IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Rode up to Rudy's for lunch with a friend. ~9 miles each way. Decided to fill my water bottle after lunch so I took my iced tea cup and filled it with ice and water at the soda fountain and then dumped it in the water bottle outside.

Started thinking about that while I was riding home.

In a post-covid world, why is there still a customer-accessible soda fountain for refills???? People taking their cups, that their lips were on and pressing them up against the levers. Ugh. Drank no water on the way home.

I found it annoying they turned the fountains off. It's pretty simple: if you're scared to contract the disease, don't drink out of public water fountains. If you're not worried about it, you can still get some water.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, quixoft said:

I found it annoying they turned the fountains off. It's pretty simple: if you're scared to contract the disease, don't drink out of public water fountains. If you're not worried about it, you can still get some water.

I also find it beyond annoying that they removed the shower/faucet at Walnut. Why, is beyond me, except that I'm pretty sure that wee shite of a PARD director finds actual park users to be damned annoying and creators of actual work for PARD staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quixoft said:

except that was never even an issue. they have known for a year now that drinking fountains are a non-issue, with information I sent them directly from the CDC. it has nothing to do with public health and everything to do with... i don't know what their problem is. do they get a kick out of inconveniencing everyone? are they saving a few bucks by keeping the water off? is there just someone on staff who is too lazy to go turn it back on? I'm not sure.

23 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Rode up to Rudy's for lunch with a friend. ~9 miles each way. Decided to fill my water bottle after lunch so I took my iced tea cup and filled it with ice and water at the soda fountain and then dumped it in the water bottle outside.

Started thinking about that while I was riding home.

In a post-covid world, why is there still a customer-accessible soda fountain for refills???? People taking their cups, that their lips were on and pressing them up against the levers. Ugh. Drank no water on the way home.

I think the general medical consensus is that it is passed person to person through airborne or droplet means. I would think not replenishing water in your system was likely much more risky than drinking from any sort of public fountain. 

8 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

except that was never even an issue. they have known for a year now that drinking fountains are a non-issue, with information I sent them directly from the CDC. it has nothing to do with public health and everything to do with... i don't know what their problem is. do they get a kick out of inconveniencing everyone? are they saving a few bucks by keeping the water off? is there just someone on staff who is too lazy to go turn it back on? I'm not sure.

Ironically throughout the pandemic the water fountain at the YMCA bathroom at the west end of the brushy creek system was open and I almost always refilled there and for some reason Cedar Park p&R decided to lock the bathrooms and access to that water fountain about 3 weeks ago! I just thought wow a little late to the party! But now they have the fountains back on at brushy lake park. Maybe there is another legitimate reason.

On a slightly different subject. Before moving here I had a pretty good group of co-workers and friends who I rode with. I've taken a few friends riding here and there since living here but primarily ride alone. When my longtime riding is buddy visited this weekend, I rode longer than I've ever done but noticed that we took several short brakes and a few long ones. Something I realized I never do when I ride alone. In this weather, I alone, I usually hit 5-6 miles on Brushy or SN before calling it quits. On Monday with breaks, I had no problem hitting 10.5. We only stopped because of a time crunch. We. Probably could have eaked out another 2 miles. 

TLDR; I can ride farther in the hot weather when I actually take breaks.

10 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

On a slightly different subject. Before moving here I had a pretty good group of co-workers and friends who I rode with. I've taken a few friends riding here and there since living here but primarily ride alone. When my longtime riding is buddy visited this weekend, I rode longer than I've ever done but noticed that we took several short brakes and a few long ones. Something I realized I never do when I ride alone. In this weather, I alone, I usually hit 5-6 miles on Brushy or SN before calling it quits. On Monday with breaks, I had no problem hitting 10.5. We only stopped because of a time crunch. We. Probably could have eaked out another 2 miles. 

TLDR; I can ride farther in the hot weather when I actually take breaks.

Yeah, I find that in really hot weather stopping to break forces me to drink water as well. Despite the fact that it is really hot, I still don't seem to drink as much as I should (during the ride). When I ride alone I have to really force myself because there is nobody else calling for a break.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The coolest July I can remember of all the years I've lived in Austin. 

This morning we rode from Braker Lane/Parkfield over to (no longer) Gnarnia, down Shoal Creek to downtown, across the little bridge and had a snack at Mellow Johnnies.  My wholesome pro biotic laced orange soda (20 calories) was completely cancelled out by a large purple rice crispie treat with sprinkles.  Weather was overcast and pleasant. 

We headed back up Shoal Creek 11:30-ish and cranked right along until we got close to Anderson Lane and the sun came out.  Stopped to drink some cold water and finish off the rice crispy treat and got going again, but barely. Then a nice cloud bank to the north brought some welcome relief, it cooled down a bit and made the rest of the ride almost pleasant.  I'm not seeing any highs over 93 degrees in the 10 day forecast.   It is hotter in Durango than it is in Austin. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, June Bug said:

The coolest July I can remember of all the years I've lived in Austin. 

This morning we rode from Braker Lane/Parkfield over to (no longer) Gnarnia, down Shoal Creek to downtown, across the little bridge and had a snack at Mellow Johnnies.  My wholesome pro biotic laced orange soda (20 calories) was completely cancelled out by a large purple rice crispie treat with sprinkles.  Weather was overcast and pleasant. 

We headed back up Shoal Creek 11:30-ish and cranked right along until we got close to Anderson Lane and the sun came out.  Stopped to drink some cold water and finish off the rice crispy treat and got going again, but barely. Then a nice cloud bank to the north brought some welcome relief, it cooled down a bit and made the rest of the ride almost pleasant.  I'm not seeing any highs over 93 degrees in the 10 day forecast.   It is hotter in Durango than it is in Austin. 

I think I passed you on the Lamar sidewalk, around 12th street yesterday morning. It was a humid morning but definitely not anywhere near as hot as it could be.

• Like 1

I rode from Cedar Park down Shoal yesterday.  Did a lap around Town Lake.  On the trip back north - I was pretty overheated (it was around 2:30 at that point).  Stopped off at Tony's to refill on H20 and barely made it back without calling for a pickup.  Definitely not my best decision making going out too late in the morning.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shinerider said:

I rode from Cedar Park down Shoal yesterday.  Did a lap around Town Lake.  On the trip back north - I was pretty overheated (it was around 2:30 at that point).  Stopped off at Tony's to refill on H20 and barely made it back without calling for a pickup.  Definitely not my best decision making going out too late in the morning.

Sorry to miss you - we had gone over to COTA to see Beyond Van Gogh, and boy was I glad that big tent is decently air-conditioned.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:22 AM, AustinBike said:

I think I passed you on the Lamar sidewalk, around 12th street yesterday morning. It was a humid morning but definitely not anywhere near as hot as it could be.

Could of been! Sorry I missed waving hello. 

20 hours ago, Shinerider said:

I was pretty overheated (it was around 2:30 at that point)

I'll bet! We got home around 1:15 -- and were glad to be done. 

We did our regular Tuesday morning social ride on Southern Walnut Creek path this morning and it was quite pleasant.  So relieved to have the traffic light operational at the Decker Lane crossing.  The pedestrian crossing button isn't installed yet, but it's still so much safer. 

Edited by June Bug

I've ridden locally now 4 days in a row since returning from riding in Colorado, and honestly it hasn't been that bad. I rode Thu-Fri evenings and rode Sat-Sun mornings. Much easier to stay cool in the morning I think - just have to remember to bring a small towel to wipe my goggles every now and then. Also when riding in the morning I generally stop mid-ride to wring out my shirt, gloves, and sweat cap. For evening rides, I just avoid areas that are exposed to the harsh sun, like 1/4 notch at Brushy. All of my summer rides have been under 2 hours.    

• Like 1

We were planning to spend 4 weeks in New Mexico, 2 in Santa Fe and 2 in Albuquerque. At this point we are going to be monitoring the Austin temps because if August is anything like July then we may just head back after 2 weeks. I was soaked this morning but it was not as bad as most Julys.

1 hour ago, throet said:

I generally stop mid-ride to wring out my shirt, gloves, 

I have been wearing wrist sweat bands the last two years. I realized that my gloves were getting so wet from sweat rolling down my arms. It is amazing how well they work keeping my gloves drier. I do stop mid-ride sometimes to squeeze them dry because when they are saturated everything just flows into the glove. 

• Like 3