IGNORED

Geometry help and education needed

I find that I know what *my geo* is and I have a hard time adapting to anything else. case-in-point: I can't find a way to adapt to my drop bar bike because all of the positions available on a drop handlebar are so tremendously different. I don't know how much of my failure to adapt to different positions is physiological and how much is psychological.

16 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I find that I know what *my geo* is and I have a hard time adapting to anything else.

I don't know how much of my failure to adapt to different positions is physiological and how much is psychological.

I'm the same but different.  I've had the luxury of being able to design and weld up the EXACT geo & fit of my choice.  I know what I like and am sensitive to it.  However, over time, I've learned that I can adapt to what I've been given pretty well.  For example, way back when I designed a bike that was a part of a triplet TF had created (and 1 was for me).  I quickly discovered that this bike did not work for my particular tastes and riding style.  I'd wager to say it was one of the least favorite bikes I've owned.  However, I also owned it (at the time) longer than any other bike prior.  Thus I adapted to it and ended up having some of my best technical rides aboard that machine (of which I really did not like).  I pulled off a 2-dab ride at Thumper on that bike...  It was then that I came to the conclusion that I (and most of us) simply have the "luxury" of being picky.  But given a vastly more limited option(s) we could all still be riding nearly the same level and stuff.  Just my .2

16 hours ago, ssorgs said:

Big reason why I do all my roadie on my mtb.  I can't imagine adapting to and managing 2 vastly different bikes!

They are for sure vastly 2 different bikes.  Its why I don't even (think to) consider them in the same category.  I'm saying this tongue-n-cheek...but I barely consider them the same sport (bicycles).  The only thing my road bike has in common with my MTB is that it has 2 wheels and you pedal it.  Outside of that I think, treat, consider them COMPLETELY different sports/activities.

When I first started moving into the 'road world' I was quickly shocked with how little overlap there was with my prior MTB world.  I say this in regards to fitness, skills, tactics, culture, etc... Like said above, they were just not comparable.  And I love them both.  Seriously, I'm equally at home with my spandex clean shaven roadie-world as I am with my dirty hippy gritty mountain bike world.  Its also part of the reason why I cringe when people say they don't like road riding....it because most have never really done it (and I don't consider pedaling down Parmer on a road bike when the trails are wet a road ride).

Cheers,
CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, CBaron said:

It was then that I came to the conclusion that I (and most of us) simply have the "luxury" of being picky.  But given a vastly more limited option(s) we could all still be riding nearly the same level and stuff.  Just my .2

I have to keep this in mind. it's amazing how mentally bent out of shape I can become when something on my bike is just a tiny bit off. it can totally ruin my mood and desire to ride. I envy people who blissfully ride ill-fitting, noisy bikes that don't function right. I've seen some totally horrible bikes on the trail and the riders are totally oblivious to the fact that their bike is a full size too big, the fork has no rebound control, their dry, squeaking chain is worn out 300%, and they have worn their grips down to the handlebar, but they don't care.

• Like 2

cool topic and timely for me.  I've just recently abandoned my only MTB from the last 10+ years which was a rigid singlespeed, for a modern geo 120mm travel front\back, 22x36 low granny 29er.  Wow...it's like learning to ride all over again! but it's coming around no problem.     Good times!

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I have to keep this in mind. it's amazing how mentally bent out of shape I can become when something on my bike is just a tiny bit off. it can totally ruin my mood and desire to ride. I envy people who blissfully ride ill-fitting, noisy bikes that don't function right. I've seen some totally horrible bikes on the trail and the riders are totally oblivious to the fact that their bike is a full size too big, the fork has no rebound control, their dry, squeaking chain is worn out 300%, and they have worn their grips down to the handlebar, but they don't care.

I never used the drops on my old Giant bike for thousands of miles, until Sol at Austin Bikes did a fit for me and suggested a different bar with much less reach and much shallower drops.  It was shocking how different it felt.  Now I use the drops all the time on my new bike with a similar fit.

• Like 3