IGNORED

2018 EB

TAF

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Albert said:

According to the Enchilada Buffet website, the rain dates are October 27th and November 3rd.  If it makes it out to November 3rd, I'd be able to ride.  🙂 

..Al

Two rain dates are indeed on the calendar - the disadvantage of using rain dates is that much of the logistical support can be lost - trail angels are no longer available, the team who helps at Walnut has conflicts, etc etc. It can become a challenge to even get a basic water drop set up.

Edited by TAF
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, TAF said:

Two rain dates are indeed on the calendar - the disadvantage of using rain dates is that much of the logistical support can be lost - trail angels are no longer available, the team who helps at Walnut has conflicts, etc etc. It can become a challenge to even get a basic water drop set up.

So... back to an OG EB.

I'm selfishly rooting for rain so I can ride it since I have a conflict with the regular date.

There's a new route after Thumper which gets you on to the Walnut Creek concrete path.  After turning onto Duval Rd, you want to get onto the sidewalk on the left after crossing Amherst Dr, so in the direction of oncoming traffic. You'll immediately see a section of doubletrack to the left which goes down to the Balcones District Park Trail on Walnut Creek itself. Just follow it along, it'll become a nice new concrete path, and eventually it tees into the Mopac frontage road. Turn left, and you'll follow the concrete path down under Mopac, and on to Walnut. Hopefully the asshole from the power company who parked his huge truck ON the path won't be there that day.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Yep, this is what I was thinking too.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for everyone to have to be "self supported" for the ride.  

-CBJ

You may well get your wish. We can leave the grill in the truck - first person back, get grillin!

• Like 1

The trails are still soaked, EBers, and more rain is in the forecast. We'll make a determination mid-week, next week. If we push to a rain date, it will be to November 3, due to the availability of resources. If it's still too wet by then, we'll have to cancel, but will do our best to re-stage the event sometime in the new year, on a non-race weekend. So stay tuned!

• Like 1

Folks, the elders have conferred, and we're going to push the EB back by two weeks, to Nov 3. Based on eyes-on assessments this past weekend, the trails are completely saturated, the creeks are running fast and high, the forecast is poor, and it would be irresponsible of us to send that many riders out without being able to verify conditions. We're calling it now, so that you have time to re-arrange plans.

As soon as (if) things improve, we'll be posting up pre-rides in Thumper and the Green Belt, as well as getting in there and checking for any trail work needed.

We're light on volunteers for Nov 3, so if anyone has friends or family who can man a water station or flip a post-ride burger, please let us know!

• Like 3

There's a new route after Thumper which gets you on to the Walnut Creek concrete path.  After turning onto Duval Rd, you want to get onto the sidewalk on the left after crossing Amherst Dr, so in the direction of oncoming traffic. You'll immediately see a section of doubletrack to the left which goes down to the Balcones District Park Trail on Walnut Creek itself. Just follow it along, it'll become a nice new concrete path, and eventually it tees into the Mopac frontage road. Turn left, and you'll follow the concrete path down under Mopac, and on to Walnut. Hopefully the asshole from the power company who parked his huge truck ON the path won't be there that day.

Is this mandatory or optional?

Its a really pretty route. I checked it out yesterday and the water was too high to pass.

b7ff434d973c7bd8f307bec99905c5c2.jpgc175d6f851a07eb754ef1400864c39fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

Is this mandatory or optional?

Its a really pretty route. I checked it out yesterday and the water was too high to pass.

I guess, optional - there's not really a quicker route, although maybe a slightly shorter one. That creek is a babbling brook most of the time - I really wouldn't consider conditions this week as normal.

I guess, optional - there's not really a quicker route, although maybe a slightly shorter one. That creek is a babbling brook most of the time - I really wouldn't consider conditions this week as normal.

I know the water is abnormal. I would rather continue on Duval full gas’s and turn at the light at Mopac if given the option.

I’m pretty sure my average speed was 22ish on Duval. I’d rather no surprise a walker or Bum on some of those blind corners in Balcones. It’s a much more scenic route!

3 hours ago, FJsnoozer said:

I know the water is abnormal. I would rather continue on Duval full gas’s and turn at the light at Mopac if given the option.

I’m pretty sure my average speed was 22ish on Duval. I’d rather no surprise a walker or Bum on some of those blind corners in Balcones. It’s a much more scenic route!

Right, well we'll put you in charge of it, then. Head back up there and measure distance, time and (safe) speed on both routes!

Ultimately, there will be a third option by turning left on Amherst itself ... if it's ever completed.

Right, well we'll put you in charge of it, then. Head back up there and measure distance, time and (safe) speed on both routes!

Ultimately, there will be a third option by turning left on Amherst itself ... if it's ever completed.

I’m glad you find this entertaining. I was merely asking if this is the route so I wouldn’t be considered “cheating” by just staying on Duval.

I’d rather not try to cross the street at Amherst onto the sidewalk if possible.

If we are talking about speed, I guarantee you the Duval/Mopac Bike lane route is way faster. Take my word for it. My time is better spent on my side of town cutting up the mass of trees that will be blocking the greenbelt route.

Last time I asked about riding the rock climbing wall and did. I rode a harder section of the greenbelt by choice that was faster than the dabbing traffic between first and second crossing.

2 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

I’m glad you find this entertaining. I was merely asking if this is the route so I wouldn’t be considered “cheating” by just staying on Duval.

I’d rather not try to cross the street at Amherst onto the sidewalk if possible.

If we are talking about speed, I guarantee you the Duval/Mopac Bike lane route is way faster. Take my word for it. My time is better spent on my side of town cutting up the mass of trees that will be blocking the greenbelt route.

Last time I asked about riding the rock climbing wall and did. I rode a harder section of the greenbelt by choice that was faster than the dabbing traffic between first and second crossing.

I don't know why you think I'm laughing at you - I'm asking you to pitch in and help. If it's five minutes faster and a half mile shorter to take the road vs the path, then there can't be an option - one route must be chosen.

You're talking yourself into helping, so go help! We are few, we can't do everything.

I don't know why you think I'm laughing at you - I'm asking you to pitch in and help. If it's five minutes faster and a half mile shorter to take the road vs the path, then there can't be an option - one route must be chosen.

You're talking yourself into helping, so go help! We are few, we can't do everything.

No, we are talking a few hundred yards and 1 minute unless traffic is really bad at the light. My decision would be more about personal safety on the road. I probably would have times the difference already if the water weren’t high when I rolled by it to see what you were talking about.

I would rather stay in the bike lane and fly past Amherst than deal with merging across traffic and turning at that light. Merging over at Duval and Mopac would be my preference.

I looked back and I was not averaging 22mph, only 19

As I mentioned before, my time would be better spent working on Greenbelt Damage vs timing a road segment.