IGNORED

Saharan Dust

After spending several years in Lubbock, I have to say that my perspective of dust storms must not be the same as most. I was expecting something more like this:
a3fe6642-f93c-4851-aa12-6c80abcaacd0-large3x4_LubbockTexas.JPG?1559777803454

I grew up in Plainview, just north of Lubbock. This dust storm wasn’t shit. It didn’t even rain mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

PM2.5 (2.5um particles) forecast has been high the last few days.  These go deeper into your lungs than larger particles from dust and such.  If you have asthma or are feeling less than 100% on days like these, I recommend subscribing to the TCEQ daily AQI e-mail https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/monops/ozone_email.html

I'll be riding the trainer today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some family that lived in Saudia Arabia for 20 plus years. They are in Phoenix area now.

They found the "dust" we had laughable.

Matter of prospective I reckon.

Kind of like the Swedish guys on my team complaining about their 78 degree heatwave a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

In Western Michigan it used to be that 91°F was a hot day.  I think they got 3 days in the 90's all summer.  Most of the time it was in the 75-80°F range.  Also, in the spring, once temps climbed into the 50's out came the flip-flops and shorts.

Yeah, went to college in Bellingham, WA, 20 minutes from the Canadian Border. when 50+ Spring qtr hit everyone was sunbathing in the lawns in swim suits. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cafeend said:

My hot flashing wife has some choice terms for me , but I've been called worse

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My biggest advice is ceiling fans, smart switches and an Amazon Echo.

Alexa, turn on the front fan.

30 seconds later 

Alexa, turn off the front fan

Lather, rinse, repeat - about 30 times a night. Never have to get up off the couch.

Trust me, I've been with my wife since the late 80's and she's never loved me more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Dang. I'm such a wimp anymore.
If it hits 70 at night when we walk our dogs , I am wearing a hoody.
My hot flashing wife has some choice terms for me , but I've been called worse

some people must be cold-natured. if the temp is above 60, I can't stand to wear anything but a t-shirt and shorts. I might tolerate jeans. I am always shocked to see people riding bikes in my neighborhood wearing a full winter parka when it's below 80. I would die.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

some people must be cold-natured. if the temp is above 60, I can't stand to wear anything but a t-shirt and shorts. I might tolerate jeans. I am always shocked to see people riding bikes in my neighborhood wearing a full winter parka when it's below 80. I would die.

Same. Spent too many years in the high rockies to adjust back to texas heat. I deal with it but prefer to be in a cooler climate. The first year in utah I was a parka guy and the locals just made fun of me, so i had to adapt. Spent the second year wearing shorts year round. Rain, sun, snow didn't matter, always shorts. Just got used to it and now living back here it's pretty brutal for about 9-10 months. Probably wear pants a dozen or so times a year and thats just on the holidays/special 🤣

Perfect weather for us was always when it was sunny in the 50s. Damn...miss that sometimes

I'm the opposite. Born and bred in south Texas and got to work on a dairy farm each summer as a kid. Riding a bike in 100 degree heat is a walk in the park compared to post holing fence lines and baling hay in a 120 degree barn gulf of Mexico humidity and dust everywhere.

I'm all wrapped up in clothing when it gets below 65. We had those days a couple weeks ago with some 65 degree, low humidity mornings and I nearly froze riding at 6am until I warmed up from exercise. I don't know how folks can do it in northern winters. I love snowboarding but I'm wearing about 8 million layers and once it goes below about 15 degrees, I'm out. There aren't enough layers in the world to keep me warm from that crap. I was waiting for the bus from Frisco to Keystone one morning and it was -6 and my fucking eyelashes were freezing. I went to bar and drank all day instead of boarding.

I'll will take Texas heat over a northern winter every single time. Fuck that shit. I'm talking to you Mr. Polar Vortex that makes my life miserable in winter down here every few years.

Edited by quixoft

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

I'm the opposite. Born and bred in south Texas and got to work on a dairy farm each summer as a kid. Riding a bike in 100 degree heat is a walk in the park compared to post holing fence lines and baling hay in a 120 degree barn gulf of Mexico humidity and dust everywhere.

I'm all wrapped up in clothing when it gets below 65. We had those days a couple weeks ago with some 65 degree, low humidity mornings and I nearly froze riding at 6am until I warmed up from exercise. I don't know how folks can do it in northern winters. I love snowboarding but I'm wearing about 8 million layers and once it goes below about 15 degrees, I'm out. There aren't enough layers in the world to keep me warm from that crap. I was waiting for the bus from Frisco to Keystone one morning and it was -6 and my fucking eyelashes were freezing. I went to bar and drank all day instead of boarding.

I'll will take Texas heat over a northern winter every single time. Fuck that shit. I'm talking to you Mr. Polar Vortex that makes my life miserable in winter down here every few years.

Same here. Bring on the Texas heat! I'll gladly take 100+ degree summers for a mild winter. The one exception would be if I could be in the mountains and get some skiing in. I still hate the cold, but sliding on the snow is fun. Mountain biking is a very good replacement, though. I can't imagine living in a place that is flat and cold like the midwest or [shutter] New York City. 

• Like 2

I've gone from back and forth through my life as far as heat and cold.

I was born in Rochester, NY but lived there for only 3 years.  We then moved to San Luis Potosi.  Mile high desert colonial city.  About as perfect weather as you can have pretty much year round.  Then we moved to Monterrey.  Surrounded by mountains, very dry, very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter, crazy winds (and dust) in March.   We had no AC in our cars and houses only had a window unit in each bedroom.  This is where I grew up riding my BMX bike up and down steep roads.  I don't remember feeling hot while playing outside any time of the year.  I do remember feeling hot when we had to drive somewhere with no AC and vinyl seats in 40-45°C temps.  I spent summers with my cousins in what is essentially a super-heated soup bowl.  0ft elevation inland surrounded by mountains, humid temps to as high 54°C in the shade every few years but routinely in the 40's (°C)

Back to San Antonio and I think too much air conditioning everywhere softened me.  I remember miserable two-a-day football workouts in August in San Antonio.  That was brutal.  I loved the cold.  I wanted to move back up north.  I was not riding much at this point even though I had a sweet all-white Kuwahara flatlands bike.  Once I got to UT, I eventually ended up with a Univega MTB, and I don't even remember how I met the crew I rode with but we'd ride from Jester to BCGB and Bull Creek all the time.  I don't remember feeling hot either but I do remember struggling with hydration and nutrition.  I used to do 50/50 orange or apple juice & water with salt and that kept me from cramping up.  I still wanted to move up north.  Then my parents moved to Grand Rapids, MI, and I spent one Christmas there.  

4ft of lake effect in 24 hours and my dad's snow blower died.  That cured me of wanting to move up north.  Digging the car out, brushing snow off the car to go to the store, brushing snow and scraping ice off the car when coming out of the store.  F that!

Every year I know I have to for 2 weeks endure the heat at least 5 times a week at the end of spring for me to get acclimated.  Then low 90's becomes comfortable, dry upper 90's is bearable.  I also ride in cold and wet conditions but I've had to build up my gear and knowledge.  

• Like 1

Went to college in Madison, WI after going to high school in Singapore, what an awful transition. We had record breaking snowfall my freshman year. My parents gave me money to buy supplies and clothes, obviously I spent it all on beers and party favors. All I had was a sweatshirt. It started snowing in October. I barely left my dorm that winter and got made fun of a lot. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, quixoft said:

More coincidences, where'd you grow up?  I lived in Alice TX until I was 15 yrs old.

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Same here. Bring on the Texas heat! I'll gladly take 100+ degree summers for a mild winter. The one exception would be if I could be in the mountains and get some skiing in. I still hate the cold, but sliding on the snow is fun. Mountain biking is a very good replacement, though. I can't imagine living in a place that is flat and cold like the midwest or [shutter] New York City. 

Yep, this is me all day...I don't have any real problems with the heat.  I prefer it.  I love rolling out in the morning when its warm and l-o-a-t-h-e rolling out when its cold.  

My ideal would be winters here (or AZ?) and then summers in Oregon.

Later,
CJB

I spent most of my life someplace between Chicago and Indianapolis. the cold can be one thing, but the two worst things about cold weather are driving in snow and the DRYNESS. my hands would get so dry that my knuckles with crack open and bleed, no matter how much hand creme I used, no matter the brand. as miserable as Texas heat is, if you can stay indoors in AC, it's just fine with me. working in a building with no AC, however, is soul-sucking.

52 minutes ago, rockshins said:

Went to college in Madison, WI after going to high school in Singapore, what an awful transition. We had record breaking snowfall my freshman year. My parents gave me money to buy supplies and clothes, obviously I spent it all on beers and party favors. All I had was a sweatshirt. It started snowing in October. I barely left my dorm that winter and got made fun of a lot. 

If you drink enough beer, the cold no longer bothers you.  You just didn't drink enough beer (and that's saying something for a UW student!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CBaron said:

More coincidences, where'd you grow up?  I lived in Alice TX until I was 15 years old. 

Grew up in San Antonio. Spent summers on my grandparent's farm near Karnes City.  Free daycare for my parents during summer and free labor for my grandparents!

47 minutes ago, CBaron said:

My ideal would be winters here (or AZ?) and then summers in Oregon.

Same here!  I think I'd stay in Austin for the winters.  My brother lives in Hillsboro, OR.  We've gone North, East and West from the Portland area, but haven't gone to Bend yet.  But it looks epic!