IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

7 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I can't ride early on weekdays, so my plan was to start riding late in the afternoon. it will be the hottest at that time, but the humidity seems to be the lowest. I am trying to find a weather reporting service that shows hourly historical humidity levels for the past few days, but all I see are temperatures. I have a route in mind that will be shaded, at least. Shorter rides are a good idea as well.

Try this one - https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/tx/austin/KAUS  Scroll down near the bottom to get the hourly weather history.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

I went out yesterday and by the time I had made coffee, fed the kids, and waited for the wife to be back from her run it was 10:30. I was doing okay until I finished the Slaughter Creek loop and had to ride up the hill on 1826. That put me in a hole that I never recovered from. By noon it was so hot and there was no way I was going to finish the ride I had planned so I pulled the plug and took the neighborhood roads back. Don't do what I did. Go out early and take it easy.

I did about the same on Friday morning. Planned on 30 miles. Started about 9:00 near Sunset Valley. Rode to Slaughter Creek Trail. Started feeling it on 1826. Needed a break near Discgo - Discgo / Phoenix. Another break after SCT. By now it is getting hot. Needed another break near SH45. I finally bailed to Escarpment about 1:00. Yes my pace had slowed to a crawl. Just about passed out waiting for the light at Escarpment & SH45. Another break and more water at the Fire Station. I made it the HEB at Escarpment and Slaughter. Bought some refreshment and water and went back outside to sit on the bench where I could watch my bike. Just about passed out again. Had to lay down and put my feet up. Retired nurse saw me and recognized the problem. Tried to get me inside but I wouldn't abandon my bike. She gave me ice water and a cold compress repeatedly. In about 30 minutes I was much better.

I can't imagine what could have happened if I hadn't bailed when I did. The heat can be a killer. I have ridden in this before. I don't have it in me right now. Be safe out there. I right early morning or late night now.

• Like 1

Been doing morning urban rides, from Braker down south to Shoal Creek via Domain and the Pickle. Try to leave the house by 7 am and roll back home at 10 or 10:30.

Ice cold Topo Chico has worked in the past for mid-ride urban reviving.  I think the mineral content may be a factor in helping rehydration.  Mexican coke (real sugar! caffeine!) from HEB also works to revive in desperate times. If the HEB you are in has a little in-store cafe, a kind person might give you a cup with ice for your Coke. 

SKRATCH mix is my energy drink of choice these days. Not sugary and is easy on the stomach.

9 hours ago, cxagent said:

Retired nurse saw me and recognized the problem. Tried to get me inside but I wouldn't abandon my bike. She gave me ice water and a cold compress repeatedly. In about 30 minutes I was much better.

Very scary scenario, cxagent. Glad an RN angel stopped to help you out! 

Also, y'all:  The heat index is the actual temp your body is dealing with.  

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I know a LOT of people who have just plain left town. Between the parks being closed, 'Rona, and the heat...those states further north are looking pretty good.

Some of those cooler states don't want us.  New Mexico state parks are currently closed to out-of-state visitors.

The public health order has been amended to restrict out-of-state visitors at New Mexico state parks. Visitors to state parks must demonstrate proof of residency or will not be permitted entry beginning Monday, July 13, 2020. Visitors must show one of the following to demonstrate residency: a valid New Mexico license plate, New Mexico driver’s license or ID card, New Mexico vehicle registration, federal document attesting to residency, or military identification.

Usually this is my time of year to do more riding. Not sure why. This year is a bit different. Tried to ride 1/4 Notch last week about 6pm, only made it about 1/3-1/2 E2W before turning around. I was not feeling well. Only 2nd ride since March, and the first ride since march was the week before.

I've been hitting Brushy for a few hours from about 7am  on the weekends and ~7pm during the week and it has been hot but not unbearable other than the hike and bike being crowded on weekend mornings.  As others have said acclimating to exercising in the heat and hydration are key but I would be lying if I said I was not looking forward to spending a week riding in Breckenridge at the end of the month. 

rode walnut starting at 7:30pm on sunday and it was a bit chilly in the shade. Also have been doing short rides on cat, down then back up around 4pm and it has been fine in the shade.

We got a new dog so Ive been too tired to ride in the morning, but this morning at 6am was amazing.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4fun said:

It only going to be 104 today. Thinking I will slow down and only do two laps around lake Georgetown today mid after noon instead of three🤪

If I step foot outside today, this is really what it will look like

EDCA0DEE-DFD4-4A78-8A28-A7625811E2B7.jpeg

• Like 5

My latest attempt at a heat-coping strategy when I ride my local trail is to fill two water bottles with ice and cold water and partially freeze them.  I carry one on the frame and the other inside by camelback (no bladder).  I ride roads for about eight minutes to get to my personal trail network.  Once I get there I drop my camelback in the shade at a four-way trail intersection and get to ride without the weight and heat of the pack on my back.  Every time I come near the intersection I spray my forehead with cold water.  Between that and starting early and keeping the ride short I have been able to keep riding, but without the heat-headaches that used to be ubiquitous for me in the summer after a ride.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

heat-headaches that used to be ubiquitous for me in the summer after a ride.

Are you drinking pure water?  I get those if I'm not taking in enough sodium.  Ever since my college years I figured throwing in some salt into my water helped me stave off those headaches.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, mack_turtle said:

I did some early, slow-paced hikes this weekend instead of riding. it's so effing hot. how are you dealing this year? hibernating until late October? are you filling your Camelback with ice-cold saline solution and just mainlining it to your arm? Zwifting? riding in caves (I wish!)? just being tee you eff eff and pedaling while the sun tries to kill you?

Still riding. Sometimes early morning, sometimes during lunchtime, sometimes in the evening. Just got back right now from an hour ride in Brushy. Heat has never bothered me but I also spent my childhood in south Texas baling hay and running fence lines on my grandpa's dairy farm. You haven't experienced heat until you've spent a day baling hay in a barn when it's 105 outside with gulf of mexico humidity. Riding a bike in this weather is easy peasy compared to that. Just need to drink a ton of water.

I shut down around December when it gets cold and start back up in March. I generally don't ride when it's under 60. Too chilly.

Edited by quixoft

On 7/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, Teamsloan said:

I know a LOT of people who have just plain left town. Between the parks being closed, 'Rona, and the heat...those states further north are looking pretty good.

Yeah they look great. Until you're standing outside waiting for a bus in February, it's -6 and your eyelashes freeze together when you blink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Yeah they look great. Until you're standing outside waiting for a bus in February, it's -6 and your eyelashes freeze together when you blink.

For sure not northeast. Coldest we got in SLC was 8*

(thats still pretty cold though😀)

37 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Are you drinking pure water?  I get those if I'm not taking in enough sodium.  Ever since my college years I figured throwing in some salt into my water helped me stave off those headaches.

Any cleaning issues with salt in your hydration bladder?

12 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

just checked the historical data: there was a high of -2  and a low of -21 degrees F on the day I was born in Chicago. that must have set my calibration for what "too hot" feels like.

Haha I just checked mine. Low was 62 and high was 85 on February 28th, 1978 in San Antonio. Guess that's what set my calibration for what winter temps should be like.

23 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

Any cleaning issues with salt in your hydration bladder?

not my discussion, but I've not used a backpack or bladder like that in about a year. cleaning that crap out of hoses sucks. If you wear a pack, i would not recommend putting anything other than water in it. put your drink mix in a separate bottle that is easier to clean. if you can carry it in a powdered form, bring and extra serving in a separate little container and pour it in the bottle later when you need more.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

just checked the historical data: there was a high of -2  and a low of -21 degrees F on the day I was born in Chicago. that must have set my calibration for what "too hot" feels like.

You’re probably young enough that I was going to school on that day. If I had a dollar for every time I had to walk to school when it was sub zero I could have bought a plane ticket out of there. 

• Like 1