IGNORED

limits of traction

On 7/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, Michael Bevilacqua said:

Saying I'm wrong? Fuck off.

Dude you sound fast, we totally should ride together sometime! Who knows, maybe I'll learn something. 

Not about cornering or climbing, but something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Michael Bevilacqua said:

Every day, pal.

Congrats. That must be a new development. As a reminder, your Strava profile and the comments you made on it was public a couple of weeks ago when this thread started.

12 hours ago, Michael Bevilacqua said:

LOL fuck off.

The only reason I got snarky with you was because you asked me and others twice to fuck off. No thanks. Adults can have conversations and even suggest each other is wrong without resorting to such. But seriously, there's no reason to get so pissy because this thread is a great opportunity for all of us to learn how others go about the same goals, as you yourself noted a page back.

And your cornering isn't completely wrong in my opinion. For me, one of the primary things is having your outside crank arm low or at 6 o-clock in order to put weight on your inside tire knobs. And it sounds like you do that. And you get your weight low with your saddle down. That's absolutely correct. And if you were here saying that you tried to balance your weight on both your front and rear tire, I wouldn't have any disagreement with that--that's how I corner in a lot of scenarios. But in low traction situations, I cheat my weight on the outside handlebar to add traction to the front. 

Also one page back, @crazyt posted blurbs (which you appeared to ignore) from people who's business it is to corner well in order to make a living. Certainly they'd do it a different way if that way was more successful.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, Michael Bevilacqua said:

I never crash.

If true, that's not a great policy. I do have my "never go over the bars" policy, but I do on occasion crash, usually just enough to get scuffed and scratched up a couple of times a year. But typically it's because I'm going fast and pushing my limits. If I never crash, I'm not pushing my limits. 

Last year I rode with @schoolie and his brother at Spider MTN. And in any situation where pedaling wasn't involved, I was having trouble keeping up with those guys--and generally when I did catch them on the black and double black trails, it was because they were on the ground! Conversely I didn't crash at all. It wasn't that their DH handling was that much better than mine, but they were both willing to take much bigger risks for speed than I was. 

On 7/4/2020 at 1:45 PM, Michael Bevilacqua said:

We don't want a heavy front.  When we bomb a hill we want to learn back and balance our way out of it. With our legs. Not our arms.

This came up in another recent thread started by that trouble-maker @mack_turtle. This is very much how people learned to ride on old-school geo bikes. But modern geo works better with some weight over the front, particularly in loose situations. In that thread, I mentioned that I still get behind the bb a little, but I've recently noticed that in very spicy situations (other than Endo Valley there are no spicy situations at Walnut, and even that is tame), indeed I am getting a bit more forward and weighting my front more than I expected. 

You also said regarding my comments: 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, Michael Bevilacqua said:

And it doesn't help the OP

But:

On 7/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, mack_turtle said:

FWIW: I am starting to have much better results by leaning forward a bit more to dig the front tire into the ground as I corner.

Well how about that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Barry said:

This came up in another recent thread started by that trouble-maker @mack_turtle

status goal achieved. If I am asking questions that stir up an argument, they are good questions. no one has all the answers, and if you think you have it all figured out and you "never crash" and everyone else is wrong, you're probably full of it. a little humility goes a long way.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

This guy does a good job laying out the fundamentals of cornering and body position. The knee advice really helped me improve the "favorite side" problem i was running into.

Great Video, I had never heard of that technique. I'll need to pay attention to whether I push forward like that or not. 

Also, I have that exact same T-Shirt from a DB giveaway a few years back.

• Like 1

we need to start doing this post-COVID: cycle speed way racing. 26" wheels, no brakes, singlespeed. physical contact is legal. ride as fast as you can around a flat dirt track and try not to die. if you have an old 26er gathering dust, this is its destiny. we'll have the best-cornering people in the world.

• Like 2

I was watching this JKW video and trying to figure out how he corners. Totally different conditions to here but he does exit those turns on his rear wheel butt behind the seat. Sometimes straight into a manual. More like hes pumping the berms than the flat corner technique.

39 minutes ago, Barry said:

I saw a video where JKW was going to show his audience how to corner on steep berms...he then proceeded manual around one, and nose wheelie around the other. Thanks for the help, Jeff!

That's how I do it, and I never crash. what's the problem?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1