IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

I've gone out for a 2nd lap after 6 if I get there early, and I've started after 6 if work kept me late.  I'm not sure if I'll make it tomorrow.  My wife is back tomorrow afternoon after a 5 day trip.

Nothing wrong with doing a late solo lap and then joining in the fun later.

• Like 1

Also, I went out riding today after 7, when I was prepping my gear and getting dinner 90% there for my son, the temp was 97°F but it didn't feel bad when I checked.  Once I actually got riding some clouds blocked the sun and it felt downright cool, actually pleasant.  I got back to look at the almanac and the temp had plummeted 10°F or so.

image.thumb.png.0b47bc905f3db036ec75f389ff70b90d.png

It's getting time to be doing some night rides!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, throet said:

Can you remind us what time folks generally convene for the R&I? Any groups that go out late - like 6:30? 

Well, it's not terribly organized, but you might find someone heading out that late if you've posted up here ... which you have!

4 hours ago, TAF said:

Well, it's not terribly organized, but you might find someone heading out that late if you've posted up here ... which you have!

I think that "...not terribly organized" is being generous.  If you see a group in the island sitting on bikes with helmets on, they are probably getting ready to go out on a lap.  Just jump in, introduce yourself, and go for a good ride followed by some good company.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I think that "...not terribly organized" is being generous.  If you see a group in the island sitting on bikes with helmets on, they are probably getting ready to go out on a lap.  Just jump in, introduce yourself, and go for a good ride followed by some good company.

That was my experience except for finding out how slow I am immediately after... 😅

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

SKRATCH is what I use when it's hot, but sometimes it's just too much salt when what I need is more carb.  SKRATCH has some great gel blocks but they're pricey.  Maybe I'll just add some sugar to the SKRATCH mix. 

How to make your own homemade sports drink 

Then I came across another article that notes the importance of combining maltodextrine and fructose, along w/ electrolyte replacement in any sports drink. 

So anyway, osmolality.  Just google "osmolality and sports drinks"  You'll learn about blood plasma and gastric emptying. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, throet said:

Got a 2.5 hour meeting break! Thought about getting out for a ride, but didn't have to think long. Just going to head upstairs for some cardio and weight training instead. 

image.thumb.png.893210f451d1c796ddfcf1c1f5a23006.png

Yeah, I keep putting off core and I shouldn't since my back has been bothering when I try to put the power down on climbs.  Maybe I'll do core today.

Though yesterday at Walnut it was 99°F when I got there around 6pm and it felt fine during the ride.  I think if you want to ride, later is way better.

• Like 1

did a quick ride around SATN last night. pedaled hard for almost exactly one hour. drank 1.5L of water, which was probably more than i needed. everything felt good. I think this will be my primary approach for now: frequent rides under 90 minutes. it's the longer rides that kill me. I'll save my desire for longer rides for when the weather cools off and be thankful that I have access to 100+ miles of singletrack within two blocks of my front door.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Though yesterday at Walnut it was 99°F when I got there around 6pm and it felt fine during the ride.  I think if you want to ride, later is way better.

Yeah I was just thinking that when my wife and I went out for dinner last night it didn't feel at all uncomfortable. Will probably go out for a ride around 6:30 tonight and see how it feels - maybe just do Quarter Notch, Picnic, and Peddlers. 

• Like 1

Rode up to Rudy's for lunch with a friend. ~9 miles each way. Decided to fill my water bottle after lunch so I took my iced tea cup and filled it with ice and water at the soda fountain and then dumped it in the water bottle outside.

Started thinking about that while I was riding home.

In a post-covid world, why is there still a customer-accessible soda fountain for refills???? People taking their cups, that their lips were on and pressing them up against the levers. Ugh. Drank no water on the way home.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Rode up to Rudy's for lunch with a friend. ~9 miles each way. Decided to fill my water bottle after lunch so I took my iced tea cup and filled it with ice and water at the soda fountain and then dumped it in the water bottle outside.

Started thinking about that while I was riding home.

In a post-covid world, why is there still a customer-accessible soda fountain for refills???? People taking their cups, that their lips were on and pressing them up against the levers. Ugh. Drank no water on the way home.

CDC confirmed that this is really not a concern for passing the disease. Other diseases, probably, but COVID does not spread this way.

I've been pissed off at VCT folks for turning off the drinking fountains at the Spec's trailhead for this reason. Totally irrational!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

CDC confirmed that this is really not a concern for passing the disease. Other diseases, probably, but COVID does not spread this way.

I've been pissed off at VCT folks for turning off the drinking fountains at the Spec's trailhead for this reason. Totally irrational!

I've always been grossed out for certain sanitary things regarding restaurants.  Using the cup to push the lever is not a concern for me.  People that let the drink come up to the nozzle on refills is a concern.  Same with the cashier grabbing the cups from the inside.   I'm more concerned with norovirus and things like that though.

As far as water fountains, I opened up a 311 ticket for the fountains at town lake.

Edited by AntonioGG

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

So many fountains were turned off last summer! Fountains on which I had come to rely! Dehydration was a significantly larger concern for me than Covid in that particular scenario. 

• Like 1