IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

Went out to Walnut yesterday from 1-2 and it wasn't bad at all. 98 degrees according to my truck and humidity wasn't awful. It was actually pretty nice as there were very few people out. I only saw one other biker and only two small groups walking dogs.  I'll probably do some more afternoon riding this week since it seems you can avoid the crowds at that time. Too many walkers and dogs at Walnut in the mornings/evenings. 

• Like 2

I rode Saturday on the road 2:30 to 4pm or so and it didn't feel bad at all, except when I hit a stop light at 620.  Then it felt horrible.  The nice thing though is that stopping means sweat accumulates, so when I got going again it was like air conditioning.

Yesterday I worked in the garage all afternoon in jeans (had to go into the attic a few times, don't like going up there in shorts).  It was hot and I sweated probably a half a gallon (six pints of water before I peed) but felt bearable.  Was doing something outside later in the afternoon when cool air and some drizzle came down.  It felt awesome.  

I think I'm fully acclimated to the heat.

• Like 3

I rode Brushy Sat evening between 5:30 and 7:30 and then again Sun morning between 10 - 12. I've only been riding once or twice per week but I haven't had a summer ride yet that wasn't enjoyable to some degree. The key for me has been just not pushing it too hard, keeping my heart rate at 155 or lower during my rides.   

19 minutes ago, throet said:

I rode Brushy Sat evening between 5:30 and 7:30 and then again Sun morning between 10 - 12. I've only been riding once or twice per week but I haven't had a summer ride yet that wasn't enjoyable to some degree. The key for me has been just not pushing it too hard, keeping my heart rate at 155 or lower during my rides.   

Same here. I take it easy on the uphills and always sit for a few minutes after a longer climb and get some water. But I made it through yesterday just fine while also still hungover from two bottles of wine on Sat night.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, AntonioGG said:

Have you tried Sport Legs?

On 7/15/2020 at 12:48 PM, Barry said:

No, I haven't tried SportsLegs, but 4.6/5 stars on Amazon with 950 ratings? Added to cart + delivered on Friday = I'll be trying them on Saturday. 

I can now say with certainty that SportsLegs might work for me, since Saturday was my easiest endurance ride in quite a while. I was able to pull off a 7.5+ hour ride (spin time), ending around 4pm while the temp reached 97*. I ended up going light on the dose, taking just 3 at a time. I'm currently right between 3-4 pills (but a little closer to 4), and since I was taking then in conjunction with SaltStick Caps which also has magnesium I didn't want to overdo the Mg. I ended up having 9 total, at about 2-2.5 hour intervals. I was pleased that not only did I have nothing that resembled a cramp or even those light pre-cramp twinges, but I also had no soreness the next day. 

But I can't for sure say it's the supplements yet since there were other factors at play here. I was riding with another fellow and he was working to keep the ride intensity down for much of the ride. While we weren't slow, it was definitely a little less intense than I would have otherwise pushed. And the other thing is that it was well under 90* for most of the ride. It did end hot, but not like it has been, and I think I'm quite well heat acclimated. The last thing is that SATN hardly has any climbs, so that wasn't an issue to further stress my legs. 

Further evaluation is warranted.  

• Like 2

We went out to Palo Duro last week. At one point it was 120. I decided to let it cool down in the evening to just 110 before taking a ride. It was rather pleasant. It's amazing the difference humidity makes.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Tip said:

We went out to Palo Duro last week. At one point it was 120. I decided to let it cool down be in the evening to just 110 before taking a ride. It was rather pleasant. It's amazing the difference humidity makes.

PD is so awesome. Loved rock garden &  comanche.

NM was dry like this too. We averaged under 10% humidity in may. We also hit some trails in Tucson last july and it took way longer to bonk than it does here. Done with the humidity.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, throet said:

I see what you did there...

• Like 1

thank you for clarifying. I was a regular at the STAN Tuesday night crank n Drank until this started. if anyone is meeting up for R&I (Walnut) or CnD, it has not been advertised. There was a Thursday night ride at Texas Cycle Werks on the southwest side too.

I have not been to one since some time in March. I have been riding alone or with one other person at most. that's probably for the best for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Are the Tues night rides still happening?

Show up around 5:30 and look for a group in the parking lot island (mulch island). If you see people, don't be a stranger. If the trails/park are open and the trails aren't muddy, chances are pretty good that someone will be there.

Bring a mask for the "I" after.

The important thing is to show up and not be disappointed if you end up riding alone. The R&I was never meant to be an established "official" thing. It was always a cool group of people that just showed up because it was a Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's warming up again and I'm considering replacing my Osprey Raptor 10. It's so aggressively uncomfortable that it makes me not want to ride at all if I need to carry more water than what fits in two water bottles. On a hot day, I'll empty a 3L pack in less than 90 minutes. If I am limited to water bottles, I end up dehydrated no matter how much water I drink all day. I could basically drown myself and then sweat it all out in 30 minutes. Wearing a pack means I drink more water but at the cost of the experience feeling like shit because I have that awkward extra hunchback.

I don't know where to start looking for a pack that does not feel like I'm carrying a tortise shell around. I looked up reviews and the Raptor 10 is considered to be very comfortable. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by mack_turtle

37 minutes ago, Chief said:

I have a Camelback Rogue that's pretty compact and holds 85oz of water. Also carry a tube, multi tool, tire pump and quick link pliers.

Unknown.jpeg.c2b925d6e08bfce67ab227ce6c0e0105.jpeg

yeah, maybe that's what I need—something small and simple that mostly just carries water. I feel like so many of these things on the market are backpacks with tons of extra pockets I don't need. I'll have to look into the hip pack options, too. small hip pack + water bottles might be the answer.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

I recently switched to the Osprey Seral 4, a hip pack with 1.5L capacity.  Like you said, it will not be enough water for summer, but combined with a couple water bottles it should be ok.  The main benefit is no more overheated back.  It does take some getting used to with regard to the drink tube but so far so good.

• Like 2