IGNORED

Oh Boy. Time to buy a new bike. Looking for opinions

2 hours ago, WLemke said:

I'm assuming you are Wes. Howdy!

I'm 5'8" so I typically fit a medium frame. I was originally planning on going with the Ripmo SLX build but I think the XT build would be a better choice in the long run.

I'll reach out to you today to schedule a demo.

I have one Medium Ripmo AF (Aluminum Frame) Demo available to try.  Demos are free, I just require a credit card preauthorization to take it for a few days.  

The next unspoken for Ripmo V2 in Medium I have booked with Ibis is scheduled for September. 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, xl_cheese said:

I have one Medium Ripmo AF (Aluminum Frame) Demo available to try.  Demos are free, I just require a credit card preauthorization to take it for a few days.  

The next unspoken for Ripmo V2 in Medium I have booked with Ibis is scheduled for September. 

Demoed your Ripmo AF this week. Took it out to Emma Long before I returned it today. Wow. That bike is a beast. The climbing efficiency really blew me away. 

So, how do I go about speaking for that Medium Ripmo you’ll be getting in September? I’d like to buy one!

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd close the loop on this thread. Ended up putting a deposit down on a Ripmo with Velorangutan. I went with the XT build, Factory 36, Factory X2 and the standard aluminum wheelset. I'm slightly second guessing my choice of wheels but didn't feel great about forking over an additional $700 for the Ibis carbon rims with the i9 hydra hubs. I was given a delivery estimate of the first or second week in September...which has now passed. No frustration towards the guys over at Velorangutan as they don't have any control over Ibis sending them the bike, but the anticipation is certainly killing me! Hoping the bike gets here soon as we are slowly approaching some great riding weather. Would also like to get seat time on the new bike before October's EB: Pandemic edition. Anyways, fingers crossed. 

• Like 4

Was looking at getting a Chamois Hagar to upgrade my gravel bike but then a little bird had asked me about considering upgrading my aging FS bike. With some advice and research that is the way I've decided to go. Just put a deposit on a Revel Rascal. Got an email that the frame will ship late October early November. Get ready for rain 🤷‍♂️ sorry. This be the one. Looking forward to experiencing CBF.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 7

On 9/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, WLemke said:

Figured I'd close the loop on this thread. Ended up putting a deposit down on a Ripmo with Velorangutan. I went with the XT build, Factory 36, Factory X2 and the standard aluminum wheelset. I'm slightly second guessing my choice of wheels but didn't feel great about forking over an additional $700 for the Ibis carbon rims with the i9 hydra hubs. I was given a delivery estimate of the first or second week in September...which has now passed. No frustration towards the guys over at Velorangutan as they don't have any control over Ibis sending them the bike, but the anticipation is certainly killing me! Hoping the bike gets here soon as we are slowly approaching some great riding weather. Would also like to get seat time on the new bike before October's EB: Pandemic edition. Anyways, fingers crossed. 

I think two wheelsets are good for the ripmo. One with burly tires and ones with more XC tires.  Someone in austin sells i9 hydras on pinkbike for under 500. Plus chinese carbon rims at 300 and $64 of spokes from dans comp will get you the second wheelset for a reasonable price.

Mmmm...second set of hydras would be so nice. I’m already planning on getting some Chinese carbon rims to re-lace to the Enduro S hydra hubs I’ve got now. Being able to swap on a set of fast rolling tires for things like the EB or a weekend trip to Sedona would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Lemke,

Do you happen to still have the 11 speed XD cassette you upgraded from?  I will give you some $$ for it. I only need it for a couple months so, I don't want to buy a new one.

To contribute to the thread; I looked pretty hard at the Ripmo... it looks nice. In the end I was hooked by the value of the Fezzari Delano Comp plus, i really want to try out the DVO suspension! I placed my order yesterday.

When it gets here I will replace the NX drivetrain with GX/carbon crank set and replace the WTB wheels with the DT 350/Stans Flow wheels with XD driver I just laced up. I want to use the DT wheels on my current rig (Niner Jet 9 11 speed) until my Delano gets here. That's why I need your cassette 🙂 I could change the drive on the 350 but that cost too...

Regardless, good luck with the RipMo! Sounds like a bad as bike! 

Thanks

18 hours ago, Watterman said:

Hey Lemke,

Do you happen to still have the 11 speed XD cassette you upgraded from?  I will give you some $$ for it. I only need it for a couple months so, I don't want to buy a new one.

To contribute to the thread; I looked pretty hard at the Ripmo... it looks nice. In the end I was hooked by the value of the Fezzari Delano Comp plus, i really want to try out the DVO suspension! I placed my order yesterday.

When it gets here I will replace the NX drivetrain with GX/carbon crank set and replace the WTB wheels with the DT 350/Stans Flow wheels with XD driver I just laced up. I want to use the DT wheels on my current rig (Niner Jet 9 11 speed) until my Delano gets here. That's why I need your cassette 🙂 I could change the drive on the 350 but that cost too...

Thanks

Can't comment on DVO rear shock but I really like my Diamond.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Watterman said:

Thanks Chief, The Topaz T3 rear shock looks nice. I called up DVO and a tech (engineer?) answered the phone. He took the time to walk me through it. I feel like the support from them would be really top notch. 

W

Yeah they're really good with CS!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, Watterman said:

Hey Lemke,

Thanks

Shoot. Forgot to respond to you. I do have the old 11 spd group set but I am keeping it for a future project. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, WLemke said:

I was there yesterday there were a few IBIS boxes around- maybe one is yours?

1 minute ago, Taco Man said:

I was there yesterday there were a few IBIS boxes around- maybe one is yours?

Ended up finding a Ripmo in stock with the specs I wanted at Cycle Progression last week. Maybe I was a week too impatient. 🤷‍♂️ The uncertainty was killing me not knowing when I'd get my new bike. Nothing against Veloranguatan but I had no confidence in Ibis delivering the bike in a timely manner.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, WLemke said:

Ended up finding a Ripmo in stock with the specs I wanted at Cycle Progression last week. Maybe I was a week too impatient. 🤷‍♂️ The uncertainty was killing me not knowing when I'd get my new bike. Nothing against Veloranguatan but I had no confidence in Ibis delivering the bike in a timely manner.

Yeah, Ibis is killing me with them not being able to tell me when bikes can ship and constant push back on dates.  They have given up trying to deliver ETAs.  I've had so many Ibis cancellations over the last few months it's not even funny.  

Glad you were able to get yourself a RIpmo!

58 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Seems like supply chains across all the brands are disrupted. The stuff that you can get, you probably dont want. 

Supply chains are not disrupted for the most part. Demand forecasting/capital is at fault for the current situation.

When the shit hit the fan, bike companies were not in a position to anticipate the demand. It is also more likely that they went hard to the other guardrail, trying to preserve capital to keep the business above water. The business is very inventory-intensive. The weird part is that the dynamic shifted rapidly. DSO (days sales outstanding) has probably dropped dramatically, people will buy, quickly, whatever you can build, and shops are willing to pay quickly to keep getting inventory, but nobody was able to adequately forecast the April - June numbers and everything is a catch up from there. I've seen no indication that supply chains are being impacted at a macro level, in most cases it is the ability to react to market changes that is creating issues across multiple businesses.

• Like 1

Agree there are a ton of drivers in this, a lot of which we've never seen at a global level. Hard to imagine anyone really expected the surge in bike related sales after covid hit. The whole thing has been insane. Putting parts & cash aside for all the bargains that will flood the market next year.

Lived a decade under the rules of kaizen and six sigma. It was beat into us that any scenario resulting in a customer not receiving a product, was due to a breakdown of the supply chain. regardless. *shivers*

Edited by ATXZJ

12 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

60857771-3E14-4567-9BCA-2BA8F7A9E691.thumb.jpeg.d559f0683a4d2ece7a75b8f0ad152ab8.jpeg

here is an excellent example from Austin Beer Works.  Nobody had this scenario in their mix I am betting. 

So you're saying that there are most likely warehouses of untapped kegs going bad? Perhaps we could all find a way to band together and stop this atrocity. I'm willing to do my part.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, notyal said:

So you're saying that there are most likely warehouses of untapped kegs going bad? Perhaps we could all find a way to band together and stop this atrocity. I'm willing to do my part.

The world is a better place with givers like this, willing to take one for the team.

46 minutes ago, notyal said:

A few months ago there was a story about how stadiums were trying to figure out how to get rid of beer since they can't just dump it down the drain, it first needs to be converted to urine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, notyal said:

At this point warehouses full of empty kegs. There was a near term conversion problem. The issue with the aluminum shortage lately is mildly tied to all of that as microbrewery demand shifted to cans. Not a huge chunk of the market but enough to stress an already tenuous aluminum industry that was caught in a tariff war.