IGNORED

Oh Boy. Time to buy a new bike. Looking for opinions

Hope everyone had a safe and relatively fun holiday weekend.

So I'm slowing narrowing in on a new bike. I'm currently riding a 2016 Diamondback Catch 2 (Fox 34, RS Monarch R, GX 11spd that I upgraded to a GX 12spd, Guide R brakes - $2,000). It's an ok bike. Definitely punches above its weight in relation to what I paid for it. We've had a good 3,500 miles, 2 EBs and 1 dragon slayer together but I think its time to move onto something a little nicer.

I've got three bikes in mind for my new ride. I've got my heart set on a medium travel full suspension with a carbon frame and 29ers. My budget is in the $5,000-$6,000 range but I'm trying to stay closer to the lower end. 

Well, without further ado, here are my top three (not in a particular order):

Yeti SB130 C1 (Fox 36 & DPX2, GX groupo, Guide R brakes) - $5,399

• Pros:
    • Great climber
    • Fairly light weight for its price class
    • Love the signature Yeti Turquoise color
  • Cons:
    • Yetis are not the best value. You are definitely paying extra for the switch infinity as a trade off for some lesser components
      • Not crazy about Guide R brakes.
      • DT Swiss M-1900 wheelset isn't bad but isn't great.
    • Do I really want to be a part of the "Tribe"?
  • Other notes: I've demoed the predecessor to the SB130, the SB5, in Colorado. It was an amazing bike. Climbed like a mountain goat, was a monster on the descents and was comfortable over 30 miles. I'd imagine that the SB130 is no different.

Ibis Ripmo SLX (Fox 36 & DPX2, SLX groupo, SLX 4 pot brakes) - $5,199

• Pros:
    • Another great climber
    • Also light weight for its price class
    • Solid component line-up
  • Cons: 
    • IDK. I guess I don't like the placement of the water bottle mounts
  • Other notes: I've demoved a V1 ripmo in Idaho. Another amazing and comfortable bike.

Santa Cruz Hightower C S (RS Lyrik & Super Deluxe, GX groupo, Code R brakes) - $5,199

• Pros:
    • Can't go wrong with the VPP platform
    • Best component line-up of the three
    • Love the highland blue color
    • Great water bottle mount placement
  • Cons:
    • A bit on the heavier side 
    • DT Swiss 370 hubs are the weak point of this bike
  • Other notes: Have not demoed this bike yet but I've got one reserved for my trip to Tahoe in late August. 

So there you have it. What would you pick? I'm open to other options but I'm weary of buying a bike without being able to ride it out on the trails first. I did that with my current diamondback and have found that after 20 miles my lower back starts to hurt. Did not have that issue when I demoed the Yeti and Ibis, and hopefully the highetower will be the same when I demo it in August!

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 2

I think you need to talk to Wes at Motorangutan and see what he has in your size to demo.

I did all the spreadsheets, did all the math, checked every single figure and then he introduced me to something not even on my list. The credit card was swiped very soon after the demo and I was real happy.

The only thing I don't like about the Yeti is that funky double shock thing in the middle of the rear suspension. Looks proprietary. Looks expensive. Looks like one of those things that will fail at the worst possible time - and be on shortage/backorder when you need a replacement.

Everyone I know with a Ripmo loves it. Wes has them.

I liked the Hightower and SC has a good warranty.

I have the DT-Swiss M1900 wheels on my bike. They are find but they are also the first thing on my list to replace if I ever get the itch.

• Like 1

X2 on the ripmo out the ones listed.

Will throw a couple into the mix that might be an option. Canfield suspension platforms are pretty freaking dialed.

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/rascal/

Currently have a high pivot bike and can say it's the fastest thing ive owned. The hype is real.

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Edited by ATXZJ
forgot druid

Have you considered picking up a frame/fork and building it up how you want it possibly using some of your existing parts?  I went that direction because every stock build I looked at ended with a list of upgrades so I finally elected to build exactly what I wanted.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything on your list, the Revel looks like a sweet bike and I think the blue is gorgeous.   I ended up going with an SB130LR and I absolutely love it. Climbing traction in the chunky stuff is incredible, if you liked the SB5 I think you'll feel the same with the SB130 but again everything on your list is going to be good.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I think you need to talk to Wes at Motorangutan and see what he has in your size to demo.

I've seen the name Wes over at Velo/Motorangutan mentioned quite a few times on this fourm. As soon as I've gotten back from my Tahoe trip I'll be sure to give him a call, credit card in hand. 🙂

Edited by WLemke

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

X2 on the ripmo out the ones listed.

Will throw a couple into the mix that might be an option. Canfield suspension platforms are pretty freaking dialed.

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/rascal/

Currently have a high pivot bike and can say it's the fastest thing ive owned. The hype is real.

https://us.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Thanks for the additional recs. I'm leaning towards the Hightower right now simply due to ascetics, but I think that the Ripmo is probably the most logical choice of the three I listed. 

I see that Velorangutan has revels. I'll be sure to demo one if possible.

Wow. That druid has some serious value for the price. XT components. Fox performance elite fork and shock. DT Swiss 350 hubs. Seems to have a similar geometry to the Hightower as well. The chain guide is a bit interesting. I'm going to have to research that a bit more.

39 minutes ago, Txduc said:

Have you considered picking up a frame/fork and building it up how you want it possibly using some of your existing parts?  I went that direction because every stock build I looked at ended with a list of upgrades so I finally elected to build exactly what I wanted.

Not an option unfortunately. My current bike is a 27.5 and I really want a 29er for my next bike. My first bike was a POS GT hardtail 29er. Not a great bike overall, but I loved the rollover of the 29s. Looking forward to getting that back with a much better bike.

My plan is to sell my current bike and get an aggressive hardtail in its place. Of course right now is a great time to sell a bike, but I would potentially be bikeless for a little while which is not worth the extra couple hundred dollars I may get by selling during the summer. 

6 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Thanks for the additional recs. I'm leaning towards the Hightower right now simply due to ascetics, but I think that the Ripmo is probably the most logical choice of the three I listed. 

I see that Velorangutan has revels. I'll be sure to demo one if possible.

Wow. That druid has some serious value for the price. XT components. Fox performance elite fork and shock. DT Swiss 350 hubs. Seems to have a similar geometry to the Hightower as well. The chain guide is a bit interesting. I'm going to have to research that a bit more.

Thatd be cool if you could demo the revel

Yeah, I was surprised by the complete druid price as well. A guy I know has bought and sold just about every boutique carbon wonderbike and said the druid has been a game changer for him.

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/forbidden-bike-co-druid-1100788.html

Edited by ATXZJ

If I was in town, I'd offer you a demo on my Ripmo V1. So, yeah X3 on the recommendations for that bike. LOVE it. And the water bottle location is fine, at least it's inside the triangle protected from trail junk. With a side loading cage it's NBD. It seriously climbs amazing for being able to handle the chunk that it does. If you're looking for mid travel though, the Ibis Ripley is basically a more nimble Ripmo.

Next I would recommend checking out the Revel Rascal. It has a LOT in common with the Ripmo handling wise. I demo'd one in Bentonville and it was super sweet. I would imagine it doing exceptionally well here. My demo honestly had me second guessing the Ripmo frame I had on order at the time. Again, I'm in love with the Ibis, but part of me wonders what could have been.

The VPP linkage does not climb as well as either of these two bikes IMHO. It's a little too active. I had a Blur LT before my current ride and have demo'd the 5010 and Tallboy. They're great bikes, and they gobble up chunk. But I had to rely too much on the climb switch when going up. I pretty much leave the Ripmo's X2 wide open all the time.

Click the link in my signature and tell me you don't like the aesthetics 😛

2 hours ago, Txduc said:

I don't think you can go wrong with anything on your list, the Revel looks like a sweet bike and I think the blue is gorgeous.   I ended up going with an SB130LR and I absolutely love it. Climbing traction in the chunky stuff is incredible, if you liked the SB5 I think you'll feel the same with the SB130 but again everything on your list is going to be good.

And if you want to go the frame/fork route you can come to our site and play around with the build-up.  You can also track parts and pricing from various retailers via pricing alerts.  Right now with so much product being out of stock, the pricing alerts can be a pretty useful tool to grabbing good deals and actually getting it (when in comes available)

https://cyclingbuilder.com

Later,
CJB

17 hours ago, WLemke said:

Hope everyone had a safe and relatively fun holiday weekend.

So I'm slowing narrowing in on a new bike. I'm currently riding a 2016 Diamondback Catch 2 (Fox 34, RS Monarch R, GX 11spd that I upgraded to a GX 12spd, Guide R brakes - $2,000). It's an ok bike. Definitely punches above its weight in relation to what I paid for it. We've had a good 3,500 miles, 2 EBs and 1 dragon slayer together but I think its time to move onto something a little nicer.

I've got three bikes in mind for my new ride. I've got my heart set on a medium travel full suspension with a carbon frame and 29ers. My budget is in the $5,000-$6,000 range but I'm trying to stay closer to the lower end. 

Well, without further ado, here are my top three (not in a particular order):

Yeti SB130 C1 (Fox 36 & DPX2, GX groupo, Guide R brakes) - $5,399

• Pros:
    • Great climber
    • Fairly light weight for its price class
    • Love the signature Yeti Turquoise color
  • Cons:
    • Yetis are not the best value. You are definitely paying extra for the switch infinity as a trade off for some lesser components
      • Not crazy about Guide R brakes.
      • DT Swiss M-1900 wheelset isn't bad but isn't great.
    • Do I really want to be a part of the "Tribe"?
  • Other notes: I've demoed the predecessor to the SB130, the SB5, in Colorado. It was an amazing bike. Climbed like a mountain goat, was a monster on the descents and was comfortable over 30 miles. I'd imagine that the SB130 is no different.

Ibis Ripmo SLX (Fox 36 & DPX2, SLX groupo, SLX 4 pot brakes) - $5,199

• Pros:
    • Another great climber
    • Also light weight for its price class
    • Solid component line-up
  • Cons: 
    • IDK. I guess I don't like the placement of the water bottle mounts
  • Other notes: I've demoved a V1 ripmo in Idaho. Another amazing and comfortable bike.

Santa Cruz Hightower C S (RS Lyrik & Super Deluxe, GX groupo, Code R brakes) - $5,199

• Pros:
    • Can't go wrong with the VPP platform
    • Best component line-up of the three
    • Love the highland blue color
    • Great water bottle mount placement
  • Cons:
    • A bit on the heavier side 
    • DT Swiss 370 hubs are the weak point of this bike
  • Other notes: Have not demoed this bike yet but I've got one reserved for my trip to Tahoe in late August. 

So there you have it. What would you pick? I'm open to other options but I'm weary of buying a bike without being able to ride it out on the trails first. I did that with my current diamondback and have found that after 20 miles my lower back starts to hurt. Did not have that issue when I demoed the Yeti and Ibis, and hopefully the highetower will be the same when I demo it in August!

I personally dont love VPP, there is just a little too much pedal bob for me compared to the ibis dw-link. On the downhills VPP is more plush. In areas where they have extended non tech climbs, locking out the VPP is fine. On our up and down technical trails, locking out is annoying. Because of this I would mainly look at pivot, ibis, and giant (maestro ripped off dw-link). I ended up with a ripmo v1, but am still trying to decide if I like the really steep seat tube angle. There is a lot of weight on my hands.

I would buy a frame and build from scratch using better parts than what you could get on a build. I typically by an older model frame at a discount. For example v1 ripmos were on sale for a while for 2300 at backcountry, which is what I got. 

Also you can build a bike up for a lot less if you are willing to get a used fork from pinkbike.

This is what I did:

Works 1 degree angleset - $70

Used 160mm lyrik - $350

Used I9 torch hubs (I tend to collect these in anticipation of eventual new builds) - $350

chinese carbon rims (xiamen 30mm wide) - $300 (130 each + 50 shipping)

sapim laser spokes from dans comp - $64

XT 1x11 drive train from merlincycles - 250

XT brakes from merlin cycles - 200

one up 210mm dropper - 200 (actually had one, but it didnt have enough travel)

wolftooth lever - 60 (had one but decided to upgrade to the wolftooth)

stem - $40

seat - had one

bar - had one

grips - had some

pedals - had some

tires - had some, but also got some from the pay it forward thread

So about 1900 for parts + whatever for the frame (eg 3K for a ripmo v2, 3.3K for hightower, 3.5K for yeti). Whatever parts you already have decreases the price and you get to recycle parts and save the environment. Even if you dont get a used fork and hubs, the new prices only add about $700 to the build.

i ended up selling my old tallboy LTc for 1800 and an old frame/fork for about 350, the net out was about 2400 for a ripmo v1 full XT build with carbon wheelset.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CBaron said:

And if you want to go the frame/fork route you can come to our site and play around with the build-up.  You can also track parts and pricing from various retailers via pricing alerts.  Right now with so much product being out of stock, the pricing alerts can be a pretty useful tool to grabbing good deals and actually getting it (when in comes available)

https://cyclingbuilder.com

Later,
CJB

Yeah, this is a good option if you are planning to build yourself.

The pros are no compromise. The cons are you are now in control of all of the warranty issues. If you trust yourself, building yourself is a better choice because you get *exactly* what you want, no compromise.

I personally dont love VPP, there is just a little too much pedal bob for me compared to the ibis dw-link. On the downhills VPP is more plush. In areas where they have extended non tech climbs, locking out the VPP is fine. On our up and down technical trails, locking out is annoying. Because of this I would mainly look at pivot, ibis, and giant (maestro ripped off dw-link). I ended up with a ripmo v1, but am still trying to decide if I like the really steep seat tube angle. There is a lot of weight on my hands.
I would buy a frame and build from scratch using better parts than what you could get on a build. I typically by an older model frame at a discount. For example v1 ripmos were on sale for a while for 2300 at backcountry, which is what I got. 
Also you can build a bike up for a lot less if you are willing to get a used fork from pinkbike.
This is what I did:
Works 1 degree angleset - $70
Used 160mm lyrik - $350
Used I9 torch hubs (I tend to collect these in anticipation of eventual new builds) - $350
chinese carbon rims (xiamen 30mm wide) - $300 (130 each + 50 shipping)
sapim laser spokes from dans comp - $64
XT 1x11 drive train from merlincycles - 250
XT brakes from merlin cycles - 200
one up 210mm dropper - 200 (actually had one, but it didnt have enough travel)
wolftooth lever - 60 (had one but decided to upgrade to the wolftooth)
stem - $40
seat - had one
bar - had one
grips - had some
pedals - had some
tires - had some, but also got some from the pay it forward thread
So about 1900 for parts + whatever for the frame (eg 3K for a ripmo v2, 3.3K for hightower, 3.5K for yeti). Whatever parts you already have decreases the price and you get to recycle parts and save the environment. Even if you dont get a used fork and hubs, the new prices only add about $700 to the build.
i ended up selling my old tallboy LTc for 1800 and an old frame/fork for about 350, the net out was about 2400 for a ripmo v1 full XT build with carbon wheelset.

It took me a couple of rides to get fully used to the ripmo, but it wasn’t due to the seat tube angle. I just wasn’t used to such a long wheelbase and 29er wheels (coming from a 26er Blur LT). I almost immediately loved the seat tube angle. I have my seat about level with my grips and it feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X3 on building yourself. The revel is an even better value then as their completes can be a little spendy.

I've done this for years and have been able to build a nicer bike, the way I want it, for a better value. There are places you can go up and places you can go down in quality. You may be a lighter rider and can get away with running a pike instead of a lyrik and dont mind running a cheaper dropper so you can put that money back into a better set of wheels etc. The only way I'd look at complete is if were 30-40% off MSRP.

Not as many discount sales right now as parts are basically selling themselves since the lockdown.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, WLemke said:

Not an option unfortunately. My current bike is a 27.5 and I really want a 29er for my next bike. My first bike was a POS GT hardtail 29er. Not a great bike overall, but I loved the rollover of the 29s. Looking forward to getting that back with a much better bike.

My plan is to sell my current bike and get an aggressive hardtail in its place. Of course right now is a great time to sell a bike, but I would potentially be bikeless for a little while which is not worth the extra couple hundred dollars I may get by selling during the summer. 

That 27.5+ fork on your diamondback catch works just fine with 29 wheels. I also had the 2016 catch 2 and ran 29’s on it for about a year. Another great option for your steel hardtail is to bring your parts over. That’s what I did! Bought a 29 frame but ran my 27.5+ tires on it and it rides awesome. Here is a picture of the catch with 29’s and then the aggressive steel hard tail with the catch’s parts.

C70113E4-D029-4C16-BE01-C5B3E62A7A5A.png

B5387FD4-1C26-45CE-903D-B02DA63EF1E3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the plugs guys!  

I have a fleet of demo bikes you're welcome to take out.  The Ripmos are hard to come by.  I think I have like 30 on order so depending on your size I can see when the next batch is scheduled.

Other great bikes to look at are the Orbea Occam.  I knew this would be a hit when the new model was introduced last year.  It is finally getting a lot of attention by the reviewers.  

https://jeffkendallweed.com/oldest-bike-brand-of-all-time-the-story-of-orbea/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av86gBVBtE

I just picked up Revel bikes and have the Medium Demo up and running.  I should have the large by the end of the month

Nukeproof and Scott are other brands I have available to demo.  However, both companies are completely sold out and bikes won't be available for a couple more months at least.  I'm selling the Nukeproof demos and will replace this fall.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, AustinBike said:

I did all the spreadsheets, did all the math, checked every single figure and then he introduced me to something not even on my list. The credit card was swiped very soon after the demo and I was real happy.

The only thing I don't like about the Yeti is that funky double shock thing in the middle of the rear suspension. Looks proprietary. Looks expensive. Looks like one of those things that will fail at the worst possible time - and be on shortage/backorder when you need a replacement.

Everyone I know with a Ripmo loves it. Wes has them.

I liked the Hightower and SC has a good warranty.

I have the DT-Swiss M1900 wheels on my bike. They are find but they are also the first thing on my list to replace if I ever get the itch.

Does that happen to be the Wes who had Willits bikes?

6 hours ago, xl_cheese said:

Other great bikes to look at are the Orbea Occam.  I knew this would be a hit when the new model was introduced last year.  It is finally getting a lot of attention by the reviewers.  

I can't say enough good things about my Occam, nice long wheelbase. I really liked the seat tube angle, some of the newer bikes are getting really steep and that gives you a feeling like you are over the stem.

Initially I was a little concerned because I did not want to buy a bike that was not as commonly seen on the trails, assuming it was some kind of niche. I was looking at Pivot, Ibis and another brand when I found out that Orbea was bigger than all of them - combined.

So far it has been a great bike. 

7 hours ago, xl_cheese said:

Thanks for the plugs guys!  

I have a fleet of demo bikes you're welcome to take out.  The Ripmos are hard to come by.  I think I have like 30 on order so depending on your size I can see when the next batch is scheduled.

I just picked up Revel bikes and have the Medium Demo up and running.  I should have the large by the end of the month

Nukeproof and Scott are other brands I have available to demo.  However, both companies are completely sold out and bikes won't be available for a couple more months at least.  I'm selling the Nukeproof demos and will replace this fall.  

I'm assuming you are Wes. Howdy!

I'm 5'8" so I typically fit a medium frame. I was originally planning on going with the Ripmo SLX build but I think the XT build would be a better choice in the long run.

I'll reach out to you today to schedule a demo.

28 minutes ago, WLemke said:

I'm assuming you are Wes. Howdy!

I'm 5'8" so I typically fit a medium frame. I was originally planning on going with the Ripmo SLX build but I think the XT build would be a better choice in the long run.

I'll reach out to you today to schedule a demo.

Ripmos are really nice bikes, everyone I know that rides one loves it. In terms of SLX vs. XT, a lot of the difference is in weight. I've been happy with SLX products in the past and they tend to be more of a price performer. Knowing that I will eventually replace drive train components, I am never afraid to go in cheap in that area and replace with higher end as I have to replace broken components.