IGNORED

Saharan Dust

I did a road ride and several hours and it didn’t bother me. It was like a light fog in the distance. I’m sure it’s some sort of killer dust or something but I needed a ride so I braved it. In fact, I’m going out again here in a bit. Trails are probably still either too wet or too crowded so I’ll explore some urban paths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I rode pretty much everything at Brushy yesterday and the trails were not wet at all but down south it may be different. The dust was not a problem but the humidity was 98% at 7am yesterday.  I'm hoping that this afternoonwill be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

Curious if anybody actually got out and rode in this stuff yesterday. Supposed to be better today, and since the temps are cooler as well, I might try to get out for an evening ride tonight. 

I rode for an hour and a half yesterday and didnt notice anything, except that Im very out of shape and sucked wind. Maybe it was due to the dust..

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 2

Didn't rode Saturday but I was out and about for a bit. My lungs felt all cruddy. Rode SATN this morning with a disposable mask to keep some of the dust out. It was not as miserable as I expected. Rode at a chill pace and the cloud cover and breeze made it perfectly tolerable.

• Like 2

I avoided riding yesterday mostly b/c the heat index was 96°F by 1pm or so.  We rode Friday and it seemed fine.  I suffer from exercise induced asthma in dry conditions (really hot or really cold weather) and didn't seem to be put off while riding, but I've definitely been waking up super congested the last 2-3 days.  I usually avoid riding outside in days when 2.5um particles are high.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, notyal said:

It'll be worse riding through the swarms of locusts whenever they get here. 

Bring an inflatable life preserver with an integrated bug net. That way you're protected from the locusts and the floods.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Great! Only the fire and brimstone to worry about now.

Take the $9.99 upgrade to get asbestos lined mosquito netting with the life preserver. Perhaps include some copper wiring for a mobile Faraday cage to withstand lightning strikes. 

I think I need to start an End of the World business.

• Like 1

Darn murder hornets.  

Did about 20 urban miles yesterday and it was OK, except half of it was straight into a brisk headwind that turned into a nice little push on the way home.  Lungs seem OK, but def some vague, weird sinus-y stuff. 

The wind stirring stuff up is not helping. 

Same. The dust storms in NM were awful apocalyptic bastards to deal with.

NM DUST.jpg

But the micro-fine particles we've been breathing the last few days has the wife and I feeling it at night.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, notyal said:

Great! Only the fire and brimstone to worry about now.

I hope no volcanoes get any ideas.  This time of year I bookmark InciWeb to check out forest fires and the NOAA's National Hurricane Center page to keep track of hurricanes.

Numerous fires just north and east of Phoenix in the Gila Mtns are incinerating southern AZ. The Kaibab Plateau (north of the Grand Canyon) is getting hit hard by the Magnum Fire: 71,450 acres, only 63% contained.  

25 minutes ago, notyal said:

After spending several years in Lubbock, I have to say that my perspective of dust storms must not be the same as most.

I visited my stepdaughter when she was in grad school in Lubbock.  Very quick learning curve to park the rental car so the driver's side door was downwind. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2