IGNORED

If anyone is interested in a trail conditions site

crazyt

perfect! I don't know if you were inspired to do this by my posting on the FB group, but this is exactly what I had in mind.

technically, I think most of SATN is always "open" but it might not be a good idea to ride if it's wet. there's no specific rules to enforce about that.

however, Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve has only one entrance and a gate that is closed when the land managers declare it to be closed, so I would add that to the list and consider keeping that status updated to be very straightforward. the land managers have a FB page where they regularly update the open/closed status.

9 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

perfect! I don't know if you were inspired to do this by my posting on the FB group, but this is exactly what I had in mind.

technically, I think most of SATN is always "open" but it might not be a good idea to ride if it's wet. there's no specific rules to enforce about that.

however, Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve has only one entrance and a gate that is closed when the land managers declare it to be closed, so I would add that to the list and consider keeping that status updated to be very straightforward. the land managers have a FB page where they regularly update the open/closed status.

100% because of your post. The hard part is finding the people to maintain it. I can partially do it.

30 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Dude...that's sweet!  If it was maintained and I could get to it from my phone, I'd be all over that.  A simple green or red is all I'm generally looking for when it comes to a trail conditions report.

it shows up fine on mobile. You can make a bookmark to the site and make it an icon on your phone

just as a reminder, looking for people who are interested in updating trail conditions. It is a quick spreadsheet update. And if you dont end up updating it is no big deal, someone else will. 

Would be helpful if you updated the trails you ride most, dont need to be trail steward.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the folks at AB World Headquarters finally figured this out. I won't get into the technical details, but let me just say that I hate my publishing engine most days. Anyway, there is not a main menu link to trail conditions and this page will pull from the Google docs.

I also added the Facebook link at the bottom. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.

http://www.austinbike.com/index.php/austin/375-trail-conditions

Thanks to @crazyt for putting this together and maintaining it.

• Like 3

Please explain why you put it up. How is it different from crazyt's? Will yours be more easily community driven? 

and some input; I would prefer the link to the Austin MTB Trail Conditions Facebook page be more prominent and identified as to where the link is taken the reader. The more people driven to that site the more helpful discussion on trail conditions. Open or Closed is good to know but we all know there is more to it a lot of times.

Thanks for the effort!

Thanks for the input - that is his data, it draws from the same source.

The reason I put it on my site is because he asked me to put it on the site. 

A lot of people from out of town hit my site when deciding to come here (in addition to all of the people in Austin). With 2-300 visitors per day, it's good exposure.

Not everyone has Facebook.

I'm not trying to over-ride other people's efforts, jut trying to tie them together.

• Like 5