IGNORED

Urban/Commute/Paths/About Town

Also, I think you need to set your sights on the JF100. This is a 100-mile urban singlespeed ride. It happens every year when I finally get around to doing it. It conveniently starts and ends at my house. Zip ties are available for those that bring the wrong bike and want to experience the joy of singlespeeding.

• Like 1

Laziness reigns at this point. Once a year we decide to do a 100 miler. I need to ping some of the people and see if there is an appetite for one after thanksgiving. Maybe the weekend of 12/4, depending on weather. 

It is a loop from central Austin up to Walnut Creek, over to the west side, down to Mopac and 360, over through Guerrero Park, up the SWCT out to 290, then back down through the city and up to my house. We would have to start early in the dark because of the time change, usually this happens around June but I have been sidetracked.

• Like 1

"Gradient Boundary"

Very interesting. I can think of several areas where this could be used as an argument for access. One being the north bank of Williamson Creek where that church gentleman was so adamant about their property going all the way to the center of the stream a few years ago. It could also be used to open up going south of Wyldwood to follow Slaughter Creek from the Veloway to Bauerle. That would be cool.

I know "navigable water way" has been bandied about as a way to gain access through lands. But I haven't heard gradient boundary before. 

It must not be a perfect solution though. I know the city has tried to gain access along Williamson Creek west of Brush Country to extend the Williamson Creek Greenbelt all the way to the ball fields at 290/71. There are three parcels of land block it just west of Brush Country. As far as I know the city has still not found a solution to getting past that land. Seems like they would be even more motivated now that the city as acquired the land behind Valero for a pocket park.

• Like 1

I had Cycle Progression add a kickstand to my commuter bike to end the "Dammit, my bike just fell over AGAIN" urban commuting saga. 

I ride my bike to Hyde Park Gym on a regular basis.  I lock it to a square metal sign post where it's in direct view of the front counter through a big picture window. 

Awhile back as I was doing lock up, the front wheel rotated around and the bike fell over, damaging the rear derailleur, leading to the installation of Box 1 drive train that had been sitting in a box for over 6 months.  So, from a triple chain ring set up to single chain ring in front, win win maybe. 

Last month, the EXACT same thing happened, bike fell over, but this time it resulted in  non obvious damage to the front brake, which then failed abruptly on the ride home, leaking fluid all over my hand in the process.  The rear derailleur wasn't broken but needed major readjustment. 

Cycle Progression repaired the cabling , replaced the broken brake lever, adjusted the derailleur and while in the shop, I told them to root around and find a kick stand and install it. Handiest thing ever and bike will not fall over again.  

Cost of parts and labor for bike falling over twice:  around $100  (not counting new drive train). 

Cost of kickstand: < $12. 

Cycle Progession is a block south of Hyde Park Gym on Guadalupe.  Note that the shop cat is on extended leave until remodeling is completed. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

Riparian law is very interesting, including the right to stop up to a certain distance from the waterway, but certain rich property owners like to limit access to waterways.  I can't remember what I was reading or watching about someone testing this by trying to kayak through some areas and having country club security and in general random a-holes threaten them and throw stuff at them.  Then there's the other extreme of people going nuts while tubing down rivers and generally making it a nightmare for the people that live along those rivers.

3 hours ago, June Bug said:

Awhile back as I was doing lock up, the front wheel rotated around and the bike fell over, damaging the rear derailleur...

Interesting you post this, since just this morning, I was reading a review on the RadPower cargo bike, which includes a centering spring for the front wheel.  The comments wondered if the geometry was so bad that it needed this centering spring, but my immediate thought was about the bike on a kickstand while parked doing exactly what has happened to you.

I'm not sure if I'll get a cargo bike, but I def see myself getting a commuter e-bike.

• Like 1

I had Cycle Progression add a kickstand to my commuter bike to end the "Dammit, my bike just fell over AGAIN" urban commuting saga. 

I ride my bike to Hyde Park Gym on a regular basis.  I lock it to a square metal sign post where it's in direct view of the front counter through a big picture window. 

Awhile back as I was doing lock up, the front wheel rotated around and the bike fell over, damaging the rear derailleur, leading to the installation of Box 1 drive train that had been sitting in a box for over 6 months.  So, from a triple chain ring set up to single chain ring in front, win win maybe. 

Last month, the EXACT same thing happened, bike fell over, but this time it resulted in  non obvious damage to the front brake, which then failed abruptly on the ride home, leaking fluid all over my hand in the process.  The rear derailleur wasn't broken but needed major readjustment. 

Cycle Progression repaired the cabling , replaced the broken brake lever, adjusted the derailleur and while in the shop, I told them to root around and find a kick stand and install it. Handiest thing ever and bike will not fall over again.  

Cost of parts and labor for bike falling over twice:  around $100  (not counting new drive train). 

Cost of kickstand: < $12. 

Cycle Progession is a block south of Hyde Park Gym on Guadalupe.  Note that the shop cat is on extended leave until remodeling is completed. 

JB, how do you like the 1x set up on your urban bike?  

31 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Riparian law is very interesting, including the right to stop up to a certain distance from the waterway, but certain rich property owners like to limit access to waterways.

I suppose Sandy Creek in Llano is generally considered a non-navigable waterway--presumably because there is no water much of the time anyway, and when it is there is is very shallow. I had what I thought was a the spectacular idea of fat biking Sandy Creek during the driest part of the year. But then I noticed a lot of the creek bed was populated with no trespassing signs, and there are even fences across the creek bed in spots. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I suppose Sandy Creek in Llano is generally considered a non-navigable waterway--presumably because there is no water much of the time anyway, and when it is there is is very shallow. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/navigability.phtml

Interesting page from Texas Parks and Wildlife. It seems navigable is more defined by width of creek bed rather than amount of water. I would imagine the "fight" would come down to who can afford the lawyers the longest. Does the trail builder group have the resources or does the landowner?

3 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

JB, how do you like the 1x set up on your urban bike?  

I like it, just had to get used to not shifting among chain rings! 

The old triple had pretty amazing range, but don't really miss it since there aren't any big climbs on the commute. 

I think this 1x set up has 10 rings on the cassette. There is this one spot in the middle where I keep shifting back and forth for the sweet spot that isn't there.  Minor quibble, though.  

I have a double chain ring on my Salsa Spearfish, and am quite happy with that set up. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Barry said:

I suppose Sandy Creek in Llano is generally considered a non-navigable waterway--presumably because there is no water much of the time anyway, and when it is there is is very shallow. I had what I thought was a the spectacular idea of fat biking Sandy Creek during the driest part of the year. But then I noticed a lot of the creek bed was populated with no trespassing signs, and there are even fences across the creek bed in spots. 

I jogged a dry creek bed in the SW side of town, well, closer to Driftwood really.  It was pretty wide and mostly dry and some of the neighbors had chairs and fire pits right on the creek bed. The only no trespassing signs I saw were on the properties, not on the creek bed.  I even said hi to some of them and nobody said anything.

• 1 month later...

Not in our city, but a cyclist on a new paved connector trail (Mason Creek Trail) between Katy and somewhere else, was attacked by a jogger with a pipe.  

The cyclist had a helmet camera  filming forward and back.  He passed a jogger outbound, turned around at the path's end and on the way back passed  the jogger again and that's when the jogger guy  tried to stick a pipe in his spokes. 

Every article notes that the cyclist was riding a Specialized Roubaix!  The rider managed to escape without injury and called police. 

Video shows shirtless Katy man attacking area cyclist with metal pipe

Nulisch [shirtless jogger dude with pipe] was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony that carries a punishment of up to 20 years in prison. He was booked and released on a $25,000 bond

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, June Bug said:

I have a double chain ring on my Salsa Spearfish, and am quite happy with that set up. 

Update: Dropper seat-post lever, added early Fall 2022, doesn't play well with shifting lever for the two chainrings; not enough real estate for both to be used easily.  It's awkward. 

You really gotta have a 1x set up - shifting stuff on the right side of the handle bar, unimpeded easy access to dropper lever on the left. 

44 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't know if people of Reddit are going to really do anything, but this is terrifying to anyone who rides here. 

summary: people driving on bike path because a) they suck and b) the nearby roads don't have enough space for traffic.

Looks like that’s over on the new Mokan trail that runs from behind the apartment building across from Govalle along the RR tracks (mokan line) over to Springdale. I think most riders take Shady Lane towards the lake still. 

6 minutes ago, Bart said:

What is a Squee customer? I ride the new section quite abit towards Springdale without issues.

It's a coffee/dessert shop called OMG Squee.  It shares a space with Eastside Pedal Pushers, which is right next to a bike path. The store was struggling, but Queer Eye featured it in an episode last season when they were in Austin (yes, I've watched every episode) and popularity has exploded since then. I wanted to visit for a long time because they seem to be the only place in town with Ube flavored drinks but they had weird hours. I finally went when it was not too busy and it was nice, but that location is not good for the amount of traffic they're getting now.

image.png.70d2230d3eb0e4ca35d4a17c18cce738.png

I thought there was a bike path right there. The satellite image and Street View are out of date.

Edited by mack_turtle

12 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

Looks like that’s over on the new Mokan trail that runs from behind the apartment building across from Govalle along the RR tracks (mokan line) over to Springdale. I think most riders take Shady Lane towards the lake still. 

Actually I have switched. You can go under Airport on that spur trail, then hit Mansell south (over the pedestrian bridge) and head east on Gonzales to pick up Shady. A little bit longer but no traffic lights or traffic to deal with.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

It's a coffee/dessert shop called OMG Squee.  It shares a space with Eastside Pedal Pushers, which is right next to a bike path...but that location is not good for the amount of traffic they're getting now.

I saw a pic in the last few days of the parking scene related to an OMG Squee "event".  People were driving across the bike path to park on the grass beside the path. 

On 11/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, The Tip said:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/navigability.phtml

Interesting page from Texas Parks and Wildlife. It seems navigable is more defined by width of creek bed rather than amount of water. I would imagine the "fight" would come down to who can afford the lawyers the longest. Does the trail builder group have the resources or does the landowner?

In Llano, the fight would be what your family can do after a ranch owner immediately shoots you dead for trespassing. "this is mah propartay!"

I saw a pic in the last few days of the parking scene related to an OMG Squee "event".  People were driving across the bike path to park on the grass beside the path. 

And nothing will be done. anyone could drive their SUV all over that bike path and no city employee would bat an eye.