IGNORED

limits of traction

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

Chunky tires never helped me corner any faster. Braking grip, and technical climbing traction...yes.

My fastest lap on inner log loop to date was on Barry's Evil Chamois Haggar with gravel tires. It's all about those side knobs and distributing your weight on them effectively. It sounds to me too like your tires are too soft. They need to hold their shape enough to not roll over. Having wider tires on narrower rims will exaggerate this issue.

Also, if you're braking entering a corner and not losing traction, it means you could have gone faster without losing traction. Braking is demanding more traction of the tire that could be used for cornering. 

I've skidded out enough times in different conditions that I like a good grippy tire in the turns. Basically if I was a better rider I could choose better tools. But that is like a lot of things in my life.

you just gotta shralp dat berm with some steez brah!...  nah jk new tires I adjust psi where all my weight on the heel of my hand on tire gives about halfway/three quarters to rim compression on tire. Then measure, ride and adjust as needed. Cornering I exaggerate lean to determine break point and then work from there Wahla 😀

4 hours ago, notyal said:

I'm not a tire connoisseur like some people around here. (I have always liked Specialized tires, tho.) I'll just say that I recently swapped from a worn out Specy GC/Purg combo to some Nobby Nics f/r. First couple of rides, conditions were a little slick, so I thought "meh". Next few were hero dirt, so I thought "these are badass! Unlimited traction!" Yesterday, it's getting really dry and loose out there, and we're back to "meh".

So essentially, I'm not smart enough to isolate how the new tires feel vs. the old tires without being heavily influenced by conditions. I *think* they are grippier, but they are new and a more aggressive tread pattern, so they should be. Right?

Hear ya'

In my experience the NNs are pretty decent all rounders for here though. They are light for their size, fairly durable for their weight, and give pretty consistent feedback. Wife's bike currently has a NN & RR combo that works well.

@mack_turtle as others have said, you can learn to ride any tire, it just takes a little time. Not sure there is any silver bullet when it comes to tires in CTX. 

Edited by ATXZJ

14 minutes ago, TAF said:

... Rekons? I don't think I've slid out sideways on one yet.

I can't say I haven't ever washed out on them--I push them harder than reasonable at times--but I do think they're the best all around tire available now. 

As a call back to earlier in this thread...I do, on occasion, crash.

I loved my Icons until they got the slightest bit wet.
My WTB Weirwolf LTs were amazing as well. Both exceptionally fast rolling tires. Then I went chunky with Goma’s and Ardents and learned how to properly lean those tires. Now I’m back to WTB with the Vigilante and Trailboss combo, but there’s a tanwall Ranger on deck to replace the trailboss to get back to the small tightly spaced knob style.

Like Austinbike said, ride it enough and you get used to it.

I’ve heard the Assegai is the new silver bullet tire that can do no wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

9 years ago it was the Nevegal...

I'm still running Nevegals...

But I agree, I was 100% satisfied with them in the NW but in Austin they are only good in a limited band of conditions. I'm just too cheap to replace them when they still have knobs left.

My HT has a Maxxis Ikon (rear) and WTB trail boss (front) and they are better than the Nevegal in almost every situation. 

2 hours ago, TAF said:

Damn, Barry - but how many miles is that?

I get 900 to 1200 miles per pair. That used to be 6 to 7 weeks when I was riding the 5010 almost exclusively. Now that I split some time with ChamoisHagar I get a couple of months out of the 5010's Rekons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barry said:

I get 900 to 1200 miles per pair. That used to be 6 to 7 weeks when I was riding the 5010 almost exclusively. Now that I split some time with ChamoisHagar I get a couple of months out of the 5010's Rekons.

And I was excited that last week for the first time since my 7 yr old was born I’ve exceed A thousand miles in year and on pace for 1200🤣

• Like 1

Impressive, takes me three or four months to rack up that many miles.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk