IGNORED

Salida Co: Seeking recommendations

Jessica

51 minutes ago, throet said:

He's a great kid and a beast on the bike. Think you'll be up there that weekend? 

Working on my plans now - however, the final two weeks of July are looking busy, workwise. I was thinking of flying in for the first couple of weeks of August - get a few Crest rides in, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spent only 4 nights in Salida Jul 8-12, and wish now I had made it a full week stay. So much to do and see there! There were only two of us from Austin making the trip, and we ended up renting a decent 2 bedroom bungalow just a few blocks from the main strip downtown. Worked out well since a couple of my buddies from the Denver-Boulder area came down and camped out on the couch / floor. The backyard patio was awesome with plenty of seating and a large rack for parking the bikes. When we weren't riding, we were pretty much hanging out downtown and alongside (and in) the river. Our top spots for dining were the Boathouse and Amica's. 

Rides went as follows:

Day 1 - Bear Creek-Rainbow-Columbine Loop (8 mi) late morning, followed by a guided tour that same evening of a few of the local favorite trails on Methodist Mtn (8mi). 

Day 2 - Monarch Crest w/Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to Hwy 285 to Poncha Springs (35 mi).

Day 3 - Abbreviated Cottonwood Loop that included Beasway-Rumba-Cottonwood-SweetDreams-ChickenDinner (13 mi).

image.thumb.png.40e0440410983ddb8f1ca366816bb117.png

Each ride was spectacular and I really wished I had tried to squeeze in one more ride on Day 3. With two vehicles, we were able to run our own shuttles, which was a huge plus. The Crest was everything I expected and more! The weather was fantastic the whole time we were there, even at 12K ft of elevation. Already thinking about my next trip back, which will likely include one day for rafting or tubing and another day to make the drive over to Gunnison to ride Hartman Rocks.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, throet said:

Day 3 - Abbreviated Cottonwood Loop that included Beasway-Rumba-Cottonwood-SweetDreams-ChickenDinner (13 mi).

I wouldn't call that abbreviated, unless you skipped the mandatory post-ride beer in town (I like to go to Benson's).

11 hours ago, TAF said:

I wouldn't call that abbreviated, unless you skipped the mandatory post-ride beer in town (I like to go to Benson's).

We only skipped the 7-mile dirt road climb up CR 175. Definitely plenty of choices for beer in town but we never got over to Benson's. Will put that on my list for next time! 

9 hours ago, throet said:

We only skipped the 7-mile dirt road climb up CR 175. Definitely plenty of choices for beer in town but we never got over to Benson's. Will put that on my list for next time! 

Ah - I assumed you rode to the ride! Way more convenient than shuttling!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TAF said:

Ah - I assumed you rode to the ride! Way more convenient than shuttling!

Yeah definitely. They probably did that mostly to benefit me, knowing that it would take me an extra 20 minutes or so to get up that road. In retrospect, I should have just offered to head out half-an-hour earlier than the studs I was riding with, while they enjoyed their treats from Little Red Hen Bakery.  

• 1 month later...