IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

3 hours ago, natas1321 said:

..but the mosquitoes were out in force today.

I think you need to ride a little faster!

"Although mosquitoes seem fast when you are trying to swat them, they are actually slow flyers. The average flight speed of a mosquito is 1 to 1.5 miles per hour, which is slower than butterflies, bees, and virtually every other flying insect."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Tip said:

"Although mosquitoes seem fast when you are trying to swat them, they are actually slow flyers. The average flight speed of a mosquito is 1 to 1.5 miles per hour, which is slower than butterflies, bees, and virtually every other flying insect."

Horse flies, however, as fast AF and will bite you through your clothes. Good thing we encounter far fewer of them or I'd just stay home.

• Like 2

This is true, only noticed them when I was stopped and then they swarmed to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, natas1321 said:

This is true, only noticed them when I was stopped and then they swarmed to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

What about the phenomena of getting them caught up in your slipstream?  I was told by my brother-in-law that when he rode motorcycles, he could pull up behind a semi on the highway and put the bike in neutral and just get 'pulled along'.  Sounded like a good way to die but made sense when you look at how the air comes off the back of a truck.

Did an early WC R no I lap this morn. Stopped for a minute at the start of the fence line on the neighborhood side and the little bastards were buzzing me. Must be a bunch of water on the power station property across the fence because Mark’s art was all dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

In the continuing quest to hydrate during the oppressive Texas heat I tried my old school Jandd double water bottle pack today. This was state of the art for longer rides before hydration packs.   It allowed me to carry two bottles of ice water in the pack and one on the frame.  When I got to my trail network I left it at a central hub and just swapped out new ones as I ran out.  Probably poured 30% or 40% over my head.  I’m loving riding without the camelback when it is so damned hot.  

66F2A155-FECC-4A86-B82D-D19CA73FA592.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

In the continuing quest to hydrate during the oppressive Texas heat I tried my old school Jandd double water bottle pack today. This was state of the art for longer rides before hydration packs.   It allowed me to carry two bottles of ice water in the pack and one on the frame.  When I got to my trail network I left it at a central hub and just swapped out new ones as I ran out.  Probably poured 30% or 40% over my head.  I’m loving riding without the camelback when it is so damned hot.  

My current solution, which I'm rather pleased with. This is the Aeroe rear rack, developed for bikepacking by some Kiwis, and which works well on full squish bikes with a dropper. I've been carrying two extra bottles on it, but I don't think it will be an issue to carry four - maybe freeze two of em beforehand.

IMG_20210612_093210874.jpg

IMG_20210612_093219495.jpg

• Like 1

Did this ride yesterday:  https://www.strava.com/activities/5464478824

Started before 8am.  Humidity was terrible and my pace is not fast enough to make this ride easier (it's confusing, but I think perceived hardness of this trail goes down as pace goes up because you "float" over more of the chunk than not).

I used my Osprey pack and honestly it doesn't bother me and I was glad to have 3L with me.  I was completely soaked everywhere anyway.  I had a 25oz bottle with concentrated Infinit (enough for 4 hours) and pure water in the Osprey.  We reloaded with 5 miles to go out of safety, but could have probably gone the whole ride with what we had left.

I'll have to get faster before I attempt another lap at LGT before the temps get cooler so I can finish by ~10am.

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

Started before 8am.  Humidity was terrible and my pace is not fast enough to make this ride easier (it's confusing, but I think perceived hardness of this trail goes down as pace goes up because you "float" over more of the chunk than not).

I used my Osprey pack and honestly it doesn't bother me and I was glad to have 3L with me.  I was completely soaked everywhere anyway.  I had a 25oz bottle with concentrated Infinit (enough for 4 hours) and pure water in the Osprey.  We reloaded with 5 miles to go out of safety, but could have probably gone the whole ride with what we had left.

I'll have to get faster before I attempt another lap at LGT before the temps get cooler so I can finish by ~10am.

I think if I was riding LGT in this heat, I'd take a 3L pack too.

• Like 1

After Sunday's ride, I am setting an appointment with my doctor. I literally can't fill my body with enough water to keep up, and no amount of "hydration" salty products keeps me from getting a headache for 12 hours + after even a low-effort ride in this heat.

Edited by mack_turtle

Rode 10+ miles at SN this morning. At first it was almost "cool" the dew on the grass at 7am gave a nice chill to the air when starting from the Walsh Trails side. That was quickly subsided. Never got to bad but plenty to be drenched in sweat. We stashed a cooler with water at Redhorn, tanked up and rode some more. Finally got to ride hawg jaw, its great! However, most of the low. Spots have soft mud save for one with a 20' mud bath. Came home very dirty. 

IMG_20210614_141239.jpg

• Like 1

Did 3 rides in 3 days: SN, BCGB and urban. All were 2-3 hours. 

I have gone from riding a few hours and hardly touching the water to practically emptying the camelback. Gonna try a WC ride tomorrow night without the pack and only a Dakine Hot Laps + bottles and see how that is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Even if you start at 7:30, you'd need a 2.5 hour time to finish at 10. That would be a remarkable lap on any day, let alone in this heat / humidity. 

I rode both Sat and Sun at Brushy. Started at 8 on Sat and at 9 on Sun. Definitely was more comfortable riding 8-10 vs. 9-11. Also learned that too much ice in my Osprey deprived me of some of the fluid I needed on Sat. Thought it was odd that I ran out so quickly but then realized there was still a bunch of ice melting after I got home.  

I started a 6 hour (spin time) ride just after noon on Sunday. Because as @AntonioGG and I discussed elsewhere, I'd much rather ride in the hotter temps with lower humidity. I started with 90* and 55% RH, but for the most part I was riding over 95* with RH in the 40s. I drank probably 12 bottles of water during the ride. My shirt was quite salty.

I also poured quite a few bottles worth on me towards the end. When it's really warm, I like to pour water on my jersey shoulder and sleeve. Not only does that cool me down, but I can rub my cheeks on my shoulder cooling my face. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, throet said:

Even if you start at 7:30, you'd need a 2.5 hour time to finish at 10. That would be a remarkable lap on any day, let alone in this heat / humidity. 

Who doesn't want to be like Barry? 🙂

I've done a 3hr lap--admittedly when it was cooler and I was racing against the light--so my thinking is start at 7am, or else just ride in the drier part of the day (bonus:  sleeping in).  With a few places to get water from on that loop, I think I prefer afternoon. Once I got home, I took a shower, had a beer, then a nap.  I woke up around 4pm and went outside and it felt comparably cooler to me than it did even at 10am that morning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Who doesn't want to be like Barry? 🙂

I've done a 3hr lap--admittedly when it was cooler and I was racing against the light--so my thinking is start at 7am, or else just ride in the drier part of the day (bonus:  sleeping in).  With a few places to get water from on that loop, I think I prefer afternoon. Once I got home, I took a shower, had a beer, then a nap.  I woke up around 4pm and went outside and it felt comparably cooler to me than it did even at 10am that morning.

Yeah suppose that might work for some folks, but I'm going to stick with mornings until I decide to just hang it up for the summer. Like my drill sergeant used to say, it's 101 in the shade, and there is no shade!   

image.thumb.png.d65a1cbc2f3641e826449a1f26a3db44.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

After Sunday's ride, I am setting an appointment with my doctor. I literally can't fill my body with enough water to keep up, and no amount of "hydration" salty products keeps me from getting a headache for 12 hours + after even a low-effort ride in this heat.

In previous years I was getting headaches after any longish-duration effort during the heat.  They seemed to have lessened but as I say that I am dealing with a headache from today’s ride.  Of course I worked in the yard for almost an hour before the ride and burned a brush pile after the ride so there is that.

• Like 1

Everyone take it easy. We've all been off the bike for a while, and the current conditions of combined high humidity and high temps are something we need to ease into. No shame in dusting off your hydration packs, and ... no one follow Barry. See y'all at the Nut tomorrow.

• Like 3