IGNORED

Tesla in Austin

mack_turtle

10 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

The value of the homes in my neighborhood have been consistently going up, and listing time has shrunk to a sellers market rate since the news came out. Something I thought I wouldn't see. 

Happy boy...

...until you get your increased property tax bill!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TAF said:

Guess you don't live where we do. We're at $15K / yr and climbing steadily. Won't be long before we build that house in Colorado, I guess.

Out values are climbing quickly, along with everyone else's property taxes. Ours, are not climbing. 

1 minute ago, TheX said:

We applied for, and received a homestead exemption when my wife turned 65. Where we are our property taxes have been permanently frozen and will not go up. 

Right. Where we are, the same will happen. By then, since we are a decade younger, they will be well north of $20k annually. So we will be gone.

32 minutes ago, TAF said:

Right. Where we are, the same will happen. By then, since we are a decade younger, they will be well north of $20k annually. So we will be gone.

Yeah, we live far enough out that things happened more slowly here. $20K a year is INSANE!

I’ve been at the 10% annual increase limit every single year since I bought my house in 02. Protest it every few years just to make sure I keep them honest, but I’m permanently fucked it seems for another decade.

And as any FYI, the 65 freeze is a county by county deal. Where my in-laws retired on the coast there is no cap. All the equity is in the rentals and homes of the retirees. The natives mostly live below the homestead exemption so they screw the old folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

My appraisal value has gone up almost $100k since they, and others announced plans to relocate to Austin. As far as I'm concerned, that goofy bastard can come take a shit on my lawn if it means I get paid.

Technically you pay more in taxes because of that higher appraisal, you only realize that gain when you sell. Hopefully it won’t crater between now and when you sell. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Technically you pay more in taxes because of that higher appraisal, you only realize that gain when you sell. Hopefully it won’t crater between now and when you sell. 

Fully aware and counting on it. Plan is that whatever we end up paying extra in property taxes will be well worth it in the end game.

Trying best to be out before midterm shit show. 

Edited by ATXZJ

• 7 months later...

https://www.kut.org/business/2021-10-07/tesla-says-its-moving-its-headquarters-to-austin

The electric carmaker Tesla is moving its headquarters to Austin, CEO Elon Musk announced Thursday at a factory under construction in Southeastern Travis County.

"Our factory is like five minutes from the airport, 15 minutes from downtown, and we're going to create an ecological paradise here because we're out on the Colorado River," Musk said at an annual shareholder event. "It's going to be great."

The company displayed a Texas-themed logo immediately after Musk's announcement with a lone star emblazoned on a belt-buckle-shaped oval and the words, "Don't Mess With" under the company's T symbol.

screen-shot-2021-10-07-at-5.55.57%20PM.p

Tesla displayed a Texas-themed logo as CEO Elon Musk announced the company was moving its headquarters to Austin.
Austin Mayor Steve Adler welcomed the move, saying Tesla "fits right in."

"It's a tech company that creates the clean manufacturing, middle-skill jobs Austin needs," he said in a statement.

Musk threatened last year to move the company out of Fremont, Calif., in part because of Alameda County's COVID restrictions. Despite the earlier threat to move all manufacturing to Texas or Nevada, Musk said Thursday that's not the company's intention.

"This is not a matter of Tesla leaving California," he said. "Our intention is actually to increase output from Fremont and from [Tesla's Nevada factory] by 50%."

It's unclear what the Tesla move will mean for a region that has seen an influx of new residents during the pandemic, helping to drive up housing prices and rents. Musk indicated housing prices in California have limited the company's ability to grow.

"It's tough for people to afford houses and a lot of people have to come in from far away," he said. "There's a limit to how big you can scale in the Bay Area."

Musk also disclosed that he was in Austin during the February winter storm.

"I was actually ... in a house with no electric, no power, no heating, no internet, couldn't actually even get to a food store," he said. "That went on for several days."

• Haha 2

My company (a freakin' Berkshire Hathaway owned company) is literally moving to Broken Arrow, OK next year because they can't afford the rising employee and real estate costs in Austin. And he's coming here because it's cheaper. What a world. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 3