IGNORED

2018 EB

TAF

When I was trying to time my Friday ride to avoid commuter traffic, I threw my approximate times into a spreadsheet. This'll work for anyone who wants to know when they'll be arriving at different landmarks assuming that the % of the total trip for each section is relatively the same for everyone. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SAP_OOxad0ZXyHloGQXIX2AnwqKqWZqp3VtgeLv8vLk/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Nice ride man.   Also...WHAT?!  They smoothed out the ledges at St. Eds?  Just piled rocks or did they chisel them?

They basically made little ramps so you can just ride up those few ledges that were a bit technical. Stravatards I'd guess, nobody else would take the time.

• 1 month later...

There is a precedent here with the EB that never was (2015)? 

One of the things that I love about this event is that it's a ride put on by riders for riders.  I think that we've all seen a race destroy a trail because it was scheduled to take place despite the trail conditions.  If it's too muddy to ride the trail, I'm not riding it and I would expect everyone else involved to have that same approach.

• Like 4

Thats true.  And its good that this doesn't have to be a run-no-matter-what type event so that the promoters can make money back thing.  However, the other angle here is that theres a chance these types of things get canceled because its slick enough (but not trail damaging) that it could become 'dangerous' for the avg rider.  Heck I think the last time it was postponed due to weather conditions, 2 riders here on the forum went out and did it without incident.  So there's a still somewhat delicate balance to making these decisions IMHO.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

I don’t think you understand my comment. Trail was UNDER water on the GB maintrail.

I’m sure conditions will be great though on Saturday...good luck! 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB, Kayak edition?  Might be difficult on the road though!

Edited by fontarin

Just looking at the creek and not counting that fact that most of the trails are saturated:

The creek is running around 300cfs right now (hit 4k on the 27th, 1.8k on the 2nd). It's been dropping ~50cfs a day over the last 4 days or so. The cfs drop slows down as it nears 200, but I'd expect the creek to be running around 200ish on Saturday barring any more rain...

...however, there is a 100% chance of rain on Friday, predicting about 1/2 inch. Depending on where it falls, the creek will be somewhere between 200 and 400 on Saturday morning. Not lethal, but I don't cross the dam over ~350 (note here that riding across the dam when it's flowing at all is a bit tarded). So, depending on how much rain we get Friday the creek cfs might be ok.  When J and I did the EB in November the creek was ~175. I got the boys a bit wet crossing at EZ, but there was no danger. The organizers called the ride when the creek was under 200, so just going on the cfs this ride is off. 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08155300&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

Back in the mid 90's while I was at UT, I remember crossing where the current was slow.  It was chest deep and we carried our bikes above our heads, but it didn't feel dangerous.  I couldn't tell you which crossing and where exactly it was.

I did this once in the late 90s / early 2000s (don't remember exactly when).  It was at the first crossing west of the 360 trailhead, and the water was at least up to my waist.

The EB team posted this today on the FB page:

Wed noon update: the forecast for Friday continues to look unpleasant. What does "early showers, becoming a light steady rain, continuing into Friday night" mean for the EB? It means that the main trail on the Green Belt will be muddy in places, and all the rocks and roots will be slick as snot. The Rudy's climb will be muddy also. City Park could be a real shitshow, with all the recent reports of motorcycle damage. Lots of mud, puddles, and slick rock. Thumper - well, only Thumper knows. The sun could be shining down there, so that the unicorns and elves can paddle about. Plus, we would likely have to skip Walnut completely to avoid trail damage to a heavily used trail, and some very unhappy trail builders.

It sucks, but we'll keep you all posted! If we do have to cancel, we'll perhaps continue to run occasional GB and Thumper rides throughout the spring, and maybe even keep an eye out for an impromptu EB date with clear skies and a following wind.

13 hours ago, TAF said:

avoid trail damage to a heavily used trail, and some very unhappy trail builders.

Thanks for the update Tony. 

On the topic of damaging the trails, I would hope that the trail builders would not be the only ones unhappy with damage to the trails.  I'm not a builder but I contribute some of my riding/family/screwing around time to help maintain and improve the trails that we have.  If every EB rider would donate 1 hour of their time to working on the trails, I suspect the community could fix most problem areas on the EB route.   Let's face it...we have awesome trails in this town.  The EB is a showcase of many of those trails and people come to town from all over just to ride it and get a sample.  The people that care about this thread and are waiting for a decision from Tony and the EB crew are the ones that should be most concerned with the quality of those trails.

• Thanks 1

Given the very likely rain today and tonight, it does seem that Walnut will be out of the question.  So as long as the rain doesn't get crazy, an EB(light) with a truncated GB and no Walnut would be the most prudent option, I suppose. 

@TAF, how late today do you think the call will be made? The real rain doesn't even start until 3 or 4, so it seems like a fairly late call. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Given the very likely rain today and tonight, it does seem that Walnut will be out of the question.  So as long as the rain doesn't get crazy, an EB(light) with a truncated GB and no Walnut would be the most prudent option, I suppose. 

@TAF, how late today do you think the call will be made? The real rain doesn't even start until 3 or 4, so it seems like a fairly late call. 

I'm afraid it will likely be a late call, but for now, things are looking reasonable. A BCGB bypass will be in effect, taking the paved bike path from Spyglass to the Mopac turnaround trailhead. No creek crossings on this one. If Walnut is deemed not rideable by the time riders arrive in the afternoon, a signboard will be posted on the paved Walnut Creek trail. Neutral support at City Park and Thumper. Word has it that my wife is going to have food delivered on-site from somewhere!

Perhaps not an EB for the serious time junkies, but still a good workout for those wishing to try it out for a first time, or who just want a fun ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TAF said:

I'm afraid it will likely be a late call, but for now, things are looking reasonable. 

There have been a few very brief showers around the EB area, but now it looks like no persistent rain until very late... and maybe not at all if my radar-fu us working. 

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

There have been a few very brief showers around the EB area, but now it looks like no persistent rain until very late... and maybe not at all if my radar-fu us working. 

Agreed - that seems to be the consensus. I'm prepping for this thing to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knifezilla said:

There is discussion on the Facebook about changing the start time.  My EventBrite reminder says 6am.  If this goes down with a time change will all the registrants get some sort of notification?

6 am. Would you also like a wake-up call?