IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

I did some early, slow-paced hikes this weekend instead of riding. it's so effing hot. how are you dealing this year? hibernating until late October? are you filling your Camelback with ice-cold saline solution and just mainlining it to your arm? Zwifting? riding in caves (I wish!)? just being tee you eff eff and pedaling while the sun tries to kill you?

I don’t mind riding in the heat but I don’t like the thought of running out of water. Not having water fountains available and not wanting to go into convenience stores if I can help it has really cramped my style. I’m doing evening rides and trying to find as much shade as possible. I’ll probably do a few morning rides if the humidity comes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did about 10 miles yesterday evening out at Suburban Ninja and the Church Jumps.  We didn't start until just after 6, but the heat was still brutal.  I didn't notice it so much in the trees, but once we started sessioning the jump lines by the church we all started feeling the effects really quickly.  I did put ice in my Camelback yesterday, which I hardly ever do...

Oh, and we also hit Spider early on Saturday.  We got there shortly after 8:30 and were in the lake at Thunderbird Resort by 1.  I can't imagine riding out there much past noon in this heat, but it honestly wasn't that bad in the morning.  VERY short lift lines were a big plus too!

Rode the nut early Saturday morning, wasn't to bad.  Rode Brushy yesterday morning, it was sticky for sure.  Will start riding in the evenings after work. 

Have stopped riding to work during this heat, will start riding again, when we get into the 90's.

Hydration is the key!!

I rode with a group Saturday from around 9.a.m to noon, doing about 18 miles from the YMCA to Ninja and back.  Wasn't too hot for me, but I don;t mind the heat, and I ride with a 100 oz. CamelBak with a bladder half frozen water/half liquid water.  Yesterday, my wife and I rode 22 road miles starting around 12:30 p.m. Same thing.  It didn't bother me.

• Like 2

I went out yesterday and by the time I had made coffee, fed the kids, and waited for the wife to be back from her run it was 10:30. I was doing okay until I finished the Slaughter Creek loop and had to ride up the hill on 1826. That put me in a hole that I never recovered from. By noon it was so hot and there was no way I was going to finish the ride I had planned so I pulled the plug and took the neighborhood roads back. Don't do what I did. Go out early and take it easy.

• Like 1

I can't ride early on weekdays, so my plan was to start riding late in the afternoon. it will be the hottest at that time, but the humidity seems to be the lowest. I am trying to find a weather reporting service that shows hourly historical humidity levels for the past few days, but all I see are temperatures. I have a route in mind that will be shaded, at least. Shorter rides are a good idea as well.

It's hard for me to ride in the morning or afternoon.  My normal time during the week is riding between noon and 3pm.  It's no different now.  I'm mostly riding road.  The only changes are I take double the water (2 bottles for one hour, 3 bottles for 90 minutes, if I need to go longer, I put a cooler out on my porch and come back to pick up more water) and I do not do hill repeats.  It's not bad even at 3pm if I keep the speed up.

As I enter the next phase of aging (45 now) I can tell the heat bothers me more than it used to. I did 42+ cx miles yesterday and left too late(8am).... at the end I was light headed. I really don’t want to stop riding but my Yeti took a shit and is in need of warranty stuff (we’ll see how that goes) and I don’t love cx rides like I used to. 

But, yeah, as someone mentioned, with no water fountains it makes it tough for me to go beyond 3 hours. The ONLY good thing about riding CX is I can carry two large water bottles on the frame along with my 50oz Camelbak Palos. Can also throw a small bottle in jersey pocket, but ugh. 

6 years... and definitely counting, until I’m free to move to higher, drier elevation. I’m from Louisana, so Austin is in the right direction, I just undershot it 20 years ago when I moved here (but there are other reasons for that *eyeroll)

Guess I’ll keep trying to ride until I have a true scare or die. But overall I loathe these TX summers. 

I rode at 2:30 today, it was 101 deg and 40% humidity. The low humidity makes it bearable as long as you keep moving. The key is to start acclimating yourself early in the year.  BTW, LCRA hydromet has a good temp -humidity graph that I check this time of year.