IGNORED

2018 EB

TAF

• 2 weeks later...

EBers, more conferring has taken place, and all parties are in agreement that we should move the EB into the new year, and we have selected Saturday, January 12 as the new date.

Factors which came into play:

- Barton Creek is currently unsafe to cross, so we would have been forced to skip the Green Belt.

- More rain is forecast this week.

- Thumper needs work, and this gives the crew a chance to to schedule work days and give the old girl some lovin.

- This weekend would have been self-supported - a full volunteer crew is available on Jan 12.

- There are no races scheduled on Jan 12.

We take this re-scheduling seriously, and plan to put on a solid event in January. Meanwhile we will be posting a full schedule of pre-rides (Thumper, Green Belt, etc) starting in about two weeks (weather permitting). It's going to take Cody a couple of weeks to get Thumper rideable, and you'll see work-and-ride posts from him.

If any of you are putting on your own pre-rides, feel free to share them so that others can enjoy the benefit - thanks!

Finally, to the 11 of you who might be disappointed (per the poll), we hope you're able to get some riding in this weekend, and that you won't be too upset with the re-scheduling.

From Pinthouse - er, EB HQ - that's all for now! Stay tuned for ride calls!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that you have decided to simply postpone it instead of canceling it outright.  This now gives me an opportunity to participate, as the original date I was out of town and just arrived back this weekend.  Not really leaving me much time to do additional training.  

..Al

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm glad that you have decided to simply postpone it instead of canceling it outright.  This now gives me an opportunity to participate, as the original date I was out of town and just arrived back this weekend.  Not really leaving me much time to do additional training.  

..Al

It may be that January is the better time for this event - that way the Season of Pain would start with the Dragon Slayer and Das Hugel, and end in a glorious EB money shot. We shall see!

4 hours ago, TAF said:

It may be that January is the better time for this event - that way the Season of Pain would start with the Dragon Slayer and Das Hugel, and end in a glorious EB money shot. We shall see!

I was thinking that. October always seems to get a ton of rain. January allows people to get ready for the start of the TMBRA series as well (which I think starts in feb).

I'm thinking I may do the EB solo this Friday, leaving from my house.  Question about water. I know I can get water at the CP fire station or Jester mart to replace the traditional CP angel stop, but where can I get water around Thumper? In the past I've just got lucky and found a guy standing in his yard and asked if I could use his spigot but I'd like a better plan than that. Also, since I'll be ~25 miles back (starting in the GB instead of WC) I guess I could push my water stop to WC - I could use the Shell station @ Duval and Mopac at that point, right? 

• Like 1

I'm thinking I may do the EB solo this Friday, leaving from my house.  Question about water. I know I can get water at the CP fire station or Jester mart to replace the traditional CP angel stop, but where can I get water around Thumper? In the past I've just got lucky and found a guy standing in his yard and asked if I could use his spigot but I'd like a better plan than that. Also, since I'll be ~25 miles back (starting in the GB instead of WC) I guess I could push my water stop to WC - I could use the Shell station @ Duval and Mopac at that point, right? 

What if you just started in the Greenbelt at Zilker or even Mopac? That would shift all of the water stops and open up a lot of opportunities for eating and drinking along the route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, FJsnoozer said:

What if you just started in the Greenbelt at Zilker or even Mopac? That would shift all of the water stops and open up a lot of opportunities for eating and drinking along the route?

I'm starting at Twin Falls (I live right up the hill) so that's basically what I'm asking. Shifting the ride ~20 miles forwards moves me to Jester Mart but I'm not sure what's next. I only ride Walnut & the Shoal Creek stuff once a year. I can't really pick any place to stop between Jester and Home except the 7-11 at Mopac and Duval and that seems ~10 ish miles too short...

Maybe I'll just do Jester and the 7-11?

I'm starting at Twin Falls (I live right up the hill) so that's basically what I'm asking. Shifting the ride ~20 miles forwards moves me to Jester Mart but I'm not sure what's next. I only ride Walnut & the Shoal Creek stuff once a year. I can't really pick any place to stop between Jester and Home except the 7-11 at Mopac and Duval and that seems ~10 ish miles too short...

Maybe I'll just do Jester and the 7-11?

Yeah, I didn’t know if you were dropping in from your house.

I think Jester and Duval would be my Plan as well. You can always hit the chevron 1 block further on Jollyville past the turn for Duval if you are really in need.

Or are you wanting something after Walnut?

• Like 1

In the early years before the "trail angels", this kind of planning was required of each of the riders.  At the 1st EB I ran it with water bottles and filled up at the C-store on 360 (southbound) not far after Rob Roy.   Then my next fill up was the fire station after leaving CP.  From there I made it through Thumper (we didn't do St Eds yr #1) and stopped at Oak Knoll and Jollyville for a refuel.  The following year, I ran a camelbak and made it all the way to the bottom of Yaupon before refueling for the 1st time at one of the new-home-builds before they had been occupied.  

Thus, in summary, your choice(s) are Jester Mart and the C-store at Oak Knoll at Jollyville.  Outside of a benevolent neighbor thats as close as you can get to Thumper.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 512 said:

Rather curious - do you plan to ride the entire Green Belt, including creek crossings? No short cuts?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, TAF said:

Rather curious - do you plan to ride the entire Green Belt, including creek crossings? No short cuts?

It's like you don't even know me behind this anon digital facade. My middle name is Shortcutsareforbitches for godsake. Hell, I made the map of the official route. 

But, yeah, I'm riding the whole thing. I rode the whole GB section last weekend; crossed the creek 7 times. Had to use the chain but that just adds time and keeps the same distance. The creek was at ~150 cfs then; it's at 99 right now and dropping about 15 a day. 

3 hours ago, 512 said:

It's like you don't even know me behind this anon digital facade. My middle name is Shortcutsareforbitches for godsake. Hell, I made the map of the official route. 

But, yeah, I'm riding the whole thing. I rode the whole GB section last weekend; crossed the creek 7 times. Had to use the chain but that just adds time and keeps the same distance. The creek was at ~150 cfs then; it's at 99 right now and dropping about 15 a day. 

Actually, that's what I meant - whether you'd take the 'official' crossings, or use the chain, etc. Post up a report!

19 minutes ago, Hakalugi said:

I'm rollin' the EB Saturday from my house, dropping me in BCGB at the MoPac ped bridge near 360. Plan to hit Jester & Dual for H2O.  Also plan to roll the official BCGB route. Can't wait to get out there!

Are you doing the whole BCGB portion first or last? Seems more reasonable to end with a 75 degree swim than to start with a 55 degree swim.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

Are you doing the whole BCGB portion first or last? Seems more reasonable to end with a 75 degree swim than to start with a 55 degree swim.

Both... will cross at EzUp & the Dam in the AM, cold AF. Then will wash off the dust & sweat in the PM w/ the 4 from Zilker back to the MoPac ped bridge.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, TAF said:

Actually, that's what I meant - whether you'd take the 'official' crossings, or use the chain, etc. Post up a report!

Did the official route, all crossings etc. In the morning it was in the 40s but the creek was actually warmer than the air which was actually kinda nice (until you got out). The deepest crossing was on the way back, downstream of the chains/downstream of the rope swing were both almost waist high. 

It could have been my Garmin, but I'm not sure the route y'all posted has the new bits in Walnut (the berms part, the part that goes through the woods instead of powerline hill, the one that goes over the dam instead of the waterfall drop). I got a little lost before the main creek crossing trying to do some part @knifezilla showed me where you end up going backwards.

The ride I did yesterday is the light orange, the 2018 EB in blue (dark orange is the new loop at the end of Duval that I skipped to get water): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W36z_BTTsQbgwFPtCBVP6ZHOEbMvBedX&usp=sharing 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How was Thumper?

I thought @Hakalugi was shitting me when he said I'd need to crawl under trees and tug my bike behind me by the handlebars. He wasn't. 

I felt good in Thumper and my time was the same as the year I almost laid down and went to sleep because of all the trees and crap. 

I didn't get lost, so it could be a lot worse 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 512 said:

I thought @Hakalugi was shitting me when he said I'd need to crawl under trees and tug my bike behind me by the handlebars. He wasn't. 

I felt good in Thumper and my time was the same as the year I almost laid down and went to sleep because of all the trees and crap. 

I didn't get lost, so it could be a lot worse 

Were the yellow tape markings still in tack across the trail?

-CJB

6 hours ago, 512 said:

Hahaha... nope, I belly crawled that biotch today & dragged my bike behind me. @CBaron had it not been for your new white bike signs w/ arrows I’d have missed a few turns, thx brotha! 

4 hours ago, Hakalugi said:

Hahaha... nope, I belly crawled that biotch today & dragged my bike behind me. @CBaron had it not been for your new white bike signs w/ arrows I’d have missed a few turns, thx brotha! 

Glad to hear it.  I checked your Strava and it looks like you covered it all.  

That was a bitch'n ride for you guys to pull off on a whim.  Respect.

-CJB

• Like 1