IGNORED

water fountains at VCT 290 entrance

FYI, there are some nice water fountains at the 290 VCT entrance (Spec's/ Brodie Lane) to Barton Creek Greenbelt, but they have been turned off due to COVID-19. I appreciate the caution, but it seems like a silly over-reaction. by the way those fountains operate, there seems to be zero ways that the fountains could spread disease. the fountain shoots water up in an arc and drains at the ground. don't count on refilling there.

I contacted Hill Country Conservancy to see if they are willing to turn them back on, but does anyone else know who makes that decision? is it PARD?

I have not gone looking- are drinking fountains in all the parks also turned off? do I have to start wearing a dreaded backpack again?

I contacted VCT and they said that people "breathe on the fountain" so they had to shut it down. don't people breathe all over the trail in the woods? should be expect everyone to hold their breath the whole time they hike?

this is not my first interaction with Hill Country Conservancy in which they have behaved irrationally and totally disregarded user feedback. 

Edited by mack_turtle

46 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have not gone looking- are drinking fountains in all the parks also turned off? 

Only other data point I can provide you is that as of a week (10 days?) ago all of the fountains were working down by the town lake bridge under Mopac.  The one near Austin High School.  I've been by there at least 3x's this past month (but not within the week) and they've been operable.  

Later,
CJB

• Thanks 1

Veloway fountains are on. I think they were off for a while. I don't really use them much but I was pretty hot the other day and took a chance and they worked. Bonus points for being too eager inhaling some of the water and coughing all over the place for the next 5 minutes.

I've used the showerhead at the townlake trail trailhead to refill my bottles.  I would have died with out that, or forced to go into a convenience store.

As to hygiene and water fountains, those with young kids know...they don't drink the water out of the air...  Kids are gross even in their teenage years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Does your multi tool not fit the valve?

I'll try that tonight. I didn't even think to check, but it probably requires a weird proprietary tool.

Edit: I checked and couldn't even find the shut-off control. It's none of my business to be messing with it. I topped off my water bottle at Gaines Creek Neighborhood Park instead. There's a working drinking fountain at the main entrance.

Edited by mack_turtle