dropper post game (got my first one about 2 years ago) and before I got it, I said all of the things you are saying.  To be honest, when I first got it I still wasn't convinced.  But after giving it enough time to really get used to it, I can't envision riding without it.  Could I still ride everything I want to ride without one?  Yeah, probably.  But I seem to be gravitating (no pun intended) more and more toward the type of riding that really benefits from having a dropper.  I couldn't imagine riding the Church jumps/drops or Spider Mtn. without one.  Well, at least not without a lot of stops to raise and lower my seatpost manually, which doesn't sound very steezy.

I've had a KS eTen for 5-6 years? Only thing I've done to it besides wipe down the stanchion was smack it with a mallet when I didn't ride for 6 months and it got stuck up. That was 3 years ago, it has definitely developed some seat rotation play but I never notice it riding, only when moving my bike by hand. My next dropper will probably be a BrandX or PNW (same thing?) I like the non-moving external routing. 

3 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I've had a KS eTen for 5-6 years? Only thing I've done to it besides wipe down the stanchion was smack it with a mallet when I didn't ride for 6 months and it got stuck up. That was 3 years ago, it has definitely developed some seat rotation play but I never notice it riding, only when moving my bike by hand. My next dropper will probably be a BrandX or PNW (same thing?) I like the non-moving external routing. 

Same with mine. Set it and forget it. I love raising 2 mm for a tough climb then lowering it 2mm for a tough decent every few months. Spider Mtn would be when I would actually use it. If I can ever get out there. 

• Haha 1

Some people ride single speed. They don't need gears.

Some people ride hard tails. They don't need rear suspension.

Some people ride rigids. They don't need suspension at all.

Some people ride 26" wheel bikes. They don't need that extra rollover ability of a 29er.

I'm not going to try and convince somebody they need a dropper post. I had years of great riding fun without one. All I can do is share the knowledge with them that a geared, full suspension, 29er, with a dropper post makes riding more fun for ME. I will never quit using any of those fun enhancing things

Nothing on a bike is going to last forever. Tires and perhaps droppers are things that wear out the fastest. I'm not going to stop using tires just because one of them failed me at some point. Same with a dropper. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

Same with mine. Set it and forget it. I love raising 2 mm for a tough climb then lowering it 2mm for a tough decent every few months. Spider Mtn would be when I would actually use it. If I can ever get out there. 

No, mine (all 100mm of it still works) it just froze once. 

15 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=85182

These guys have the e13 on sale for $135.  As long as you are tall enough to get a 170mm on your bike.  It has a nice mechanical click.  The way it locks is a little strange at first, but I got used to it pretty quick.  

I had the e13 post on my previous bike and while I liked the way it performed, I did have to send one back to them because it developed way too much side to side play.  I tried all the things they suggested, but they finally just sent me a replacement post.  Customer service was great.  As stated above, having 3 or 4 stops rather than infinite adjustment is a bit strange at first, but I got used to it very quickly.  I also loved the way the e13 post snapped up to full height.  I haven't seen a hydraulic dropper that pops up that quickly. Since it's an all-mechanical design, it's supposedly much easier to work on and maintain.  That's a smokin' deal for $135 if you can handle the 170mm length.

22 minutes ago, xl_cheese said:

The absolute best post I have experience with is the Bike Yoke.

Yep. After years of failures with posts, I am sitting happy with BikeYoke Revive both on my trail bike and "gravel" bike. Although I have had good success with the PNW I have on my fat bike, and we've had no trouble at all with @Jessica's Brand X in nearly 2.5 years on her trail bike.  

• Like 2