IGNORED

Urban/Commute/Paths/About Town

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path 

Sept. 17th

Someone riding a few nights ago  reported that a large wild boar charged across the trail in front of him.  This would be north of the turnoff to the tennis courts, in the area of the large open field, before you get to Johnny Morris Rd. 

He didn't spot any sows or piglets, but I'm sure they are around. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Users of the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path ride on a sidewalk along Daffan Lane before crossing Decker Lane  to get to the final stretch of the paved path by Lake Walter E Long.

Decker Lane is not a benign little street, it's a major highway with traffic at highway speeds.  Traffic coming from one direction crests a hill with limited sight line. 

A traffic light is currently being installed at the Daffan and Decker Lanes  T intersection. A warning  light at the crest of the hill on Decker Ln will let drivers know there is a traffic light coming up.  Not sure of a completion date...but will update when there is one. 

Edited by June Bug

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Also, still had ice on some of the sections.

We rode  there on Saturday evening and had to turn around where the path crosses under Metric.  From there west, it was ice; each of us almost went down, so we turned around and went back. 

Did the Southern Walnut Creek Path this morning with our Tuesday roadie group -- first group ride with these folks in a year.

Dry and in good shape. There are a few spots with sand on the trail, but nothing problematic. 

Work is continuing on installation of the light at Decker Lane. 

• 3 months later...

Oh no, hell no, hell to the **** no.  Just no. No no no and furthermore NO! 

THIS. IS. HAPPENING. IN. AUSTIN. NOW.  I'm befuzzled.  Verklempt!  WTAFing. I, personally, am not split on the issue.  Very hard "no" from me.

Cyclists Split On Sharing Bike Lanes With Pizza Delivery Robots

On a more cheerful note, the traffic light where the Southern Walnut Creek Multiuse Path crosses Decker Lane is operational.  Right now, cyclists and pedestrians can watch the light to see when oncoming Decker Lane traffic is stopped with a red light.  Work is currently underway to install a sensor that will automatically trigger a red light for Decker Lane traffic when cyclists/pedestrians are present. 

And, I saw a road runner cross the multiuse path south of the turn off to the tennis court. Beep beep! 

Edited by June Bug

I would not sweat this one.

Autonomous pizza delivery robots are not going to happen. It's a cute parlor trick, but when push comes to shove, nobody will have these long term. 

Think about the speed that they run at and the logistics of the infrastructure. When your crappy domino's pizza took an hour to get there because of the robot, you'll never order from them. One of the big chains will come out with a "no robots, only people, so your pizza is there fast and hot" campaign and the whole robot thing will disappear.

Just think about how we were all worried about Amazon's drone delivery a few years back. The only drone delivering my amazon packages is a guy with a deadpan look in his eyes wondering why he has to drive for amazon.

• Like 3

I’m waiting to see what innovative ways people are going to jack with these things. Tipping over? Knocking in a creek? Setting up obstacles so it circles endlessly. You know there’s some scheming going on. [emoji23]

Oh and I’m sure they’ll get snickered to death.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday morning (Saturday) we met non mtn bike cycling friends for a ride up the paved San Gabriel River Trail to Lake Georgetown. Advantage: It's very shaded. We started at 8 am and it wasn't unpleasant. 

We park in the parking lot at an old elementary school which is now a Boys and Girls Club of Georgetown at 1200 W 17th Street, Georgetown  78626.  The paved path (sidewalk) starts across the street.  On Sunday mornings there may be some kind of church service, but we've parked there on Sunday AM with no problems. 

Enter that 17th St address in google maps, cross the street, and start following the green trail line (paved sidewalk) along Scenic Dr., cross S. Austin Ave (?) at a light,  go along and take a left by a cemetery down to the river,  but don't cross the river there!  The sidewalk trail will leave the river for a bit and then take a left down a switchback sidewalk (the squiggles show on google maps) back down to the river, cross the river and immediately turn left. This is just below the confluence of the North and South forks of the San Gabriel River.  

The trail goes along the river but then pops out into a neighborhood for a few blocks, and then back onto the trail.    Google maps has the best overview and shows you how to get through the neighborhood mid way before you reconnect with the trail.  When you get to Lake Georgetown, you can cross the damn and make a loop around the campground or go to a little spot that overlooks the lake for some extra credit pedaling. 

Another map here.   Overview here.

The trail has a fair amount of traffic from runners, dog walkers, hikers, walkers, but wasn't too difficult to navigate; handlebar bell is your (and their) friend.   It would be a fun trail for family or to ride with non mtb friends.  There are a few difficult spots paved with crushed granite, but easy to walk and then an insanely steep  but paved section right before the damn. 

After we get back we have brunch at Sweet Lemon Kitchen at 812 S. Church St.  (make reservations).   We called for our reservation from the dam, and give ourselves about an hour and 20 minutes to get there.  They have indoor and outdoor seating.  We were inside yesterday and I found it to be incredibly loud, but bearable.  Made for a fun morning with friends to socialize and catch up. 

Sweet Lemon has great food, but it's greatness may be lost on kids and it's  pricey, so a more kid friendly place might a better option for families.  That said, they may have a kids menu, check online.  Sweet Lemon is adjacent to Founders Square and there is a very large city parking lot across the street. I'd avoid Sweet Lemon on 2nd Saturday market day.  Way too busy and hard to find parking. 

I've also contemplated that it could be fun to camp at Lake G-town, ride into town for breakfast, and then back to the campsite.  Which could also be an option if you have mtn bikers wanting to ride trails and others who want a more casual ride in your camping group. 

Someone somewhere has a route to upload to a Garmin or other nav system.  I'll check to see if anyone in my riding group has one. 

Fast zip up to Georgetown on I 35 early on a Saturday morning; not too bad returning.  Always easy and fast on Sunday AM. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, June Bug said:

Oh no, hell no, hell to the **** no.  Just no. No no no and furthermore NO! 

THIS. IS. HAPPENING. IN. AUSTIN. NOW.  I'm befuzzled.  Verklempt!  WTAFing. I, personally, am not split on the issue.  Very hard "no" from me.

Cyclists Split On Sharing Bike Lanes With Pizza Delivery Robots

The new Tic Tok craze could be cyclist bunny hopping robots🤣

4 hours ago, June Bug said:

There are a few difficult spots paved with crushed granite, but easy to walk and then an insanely steep  but paved section right before the damn. 

Funny story.  I was the primary steward designing and building the trail between Overlook and Jim Hogg Parks when the Army Corps of Engineers asked me to scout a way up from below the dam for contractors to put in a paved path.  I flagged the corridor with flagging tape tied to the trees and delineated a switchback-style turn on the slope midway up and a less steep turn at the top.  Apparently, the construction company misread my flags, skipped the turn, and went straight uphill.  :-/

I'm sure it's a fun challenge for some and a vexing curse for others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

anyone know of some good routes to take around southeast Austin? I am trying to string together a road/trail route that includes Onion Creek, East Williamson Creek, McKinney Falls, Richard Moya Park, Country Club Creek, and Roy Guerro. If I do that right, it could be part of a bigger loop that includes SATN, Walnut Creek South, Mueller, and Shoal Creek.

This is a cool project!  I can offer only my experience riding along Burleson rd in the Richard Moya Park area.  It has a bike lane but it’s sketchy with heavy truck traffic.  There is a shared path along the road for a good bit of it, but not all.

Check out where this truck is (from google maps)

image.thumb.png.f33ade481e3165e3258c84636518461c.png

• Like 1

Interesting!

Gradient Boundary

it seems possible that traversing any stream across "private property" might be legal so long as you stay close enough to the water. whether doing so is practical in any given creekbed is another issue. many of the places I'd like to place a long route are along creeks that have adjacent private property, so i skip them. example: connecting Southpark Meadows to Onion Creek:

586084221_ScreenShot2021-11-11at6_45_15AM.thumb.png.d86c396390c41d9c9acd2e018c1ebc6b.png

I-35 runs along the left side of the map above, and Onion Creek is on the top-left corner. the interesting way to get there would be to follow the creek, but that appears to be all private and fenced off. The alternative is Brandt Road, which is very narrow and windy. that sketches me out on a bike, but it appears to have low traffic.

• Like 1