IGNORED

Saharan Dust

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

I went to Clark.  Gucci Bowl!

52 minutes ago, JMR said:

I grew up in San Antonio as well. I went to Churchill.

Dang this is almost comical...I went to Churchill too....class of 90'

I might still have a Gucci Bowl shirt stuffed in a box some where.  LOL

-CJB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

If you drink enough beer, the cold no longer bothers you.  You just didn't drink enough beer (and that's saying something for a UW student!

Beer works in warm weather too. Have you ever drank a beer on the beach? Case closed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

If you drink enough beer, the cold no longer bothers you.  You just didn't drink enough beer (and that's saying something for a UW student!

Hah, I think I did pretty well in that department. Parents came to surprise visit me at the dorm one day, however I had been kicked out for having too much fun. But I had a friends couch, a sweatshirt and enough beer money.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

In Western Michigan it used to be that 91°F was a hot day.  I think they got 3 days in the 90's all summer.  Most of the time it was in the 75-80°F range.  Also, in the spring, once temps climbed into the 50's out came the flip-flops and shorts.

Doesn't Western Michigan University have underground tunnels because of all the snow they receive?

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

I went to school in Ithaca, NY. SCREW the cold! I would rather sweat my nads off 30 days in a row than have cold toes for an hour. I got a great education there...I learned I would NEVER live up north.

Spent 2 years in Albany, NY. Winters were long and miserable. When I complained, the locals would bring up the beauty of having 4 seasons, pointing out that in Texas there were only 2 - hot and hotter. I would counter that they too only had 2 seasons - winter and construction.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throet said:

Spent 2 years in Albany, NY. Winters were long and miserable. When I complained, the locals would bring up the beauty of having 4 seasons, pointing out that in Texas there were only 2 - hot and hotter. I would counter that they too only had 2 seasons - winter and construction.  

We had a huge snowball fight on Halloween one year.  Once it snowed, the ground stayed covered until spring. Usually after Easter. That is just crazy.

Four seasons my ass! Not exactly balanced those seasons. Winter lasts seven months. I'll take our seven month summers over that thank you very much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Marshall. Lived right next to OP Schnabel park and hacked out a lot of those trails in the 80s.

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

Dang this is almost comical...I went to Churchill too....class of 90'

I might still have a Gucci Bowl shirt stuffed in a box some where.  LOL

-CJB

Nice. Macarthur dirtbag here

Can still taste those taco nortenos at los palapas across the street from churchill hs. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, The Tip said:

We had a huge snowball fight on Halloween one year.  Once it snowed, the ground stayed covered until spring. Usually after Easter. That is just crazy.

Four seasons my ass! Not exactly balanced those seasons. Winter lasts seven months. I'll take our seven month summers over that thank you very much.

I remember on Halloween having to put winter coats over our kids' costumes. I will say that I enjoyed the incredible Fall Foliage displays, but not to the degree that I would ever want to stay there year around. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Nice. Macarthur dirtbag here

Can still taste those taco nortenos at los palapas across the street from churchill hs. 

People around here think Rudy's is local...I've been eating at the OG location since 91' in Lean Springs.

My parents are still in SA and I frequent there pretty often.  If I bring my MTB, then I can ride over to McAllister Park from my mom's house.

I remember when 1604 was a 2 lane road near out house....Stone Oak Pkway had a freaking STOP SIGN on 1604.

Cheers to all of you from the Alamo City
-CJB

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Cheers to all of you from the Alamo City

My son graduated from UTSA and had no interest in leaving SA after that. Works for USAA now and seems to really enjoy it there. I've always liked SA. Used to be a racquetball mecca back in the 80s and I often headed down there from San Marcos to play in tournaments while attending SWTSU. Buried my Dad there too at the National Cemetery after he died at Audie L Murphy. I've never had a bad thing to say about SA. 

EDIT: I'm a huge Rockets' fan and I do hate the Spurs! 

Edited by throet
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

Marshall. Lived right next to OP Schnabel park and hacked out a lot of those trails in the 80s.

I went to Earl Rudder M.S. before my parents moved to the Hobby M.S. area so a lot of my friends went to Marshall (including V.J. Villareal).

2 minutes ago, throet said:

My son graduated from UTSA and had no interest in leaving SA after that. Works for USAA now and seems to really enjoy it there. I've always liked SA. Used to be a racquetball mecca back in the 80s and I often headed down there from San Marcos to play in tournaments while attending SWTSU. Buried my Dad there too at the National Cemetery after he died at Audie L Murphy. I've never had a bad thing to say about SA. 

There was nothing north of De Zavala road except UTSA.  I do remember 1604 was 2-lane and devoid of anything until you got to Judson H.S.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

There was nothing north of De Zavala road except UTSA.  I do remember 1604 was 2-lane and devoid of anything until you got to Judson H.S.

"the death loop"

😁

Had friends that lived on hausman road when it was NOTHING but farmland and hills and dales. Drove through there last NOV on the way to bandera and its like another planet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

"the death loop"

😁

I knew a girl when I was in elementary school who was hit by a car on “the death loop”. I grew up in Hollywood Park. I remember when stone oak wasn’t there. Looks totally different now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JMR said:

I knew a girl when I was in elementary school who was hit by a car on “the death loop”. I grew up in Hollywood Park. I remember when stone oak wasn’t there. Looks totally different now. 

when were you there? I was off thousand oaks in the late 80s through early 90s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JMR said:

Dang! Small world. I was there from June 1980 till I graduated in ‘94

nice.

we used to skate that old 281/thousand oaks albertsons shopping center and a parking garage across the street till the cops ran us off. absolute chaos ....lol

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

nice.

we used to skate that old 281/thousand oaks albertsons shopping center and a parking garage across the street till the cops ran us off. absolute chaos ....lol

My sister worked at that Albertsons! ‘90-92ish

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JMR said:

I grew up in Hollywood Park. I remember when stone oak wasn’t there. Looks totally different now. 

Holy crap this is getting strange.  I grew up in Hollywood Park, my mom still lives there (and as you already know I graduated 90').  We've had to overlap at some points.

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

nice.

More of the same!  We used to skate down 281 (in the road) before the freeway was built.  We'd end up at 281/Thousand Oaks just being punks.  You're talking about the parking garage that had a bank at the bottom floor where the tellers(?) had a window that protruded out under the garage.  I skater buddy of mine through a bag of literal crapola off the garage and onto the bank windows.  Later on, once the freeway was built and all the tunnels were opened up under the Albertson's parking lot we would go hang out in them (and light fireworks off up through the grates [into the parking lot above])  Lastly, we would get tired, and it would get late, and we would hitchhike home from that same corner.  Man we got into some sketchy cars...

What a trip down memory lane.

Later,
CJB

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JMR said:

My sister worked at that Albertsons! ‘90-92ish

I would go into that Albertson's with my mom's grocery list (on Friday afternoons) and put all the list of stuff into the shopping cart.  Then I'd load up a 12 pack of beer.  I'd place all the numerous items onto the conveyer and most of the checkers wouldn't bat an eye.  My theory was that they figured I was mature enough to do "grocery shopping" then I was mature enough to buy beer (while I was only 17).  Or maybe, they just didn't want to have to put all that crap back into stock.  Whatever the reason, it worked often.

Funny stuff.
CJB

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Holy crap this is getting strange.  I grew up in Hollywood Park, my mom still lives there (and as you already know I graduated 90').  We've had to overlap at some points.

Yeah. This is weird! My folks moved from HP in 92. I wish my mom still had that house. We lived on the same street as the pool. Used to go down there and crawl under the fence and mess around on the golf course. I’m sure we knew some of the same people!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CBaron said:

I would go into that Albertson's with my mom's grocery list (on Friday afternoons) and put all the list of stuff into the shopping cart.  Then I'd load up a 12 pack of beer.  I'd place all the numerous items onto the conveyer and most of the checkers wouldn't bat an eye.  My theory was that they figured I was mature enough to do "grocery shopping" then I was mature enough to buy beer (while I was only 17).  Or maybe, they just didn't want to have to put all that crap back into stock.  Whatever the reason, it worked often.

Funny stuff.
CJB

11 hours ago, CBaron said:

More of the same!  We used to skate down 281 (in the road) before the freeway was built.  We'd end up at 281/Thousand Oaks just being punks.  You're talking about the parking garage that had a bank at the bottom floor where the tellers(?) had a window that protruded out under the garage.  I skater buddy of mine through a bag of literal crapola off the garage and onto the bank windows.  Later on, once the freeway was built and all the tunnels were opened up under the Albertson's parking lot we would go hang out in them (and light fireworks off up through the grates [into the parking lot above])  Lastly, we would get tired, and it would get late, and we would hitchhike home from that same corner.  Man we got into some sketchy cars...

What a trip down memory lane.

Later,
CJB

Definitely a small world! We were serious skater trash/vandals so we had to of crossed paths at some point. 

Also remember 281 being 2 lane up to thousand oaks or somewhere. In the early 80s we lived off highway 46 by dry comal creek vineyards and would go into san antonio that way. Totally changed now and is kinda depressing. 

As I recall those tunnels were corrugated metal and you couldn't skate(?) We traveled all around san antonio and surrounding areas looking for the best spots to ride. Before I could drive we'd ride around in my buddy's s10 who worked at fajita junction on thousand oaks/henderson pass. He used to deliver food (& drugs) and we'd ride in the bed on his runs so we didn't have to walk. That albertsons center had a perfect handrail for beginners in front of the old solo serve. Just the right height. There was also some giant round pink rails in front of a bank by the target on 281/bitters for learning as well. Can't tell you how many stairwells I ate shit on trying to learn boardslides. 

Honestly don't know how I survived those days🤣

**Yes the dust is getting to everyone in the house now. My youngest has been out on a couple rides with me this week and is all congested now.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3