IGNORED

Cane Creek eeWings crankset

Does anyone have experience with the Cane Creek eeWIngs cranksets?  Are you actively using them?  And more over, do you happen to be using them on a Stumpjumper 2019+ ?  

Since moving to Austin, I've had to maintain my cranksets much more often. It's due to the climate and the dusty, sandy terrain. Degreasing and re-greasing does the trick. But now, in my current situation, my Stumpjumper came with a set of Race Face Aeffect cranks which won't stay on when properly torqued. I've replaced the fixing bolt and opened a warranty service request. I want to be through with the crank issues and at this point, spending more is worth fixing something I keep having to waste time on.

Something like:

If not the eeWings, any other comparable suggestions?

Thanks!

When you say "maintain my cranksets", what exactly are you referring to?  There's really not much to maintain on a crankset, so I'm thinking you may actually be talking about your bottom bracket (the bearings that are attached to your frame).  While bottom brackets do wear out, it's still pretty uncommon to have to be servicing or replacing them more than once a year (at most) unless you are putting tons of miles on your bike or riding in extremely wet conditions.  These days, it's more common to replace a bottom bracket rather than servicing them.  The bearings are usually sealed, so they aren't really made to be cleaned and re-greased.

As for the crank arm coming loose, you might try putting a little blue loctite on the fixing bolt.  On older, square-tapered bottom brackets a loose crank arm could result in rounded out corners of the hole in the crankarm.  Once that happened, you'd never really be able to keep the crank arm from moving and eventually loosening up.  With the spline interface on most modern cranksets (including the RF Aeffect), that's not going to happen.  If you tighten the fixing bolt all the way (I know you referenced torque settings, but my experience with cranks is that you tighten the fixing bolt until it stops), is there any side to side play in the crankarms?  If so, you might have an issue with spacers which would mean the fixing bolt isn't able to snug up against the crankarm properly.  As I said earlier, if the crankarm is snug with no play after tightening the bolt, I'd try a little blue loctite to see if that holds everything in place.

• Like 2

The Aeffect cranks have a spacer on the drive side that has a specific orientation. It has a red line on it and a shoulder on one side the shoulder needs to face the BB. That may be a reason for it being an issue. I have the Effect cranks on my hardtail and have had no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. It's amusing that I originally replaced the bolt because I ran into an issue with the Blue Loc-tite.  Ended up bonding the threads and stripping the 8mm hex. Had to use a big, bad bolt extractor to undo that mess. I sent the Race Face Aeffect back to Fox for RMA. We'll see what comes of it. I went out and purchased a Shimano XT crank in the meantime. Works great. Might just keep running it when/if the RF comes back.

And, yeah, it doesn't make much sense to go the Cane Creek way for that kind of money. I just need a crank that's easy to maintain. Seems like the XT might be just that.

• Like 1