IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

11 hours ago, TheX said:

I'm so used to always having a backpack or larger Camelback that it feels weird without it. Even in full leathers riding sportbikes always had a backpack.

Same here; I feel weird without one. Where did you ride? I mainly did my track days at Texas World and Cresson in Dallas and Houston.  Been a few years and Texas World is closed now.

Riding a mountain bike at noon in summer is nice and cool compared to doing a full day at the track in full leathers in August. Now that was hot! So hot that the pavement actually got greasy and slippery in the heat of the afternoon. I had to wear full long sleeve and long pants under armor underneath or I couldn't get the leathers off because they would stick to my bare skin.

Edited by quixoft

25 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Same here; I feel weird without one. Where did you ride? I mainly did my track days at Texas World and Cresson in Dallas and Houston.  Been a few years and Texas World is closed now.

Riding a mountain bike at noon in summer is nice and cool compared to doing a full day at the track in full leathers in August. Now that was hot! So hot that the pavement actually got greasy and slippery in the heat of the afternoon. I had to wear full long sleeve and long pants under armor underneath or I couldn't get the leathers off because they would stick to my bare skin.

I did a LOT of RideSmart days at MSRH, Cresson, TWS...Doing two days at Houston (Angleton) in August was a bitch, but we did it.

tws-3-19-12-b.thumb.jpg.6e7047e42a0c1196441b72ec88e41de5.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, TheX said:

I did a LOT of RideSmart days at MSRH, Cresson, TWS...Doing two days at Houston (Angleton) in August was a bitch, but we did it.

Yep Cresson in the summer can be brutal but never had any issues getting tire temps up though.  Come off the track dunk your head in the cooler throw a wet towel over your head and drink water until the next session then repeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Txduc said:

Yep Cresson in the summer can be brutal but never had any issues getting tire temps up though.  Come off the track dunk your head in the cooler throw a wet towel over your head and drink water until the next session then repeat.

This is a pic of my front tire from TWS on a hot day.

twsfront.thumb.jpg.cc0410fa815f27d0473b9a44df42eed2.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scattered said:

I acquired one recently and will report back once I get some time with it. The other choice was the Seral but the ability to carry two bottles plus bladder was appealing in theory at least.

I pulled the trigger , getting it Saturday 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, Mattlikesbikes said:

I like my Dakine hotlaps 2l. Perfect for a bottle, snack, pump, and phone.

+1m I have the same one. Last time I wore a hip pack was when it was known as a fanny pack. Now I use it for running/hiking/biking. It securely carries a 26oz bottle plus I can put 1 or 2 in my frame. For hotter weather, I shift my riding to spoke and hub and tank up at the car from a cooler. 

12 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

+1m I have the same one. Last time I wore a hip pack was when it was known as a fanny pack. Now I use it for running/hiking/biking. It securely carries a 26oz bottle plus I can put 1 or 2 in my frame. For hotter weather, I shift my riding to spoke and hub and tank up at the car from a cooler. 

Sadly, I cannot fit a bottle in my frame so the single bottle Dakine is going on the shelf for the summer. This ghetto two bottle hiking thing will have to work..

83b8de85-abcb-4fd9-acd9-6b8a899e4bee_1.e

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TheX said:

This is a pic of my front tire from TWS on a hot day.

twsfront.thumb.jpg.cc0410fa815f27d0473b9a44df42eed2.jpg

Looks about right. Worst thing about summer was shredding tires and more $$$ spent. I could generally get 2-3 full days out of one set of tires in the spring/fall when it was cooler but summer just tore them up.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, TheX said:

Sounds familiar! This was one of my first track days(TWS2.9 turn 10) and I had some borrowed leathers which didn't fit! Banged my knee up pretty good.

tws10.jpg

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

Sunday's heat, humidity, and winds were no joke. 35-mile road ride in Bastrop kicked my ass. I must have lost a lot more water than I thought I did.

I brought only two water bottles plus and one extra for the way home. Should have consumed twice that, at least. Got home and stupidly had a beer instead of tons more water. Fell asleep early, woke up a few hours later parched and with a headache and mild nausea. Didn't sleep well after that.

Drink more water, folks!

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

I don't do well in the heat and I use a lot of water when it's warm out. I've mostly ridden with backpacks and I like having half a bike shop with me on rides just in case. Over the years I learned to accept a gross sweaty weight on my back that just trapped body heat once the ice melted. That was until I got the Osprey Syncro 5. (suddenly infomercial)

The Syncro series has a trampoline back section that let a lot of airflow though. It's mostly just mesh touching your shirt instead of pads with grooves. I've never felt like those groves were doing much aside from making sure sweat channeled to my ass crack efficiently. This system works better than any of the past backpacks I've had from the basic no frills camelback to other high end bags with vented channels.

I'm going to keep the backpack for longer rides but I want to mess around with a hip pack this summer and see how that works out. Looking at that Evoc 3l.

OSPREY Syncro 5 - Test 4 Outside

• Like 2

I got my new Evoc on Saturday and rode with it yesterday  

I wanted it mainly for comfort and storage. 

It comes with a 1.5 L bladder,, 1st thing I did was Swap over my bladder from the Dakine HotLaps witha 2L bladder , it fit perfect. This does come with the 1.5 L bladder and pockets for 2 water bottles. So thats cool 

The storage was sweet for my use. Tool and C02 cartridge couple snacks and little wallet. I have a huge ass phone so that fit very nicely in the pocket right next to the bladder so it is protected. 

So far so good 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Sunday's heat, humidity, and winds were no joke. 35-mile road ride in Bastrop kicked my ass. I must have lost a lot more water than I thought I did.

I brought only two water bottles plus and one extra for the way home. Should have consumed twice that, at least. Got home and stupidly had a beer instead of tons more water. Fell asleep early, woke up a few hours later parched and with a headache and mild nausea. Didn't sleep well after that.

Drink more water, folks!

It's heathritis.

Seriously though, I rode ~5 hours and drank 5 bottles and felt OK, no headache or dehydrated at all, but we went out to dinner, 2 margaritas, 2 big glasses of water on top of 32 oz of water at home.  I still woke up thirsty and peeing very little.  I was surprised because it didn't really feel hot for me.  Normally when things heat up, I need 50-56oz per hour instead of 25-28oz/hr like I did yesterday.  Even at 50oz/hr I still have to catch up after.  Yesterday definitely caught me by surprise.  Hopefully as I acclimate I think my body will start conserving water a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was amused to see this video where Mo and Hannah are complaining about humidity in Austin ..... in what must have been early spring (references to Blue Bonnets being in bloom). Imagine what they would think in Jul-Aug! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, throet said:

Was amused to see this video where Mo and Hannah are complaining about humidity in Austin ..... in what must have been early spring (references to Blue Bonnets being in bloom). Imagine what they would think in Jul-Aug! 

They should try Houston, then come back here. Humidity here has never bothered me, Houston is terrible.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheX said:

They should try Houston, then come back here. Humidity here has never bothered me, Houston is terrible.

this is definitely the top reason that I spend as little time as possible on the Gulf Coast. that and ... everything else. a friend of mine lived there for a few years and found an apartment close to her job. got clipped by a car on her bike on her first day while riding to work and the driver just left her there. that's Houston in a nutshell for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

this is definitely the top reason that I spend as little time as possible on the Gulf Coast. that and ... everything else. a friend of mine lived there for a few years and found an apartment close to her job. got clipped by a car on her bike on her first day while riding to work and the driver just left her there. that's Houston in a nutshell for me.

A real Houston driver would have probably backed up and made sure to destroy her bike before speeding off.  Must have been a transplant driver.

I don't think I've seen a less bike friendly big city.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheX said:

When I first moved here from Houston in 2006, I noted that I only needed 2 t-shirts for a tennis match vs. the 4 that I needed for a match in Houston. Over the years though, I've either lost sight of that difference or the difference is diminishing. Seems when I was at Ft. Hood in the seventies and Texas State in the eighties, Central Texas was considered semi-arid and vastly different from the surrounding coastal areas. I'm not convinced that is the case anymore. 

• Like 3

It's the only place I've ever lived that's so humid, yet all the grass is dying. So bizarre.

Trying to make another run to spider before it gets much hotter. Following that, the summer will be spent on the trainer or in the mountains.

• Like 1

best/ worst actual trails within about a 60-minute drive when it's really hot? (joke answers: indoor trainer, watching videos, move/fly someplace cooler... har har).

at least BCGB has good tree cover but I swear it's much more humid down near the creek.

• Like 1