IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

Camelbak Skyline LR.
lower center of gravity, very comfortable, enough pockets for tools and nutrition, somewhat cooler, a bit of a pain to fill the bladder (mainly the struggle to stuff it back in the pack).

I don’t use it for Tuesday Night rides except for maybe peak furnace conditions. But it’s a great pack for bigger BCGB days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

I recently switched to the Osprey Seral 4, a hip pack with 1.5L capacity.  Like you said, it will not be enough water for summer, but combined with a couple water bottles it should be ok.  The main benefit is no more overheated back.  It does take some getting used to with regard to the drink tube but so far so good.

I have that pack. I guess I'm one of the few that hates a hip pack. Tried it twice and was done with it. It gets in the way when getting getting back on bike from standing over top tube.

• Like 2

I started riding in 2012 when the most "uncool" thing on your bike was a water bottle. So much so, that manufacturers didn't even bother with bosses. We were all rocking hydration packs which were heavy, cumbersome and arguably worse looking than bottles. 

Now with enduro being the flavor of the week, having bottles is again cool, along with attaching various other random items to your frame🤨

Somewhere in between, hip packs reared their heads. My only memories of dudes sporting hip packs were the roided up guys in the 80-90s wearing those MC hammer pajamas trying to sell me steroids and E. I pushed those dudes out of my mind and bought a small 1.4 hip pack. I have never used my backpack again. F that thing. Forever.

Given the option, I'd rather have a single bottle and nothing else.  Not having any of that shit hanging off of you when your'e riding is liberating. Second to that, hip pack. The ones with a bladder and pocket for a bottle would probably be a good compromise.

My crap 2c

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chief said:

I have a Camelback Rogue that's pretty compact and holds 85oz of water. Also carry a tube, multi tool, tire pump and quick link pliers.

Unknown.jpeg.c2b925d6e08bfce67ab227ce6c0e0105.jpeg

I have this model for my son.  works well.  My only complaint is the tube doesn’t disconnect from the bladder on the one I bought for him.  Not as convenient to take bladder out to fill.

I have this one: https://www.dakine.com/collections/bike-backpacks-hydration/products/hot-laps-5l-bike-waist-bag?variant=33209068814416

My choice of this one over the dozens of others was that this was the only hip pack i found that had a 70oz bladder. My fear was that I'd like wearing the hip pack, but I'd be forced to go back to the backpack style in the summer to avoid dehydration. With this pack and a bottle on the frame, I can carry almost as much as my 100oz backpack. I will say that it rides a little awkwardly when filled completely. If I'm not going to need full water capacity, I'll leave it half full (or half empty if I'm in a bad mood).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief said:

I have that pack. I guess I'm one of the few that hates a hip pack. Tried it twice and was done with it. It gets in the way when getting getting back on bike from standing over top tube.

I understand that.  I normally get on bike from the left side which doesnt seem to cause issues for me.  There is definitely a learning curve compared to a backpack, but again the pluses outweigh the minuses for me.  Also, I ride SATN and BCGB mostly and haven't had the drink tube come loose yet which was a worry when I got it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Could be arthritis😁 

Heathritis!

Osprey has the right idea as far as trying to increase ventilation between the pack and your back, but the execution is not great.  I sweat a lot also especially on days like last night and today.  It doesn't bother me much with the backpack, but when you take it off you can really feel the difference.

I have an older MULE that I no longer use, and it was pretty bad.  The Osprey is a step up.  I use the Osprey for rides >90 minutes.

My other backpack is a larger Ergon pack which has a frame that keeps the backpack off your back and the waist strap really keeps the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders.  This is what I wear on things like the Dragon Slayer.

I haven't tried a hip pack. I like the idea of nothing on my back.

I'll still avoid a pack as much as possible.  On my ride last night at Walnut, I stopped at my car for a 2nd bottle.  If I can find a way to refill a bottle that's what I do.

• Like 1

I have solved the problem for myself. I designed "Carl's Cool Thing." It's a short section of a big pool noodle that holds the hydration pack off my back. It works very well. I cannot imagine going out in the heat without an adequate supply of water

IMG_20210428_100028.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I have solved the problem for myself. I designed "Carl's Cool Thing." It's a short section of a big pool noodle that holds the hydration pack off my back. It works very well. I cannot imagine going out in the heat without an adequate supply of water

IMG_20210428_100028.jpg

Brilliant!  I had envisioned some kind of wireframe structure.

I run an Ergon which keeps the pack off the back in the summers and for the longer all day Colorado trips. I have a Dakine Hotlaps 2L, which has a single water bottle. Which helps as my SS does not fit a bottle. I would love the 5L or an Osprey but don't want to spend the $. 

I did just pick up a Mountainsmith hiking hip pack, 2 bottles. Should be fine for my 60-90min lunch rides, but has almost no storage, so a multitool and phone is it. So not likely to venture into the woods too far with it.

• Like 1

I run a Dakine hip pack, carries 2L of water but I never fill it up all the way otherwise it gets a little cumbersome. In the hotter days I run that and two water bottles on the bike. Save the big hydration pack for super long remote rides so I can carry spares and tons of water.

4 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Camelbak Skyline LR.
lower center of gravity, very comfortable, enough pockets for tools and nutrition, somewhat cooler, a bit of a pain to fill the bladder (mainly the struggle to stuff it back in the pack).

I don’t use it for Tuesday Night rides except for maybe peak furnace conditions. But it’s a great pack for bigger BCGB days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Skyline LR as well along with an Osprey Raptor 10. I find myself using the Skyline more in the heat and the Osprey more in the cooler weather. 

The Osprey is slightly more comfortable fit wise in the shoulders but hotter and less water by 500mL.
The Skyline weight distribution is lower which I prefer, is cooler, and holds more water. While it still fits well, the shoulder straps aren't as nice as the Osprey.

Both are great and you can't really go wrong with either but if I had to pick one it would be the Skyline. They are both on the more expensive side being in the $130-150 range.

Edited by quixoft

20 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Anyone have a line on a good hip pack to carry 1 bottle along with some other necessities like a tube, multi-tool, phone and keys? Mostly thinking of Walnut Creek and singlespeed, for longer greenbelt rides I'd be using a full pack.

I like my Dakine hotlaps 2l. Perfect for a bottle, snack, pump, and phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Anyone have a line on a good hip pack to carry 1 bottle along with some other necessities like a tube, multi-tool, phone and keys? Mostly thinking of Walnut Creek and singlespeed, for longer greenbelt rides I'd be using a full pack.

I have my eyes on this one.     https://www.evocsports.com/HIP-PACK-PRO-3-HIP-PACK-HYDRATION-BLADDER/102504120

I have not pulled the trigger only because I have never seen one in person. You can carry water bottles along with the bladder.

Or sans bladder and just bottles. So that is nice but on paper they claim that the comfort has been improved as the weight is better dispersed. 

I currently use the Dakine 5L and really like it except when I fill the bladder up about 1/2 , then it is uncomfy on my fat belly as the buckle digs in.

Edited by Cafeend
  • Like 2

I can't wear a hydration pack anymore, but Revelate Mountain Feedbags (mount to handlebars) are sized to fit a liter Nalgene bottle and have lots of side pockets.  That, plus a  pack de derriere (REI Co-op Trail 5 Waistpack, capacity 5 liters) for tools and what not.  

ETA: Just got back from Walnut.  Counted 3 (three!) packs de derriere in use by riders. 

Edited by June Bug

10 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Given the option, I'd rather have a single bottle and nothing else.  Not having any of that shit hanging off of you when your'e riding is liberating.

100% this! Almost all of my Brushy Creek rides are with just a single bottle these days. No pack. No tools. No tube. Just my phone in my front pocket, and it fits perfectly in the Giro Havoc Shorts I've been sporting. If I break down, I head to the nearest pick-up point and have my wife pick me up. When I make a trip to go ride somewhere else, my Osprey Viper is light, cool, and comfortable enough for long days on the trails. I stopped riding in the summer last year and will likely do the same this year, with the exception of a possible trip into the mountains somewhere. It just got to the point where I wasn't having fun in the sweltering heat and humidity. Taking 2 months out of my riding schedule each year is also a good way to let nagging injuries heal up and do heavy cross training to get ready for Fall.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I have my eyes on this one.     https://www.evocsports.com/HIP-PACK-PRO-3-HIP-PACK-HYDRATION-BLADDER/102504120

I have not pulled the trigger only because I have never seen one in person. You can carry water bottles along with the bladder.

Or sans bladder and just bottles. So that is nice but on paper they claim that the comfort has been improved as the weight is better dispersed. 

I currently use the Dakine 5L and really like it except when I fill the bladder up about 1/2 , then it is uncomfy on my fat belly as the buckle digs in.

I acquired one recently and will report back once I get some time with it. The other choice was the Seral but the ability to carry two bottles plus bladder was appealing in theory at least.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

For those of us with hardtails, does anyone use frame hydration packs on local trails and not just for bikepacking?

I have a triangular Jandd bag that is just big enough to fit a Platypus bladder. I've used it on gravel rides with the hose attached to the handlebar using a "retractable badge holder." I don't think this bag fits my mountain bike at all, and I'm not sure it fits my current gravel bike either. I'll have to try it again, but it should be fine so long as it keeps the extra weight low and centered. if the bag fits in the front of the frame, it could make handling awkward.

Here's what it looked like when I rode Lockhart Heartbreaker a few years ago:

20180922_100302.jpg.a2db02bf03da5032f1bc692675f8505b.jpg

I also remember this ride as the one where my knees started hurting and I realized at the end that my seatpost had slipped down about an inch during the ride! combine that with long cranks and it probably really aggravated the arthritis from which I supposedly suffer.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1